BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Extreme Weather At Ewood!

50 yards stopping distance at 70 mph? You must be crackers. Read the highway code and you'll find it's 96 metres under normal driving conditions. I know you'll respond with all the usual guff about modern cars but if you seriously believe 50 yards is the correct stopping distance at 70mph in these conditions you need to think again. You approve of tailgating at 70mph?

10500 miles of UK motorway with 500 yards per car = room for no more than 35000 cars using a Mway in the UK at any one time..... and you say that I am crackers! Paul there isn't room for everybody to leave 500 yards room in front of them. :rolleyes:

Anyway don't forget modern cars stop quicker. :P

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10500 miles of UK motorway with 500 yards per car = room for no more than 35000 cars using a Mway in the UK at any one time..... and you say that I am crackers! Paul there isn't room for everybody to leave 500 yards room in front of them. :rolleyes:

Anyway don't forget modern cars stop quicker. :P

That's why less cars are on the motorways in winter theno.....

Disappointing that the thread has become an argument about how to drive in winter! laugh.gif

I'm sure everyone on here uses plain common sense and doesn't get themselves into any bother in these conditions.

In the meantime, Darwen looked fantastic this morning in the crisp sunshine

4254649367_f5fb3bd297.jpg

10500 miles of UK motorway with 500 yards per car = room for no more than 35000 cars using a Mway in the UK at any one time..... and you say that I am crackers! Paul there isn't room for everybody to leave 500 yards room in front of them. rolleyes.gif

Anyway don't forget modern cars stop quicker. tongue.gif

As usual your arguement falls down through ignoring the original post to suit your own agend. By all means carry on but please go back and read what I was actually discussing. To summarise, traffic levels were about 20% of norm, I KNEW the area I was approaching was hazardous having viewed the earlier accident, 20mph on the warning signs so I was travelling at around twice the recommended speed by doing 35-40mph, and I was commenting on the driving ability of perhaps 90% of those out an about on the M65. From your remarks it would seem you're in the majority on this one, which must make a refreshing change for you. If people like to tailgate at 70mph, in icy conditions, that's OK with me so long as they don't come along with all the usual rubbih about how appalling it is "they" haven't cleared the roads adequately.

50 yards stopping distance at 70 mph? You must be crackers. Read the highway code and you'll find it's 96 metres under normal driving conditions. I know you'll respond with all the usual guff about modern cars but if you seriously believe 50 yards is the correct stopping distance at 70mph in these conditions you need to think again. You approve of tailgating at 70mph?

As for the road being fine try telling that to the guy in the red VW who span his car in the middle lane under a bridge near J4.

Quite right but as an essential worker who hasn't been in for two days the good lady felt she should make the effort. We waited till 9.30 to avoid traffic and make it as easy as possible.

50 yards is a good measure for how close you should be, as for stopping distances, the car in front is not going to suddenly stop giving you 50 yards to halt yourself. Once its brake lights come on then you know to break.

You will cause more accidents being 500 yards behind than you would be say 100 yards behind.

Ive been really frustrated at people driving ultra slow at the moment, if you cant drive in this weather, dont.

As usual your arguement falls down through ignoring the original post to suit your own agend. By all means carry on but please go back and read what I was actually discussing. To summarise, traffic levels were about 20% of norm, I KNEW the area I was approaching was hazardous having viewed the earlier accident, 20mph on the warning signs so I was travelling at around twice the recommended speed by doing 35-40mph, and I was commenting on the driving ability of perhaps 90% of those out an about on the M65. From your remarks it would seem you're in the majority on this one, which must make a refreshing change for you. If people like to tailgate at 70mph, in icy conditions, that's OK with me so long as they don't come along with all the usual rubbih about how appalling it is "they" haven't cleared the roads adequately.

On the contrary. It's YOU who is victim of ignoring the original post to suit your own agenda. Please read my opening sentence again....... maybe a little slower might help. ;)

"Hold on there Paul. I detest the slow and shallow of thought who do not leave enough room in front of them to stop in an emergency but the MWays are not all that slippy."

500 yards is ludicrous! It's 5 times the length of Ewood Park ffs! As I said you could turn an oil tanker in that distance.

Travelling with you must be like 'Driving Miss Daisy'. :rolleyes:

As someone who has traveled the length of the M65 to and from work this week I actually think most drivers have been better than normal. In fact in the parts where the m-way goes from 3 to 2 lanes the outside lane is more or less empty as it isn't fully clear of snow and ice. There are some absolute nutters doing 80+ in that lane, but most have been better than usual (which is normally go as fast as you can till you get to the lane closure signs, before slamming on and trying to feed into nose to tail traffic going 20-30mph slower).

As for leaving gaps, most people have been more courteous than normal, but there are always exceptions.

Stopping distances on ice? Depends on the ice rather than the driver and their brakes surely.

Does anyone remember a midweek game against Millwall at Ewood many many years ago when the weather was brutally cold, it may well have been a cup replay.

I remember actually being taken to the game by my mum to ensure that I was wrapped up and then being picked up outside the Ewood WMC after the game.

Rovers won incidentally.

We're having a collection in our village to get the road gritted. Found a guy with a load of grit, two blokes, two shovels and a lorry. Hopefully sometime Monday.

Does anyone remember a midweek game against Millwall at Ewood many many years ago when the weather was brutally cold, it may well have been a cup replay.

I remember actually being taken to the game by my mum to ensure that I was wrapped up and then being picked up outside the Ewood WMC after the game.

Rovers won incidentally.

Can you do that pre-match routine for the Semi, please?

I've got some good memories of snowy pitches at Ewood. Anyone remember The Four Pennies playing on a snowy Ewood pitch in an attempt to drum up more support ( nothing changes there then ). Think it was against Arsenal in the FA cup. Another year we played Villa in a blizzard at Ewood and battered them 5-0. Byrom and McEvoy ran riot that day getting all five goals. Gordon Lee was coming to the end of his playing career for Villa, he was a better manager than a left back.

I've got some good memories of snowy pitches at Ewood. Anyone remember The Four Pennies playing on a snowy Ewood pitch in an attempt to drum up more support ( nothing changes there then ). Think it was against Arsenal in the FA cup. Another year we played Villa in a blizzard at Ewood and battered them 5-0. Byrom and McEvoy ran riot that day getting all five goals. Gordon Lee was coming to the end of his playing career for Villa, he was a better manager than a left back.

I was there Tyrone.

It was January 2nd 1965. The game was against Aston Villa. It was the game you refer to when Rovers won 5-1 (Byrom 3 McEvoy 2).

We played Arsenal in an FA Cup tie the following season.(Won 3-0 again McEvoy 2 & Byrom scoring the goals). :)

If anyone's driving in from the Bury / Edgworth direction for the game tomorrow, be aware that currently Roman Road is closed between Blacksnape (just past the Red Lion) and the Crown and Thistle at Grimehills.

I drove back to Darwen yesterday evening that way and it was incredible, the wind was whipping the snow off the moors and causing it to drift up against the banked snow at the side of the road and all over the road surface - and at the same time it felt like being in a full-on blizzard even though no snow was actually falling.

The room between the walls of banked snow was barely wide enough for one car. It was like being in a microclimate in the high alps.

From tomorrows LET - "Blackburn with Darwen council is waiting for a delivery of 300 tonnes of "white salt", after its supplies of rock salt ran out. It will be mixed with grit to create an alternative to rock salt".

Not good enough. This stuff doesn't have a use by date, and around here it would cost next to nothing to keep plenty in store. Councils should be prepared for the worst conditions, not the minimum conditions they appear to hope and budget for.

20-30 councils turned down an offer of cheap salt preferring to stick to the minimum 6 days supply ... rolleyes.gif

Rovers won incidentally.

I remember it. It was the 3rd round of the FA Cup 1979. Rovers had been drawn as the away team ... but due to Millwall's 'fan' problems the game was staged at Ewood. It snowed heavily in the days leading up to the game and I remember going down to Ewood the day before the game was due to be played (school was cancelled) and volunteering my snow shoveling services ... the groundsman as good as told me to get lost! When the game was eventually played (10th Jan) Rovers won 2-1 ... already knowing that the prize on offer was a 4th round tie at Anfield.

I remember it. It was the 3rd round of the FA Cup 1979. Rovers had been drawn as the away team ... but due to Millwall's 'fan' problems the game was staged at Ewood. It snowed heavily in the days leading up to the game and I remember going down to Ewood the day before the game was due to be played (school was cancelled) and volunteering my snow shoveling services ... the groundsman as good as told me to get lost! When the game was eventually played (10th Jan) Rovers won 2-1 ... already knowing that the prize on offer was a 4th round tie at Anfield.

And that was as good as it got. We lost 1-0 to Lpool courtesy of a KMD goal following a cross from Heighway whose introduction on the left wing for an ineffective David Fairclough midway through the second half had changed the game entirely.

Archived