BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Carling Cup Qtr Fnl. Home To Arsenal

Just hoping that it is a decent game of football and that the professionals in the side turn out a professional display. In many ways we have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Certainly a win would help to disperse the gloom and doom of recent outings.

Here we have a real test of the man management skills of Hughesey and a real examination of the commitment and attitude of the players. Remember guys, Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori... (or Dulce et decorum est, pro Blackburn Rovers mori).

C'mon you Blues - let's fight to the death :rover:

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if this is more Arsene mind games but the Times are reporting:

Arsenal (from) Fabianski; J Hoyte, Senderos, Song, Traoré, Diaby, Gilberto, Song, Walcott, Bendtner, Eduardo, Mannone, G Hoyte, Song, Diarra, Denilson, Lansbury, Pérez, Barazite, Gallas.

If that is the squad that has travelled, all I can say is we need our backsides kicking if we are not in the semi-final draw.

3 SONG's in one team...........................?

Thats more than we can expect to get out of the Blackburn End all night :D

Come on Rovers - BELIEVE - Wembley is two games away. That should be enough motivation.

One Love - BRFC

I think we'll look good, because we'll be able to pass the ball and move around, so it will be pretty, problem is I think they'll be better than us at it. When sides try and pass we look good too, our big problem now is when sides are direct and close us down quickly, particularly in midfield.

:rover: who was that clown who said the club should not take the carling cup seriously,most important game off the season,i expect 3 injuries and a 6-4 scoreline in favour off the arse,team selection i will leave to sparky he can certianly pull a few rabbits out of the hat,savage and reid in centre mid :unsure: mgp on the left :blink: and benni up front :brfcsmilie:

When the draw was made, this wasn't that important of a game. We were in good form and a great league position, now that we are dropping down the league this game takes on added important. Despite the quality of teams that are left in, this may well be our best chance at getting back into Europe. We have to take this very seriously.

:rover: who was that clown who said the club should not take the carling cup seriously,most important game off the season,i expect 3 injuries and a 6-4 scoreline in favour off the arse,team selection i will leave to sparky he can certianly pull a few rabbits out of the hat,savage and reid in centre mid :unsure: mgp on the left :blink: and benni up front :brfcsmilie:

If we play Savage we are done for - he was like a bloody windmill on saturday - all flailing arms and no action. We need Tugay with some killer passes. Agree with Benni up front - he ows us big time.

One Love - BRFC

In last seasons FA cup match at Arsenal, which was 3 days after the trip to Leverkusen, we fought like mad men and with some amazing saves from Freidel we got away with a 0-0 draw. I went to the replay , expecting a defeat and was hugely delighted with Bennis late winner after coming on as a sub, following a week or two of poor performances.

Although we are not playing too well at the moment, I still feel we could spring this one from them, but it will obviously be very tight. First goal will be crucial, as the heads could easily go down if we concede an early goal-we have not scored first in a league match since October 20th at home to Reading.

For the uninitiated at Ewood, if you are coming tonight-be prepared to freeze your bones, it will be absolutely chuffing freezin come 9.30 pm.

Just reading the Arsenal team news - 'Please note that Theo Walcott has pulled out of tonight's squad due to waking up this morning feeling unwell'.

The prospect of visiting Blackburn on a freezing cold Tuesday night in December left me with the same feeling this morning.

That and the fact the best team in the league are visiting days after we shipped five against Wigan!

If Benni is to start, then in my eyes this is his last chance, if he can't get up for this one then sell him. Tugay is a must tonight as well for me, without him we don't have a footballing central midfielder, i.e someone who can put there foot on the ball and pick a pass, and that is a must in any succesful team.

My prediction......

Blackburn 1-2 Arsenal (A.E.T.)

Bentley (23) A.Foreigner (19)

Attendance - 16,327

Team selection will not just be a case of dropping people tonight. We played with ten men for a lot of Saturdays match. Plus there has not been much recovery time.

So Hughes may not to start with certain players. For example, the Wigan match was Reid's first start for a long time, surely his body must be aching a bit (not sure). Also, for those spring chickens in our side, this match may have come again too soon (Savage, McCarthy). Even though I am sure Sav would play in this match.

I cannot believe Roberts & the Axes timing with regards to their transfer requests. Xmas/New Year period is typically the busiest of the year, so it was pretty obvious they would have a chance to show us they are 'worthy' of being in the first choice eleven.

Certainly, the team selection will be an interesting one tonight.

The Gunners 16-man squad announced on the club’s official website: Abou DIABY (Age 21), Philippe SENDEROS (Age 22), Lassana DIARRA (Age 22), EDUARDO (Age 24), DENILSON (Age 19), Alex SONG (Age 20), Lukasz FABIANSKI (GK) (Age 22), Nicklas BENDTNER (Age 19), Armand TRAORE (Age 18), Justin HOYTE (Age 22), Kieran GIBBS (Age 18), Mark RANDALL (Age 18), Vito MANNONE (GK) (Age 19), Gavin HOYTE (Age 17), Fran MERIDA (Age 17),

as announced via their text serive earlier today.

Walcott pulls out with illness, Van Persie not considered and no Lehman ?

The Gunners 16-man squad announced on the club’s official website: Abou DIABY (Age 21), Philippe SENDEROS (Age 22), Lassana DIARRA (Age 22), EDUARDO (Age 24), DENILSON (Age 19), Alex SONG (Age 20), Lukasz FABIANSKI (GK) (Age 22), Nicklas BENDTNER (Age 19), Armand TRAORE (Age 18), Justin HOYTE (Age 22), Kieran GIBBS (Age 18), Mark RANDALL (Age 18), Vito MANNONE (GK) (Age 19), Gavin HOYTE (Age 17), Fran MERIDA (Age 17),

as announced via their text serive earlier today.

Walcott pulls out with illness, Van Persie not considered and no Lehman ?

Good find Warren. We should have too much for that team I would have thought. No excuses.

Don't forget to bring the nappies!

Gibbs, Randall and G Hoyte are meant to be the future of English soccer alongside J Hoyte and Walcott in Arsene's view of the world. Will be interesting to see what they are like if they get a run at Ewood tonight.

On a moment's reflection, if MGP cannot assert himself physically against this lot tonight, he and we are in deep trouble.

I'd go with

Friedel

Kane Samba Nelsen Warnock

Bentley Dunn Tugay MGP

Santa Cruz Derbyshire

The only thing i may be tempted to alter in that team is drop MGP and bring in either Axe or Sav to play DM, with Dunny LM. Whilst Tugay wll sit he can't tackle and we need to tackle these kids, they are bloody good on the ball.

Kane would be my first choice for RB as Zurab didn't look amazing there before, but needs must.

Do Arsenal need CRB clearance for some of these? Are they old enough to be away from home for the night? If we can't beat the kindergarten I may be found hanging from a lamp post near Albion Mill.

With a packet of sweets, and a cheeky smile, Wenger....: "Don't worry Mrs Diaby, Senderos, Diarra, Eduardo, Denilson, Song, Fabianski, Bendtner, Traore, Hoyte, Gibbs, Randall, Mannone, Hoyte, Merida - I'll have them back shortly after 10.00. Honest."

Do Arsenal need CRB clearance for some of these? Are they old enough to be away from home for the night? If we can't beat the kindergarten I may be found hanging from a lamp post near Albion Mill.

Don't underestimate that squad because of their age Paul. Technically, they will be better than 90% of our team.

This is a huge game and one where experience will be everything. Keep it to the tried and tested, this is not a time to start blooding youngsters because we simply don't have the luxury of competing in as many competitions as Arsenal.

I wouldn't want to drop any of our players who are capable of being a match winner. As poor as MGP has been, he has the ability to score a cracking free kick of long distance goal, while we all know McCarthy's quaity. Reid isn't ready for such a massive game.

I'd go with:

I'd go with:

Friedel

Zurab / Nelsen / Samba / Warnock

Bentley / Savage / Dunn / Pedersen

Santa Cruz / McCarthy

It worked earlier in the season, and every one of them has experience at the top level.

We have been poor recently, but I think this team has more than enough to beat Arsenal's youngsters tonight.

2-1 Rovers.

Archived