BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Console Wars

I can understand that. I think there are some people who are playstation players and some are xbox, I'm not talking about being a fanboy and only saying one is good, but one machine may just be more suited to you. I'm not really one or the other, I preferred playstations for a long time, but I just like the 360 and, despite the many faults it certainly has, I think it is the better machine (at the moment). Having said that, my big gripe about games consoles at the moment isn't really with the consoles, the controllers or the tvs, it's about the games. There are a serious lack of high quality games that get anywhere close to using the graphics they could, if they do then they are usually a let-down when it comes to gameplay.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been on Xbox Live either, but isn't Xbox Live Arcade supposed to be a selling point to it as well?

I know that the PS3 is trying to emulate Live Arcade (see flOw, old PS1 titles available to download, Q*bert etc.) but from what I know it pales in comparison. Is Live Arcade a big deal? I dunno, but I do know that the Wii's Virtual Console is great as I've played some old games that are still fantastic.

I can understand that. I think there are some people who are playstation players and some are xbox, I'm not talking about being a fanboy and only saying one is good, but one machine may just be more suited to you. I'm not really one or the other, I preferred playstations for a long time, but I just like the 360 and, despite the many faults it certainly has, I think it is the better machine (at the moment). Having said that, my big gripe about games consoles at the moment isn't really with the consoles, the controllers or the tvs, it's about the games. There are a serious lack of high quality games that get anywhere close to using the graphics they could, if they do then they are usually a let-down when it comes to gameplay.

To be honest I used to be in love with the sega saturn and to this day I still say it kicked the Playstations ass - in my eyes anyway. When they stopped the saturn I have in and bought a playstation - Fingers crossed for me that history isnt repeating itself.

heapbag Posted Today, 18:17

I've never been on Xbox Live either, but isn't Xbox Live Arcade supposed to be a selling point to it as well?

I know that the PS3 is trying to emulate Live Arcade (see flOw, old PS1 titles available to download, Q*bert etc.) but from what I know it pales in comparison. Is Live Arcade a big deal? I dunno, but I do know that the Wii's Virtual Console is great as I've played some old games that are still fantastic

When I see some games I think - yeah, I remember that and have to have it so I go and download Tekken - Crash - Wipeout however when it comes to actually playing them again I dont touch them. Why would I load up crash bandicoot when I have call of duty 4 and Rainbow 6 Vegas. I suspect that I will be one of the people downloading street fighter but again probably wont play it much

I had the Saturn also. Loved it Virtua Cop, Sega worldwide soccer (good at the time), Sega rally, Virtua Fighter. I bought the N64 when they stopped making the games. Still think that Goldeneye was the best game ever. The problem is the price with the playstation I think. All my mates have got PS2s still because they can't afford the PS3 yet. Just hope they don't choose the 360.

I got mine as my engagement present from the Mrs to be, otherwise I'd have waited until the price came down.

I know that the PS3 is trying to emulate Live Arcade (see flOw, old PS1 titles available to download, Q*bert etc.) but from what I know it pales in comparison. Is Live Arcade a big deal? I dunno, but I do know that the Wii's Virtual Console is great as I've played some old games that are still fantastic.

I like Xbox Live Arcade and I play quite a few arcade titles regularly. The games are reasonable and good fun. The great thing is you can try them for free first and pay for them later if you want.

The thing I think I'd miss the most if I went from the 360 to the PS3 is actually the achievements. Silly really, but they are a lot of fun. Personally, I don't see what the PS3 can offer me at this time that the 360 can't. The sony exclusives don't really bother me that much and most games are multiplatform anyway. I've really enjoyed the 360 so far and when it did have problems, the customer service was excellent and everything was taken care of quickly.

When home is released, I can see Sony eventually starting to charge for it. They say it will be supported by advertising, but I very much doubt the lure of £$ will be easy to ignore. Perhaps we will have to pay for an online experience without the ads...

Oh, and we will pay at least 50% more for it than any other country!

When home is released, I can see Sony eventually starting to charge for it. They say it will be supported by advertising, but I very much doubt the lure of £$ will be easy to ignore. Perhaps we will have to pay for an online experience without the ads...

Oh, and we will pay at least 50% more for it than any other country!

If its web page based i can see it end up having popups soon for the advertisements :P

No PC's are just fine for playing with friends, can't see a problem with that. Just stick it on the main TV, wireless xbox 360 controllers, plug the optical port in to the amp for DD5.1 and you are away.

The thing that I don't like about PC gaming is that yes, they are far more powerful, if you can afford them. I used to be a game chaser, upgrading every year. Heck I upgraded last year to a dual core processor, more memory, new graphics card but even now, if I wanted the best out of crysis I would have to upgrade yet again.

I decided to stop that eternal chase and play games on a console that doesn't need hacking around with every time a new game comes out.

The only types of games I play on the PC now are Command and Conquer and Solitare.

I think Biddy has hit the nail there avout PCs - the cost is just stupid.

A good gamer system is going to cost you something like 5 times the cost of a console.

I used to play PC games but also got tired of the chasing - at least a console can be expected to have a "good" 3 year lifespan (takeing away the run-in and out periods). Then some favourite older games wont work on your beefed-up rig! Taking value for money and hassle into considertaion i'd say consoles win easily. Of course if money is no object .......... buy the lot!

Another thing that used to bug me when playing multiplayer on pc was the fact that you just knew that some people had massive advantage over you. Either because they just have a beast of a system or because they are "cheating". Used to really ###### me off. Consoles are a lot better in this respect but still far from perfect although improving.

From reading the article linked by Flopsy, it seems that nvidia and the like are hoping that crysis can instill some into the graphics card market - I think that the 360 PS3 and even the Wii have put a serious dent in their economic fortunes! After all why pay may for a graphics card than a full console?

• 3 months later...

Archived