BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Likely Transfer Window Targets

Im wondering if anyone has looked out this way in the US? We have good players that i think could make an impact. I mean look at Clint Depsey, hes been great for fulham and do i even have to bring up our own yank? I think not. Mabye theres not a big chance of it happening but has anyone looked?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone who I'd both love and hate to see in a Rovers shirt is Juan Roman Riquelme. Utterly brilliant player, more Tugayesque than Tugay himself, and is in the freezer at Villareal. The downsides are of course severe though; He's not a Mark Hughes type of player in that his work rate is very low. I'd imagine he'd cost quite a bit as well. For those reasons I very much doubt it'll happen, but if you're looking at creative central midfielders (Which is something a lot of people seem to want) you can't get more creative than that.

The People reckon Diaby might be off to Spurs for 7 million. Can't see it myself but maybe Wenger is putting Denilson through. Would love to see us go for him. Don't think they'll get 7 million together though...

Don't know about Sapara, is this a Champ Manager thing or is he really good?

The People reckon Diaby might be off to Spurs for 7 million. Can't see it myself but maybe Wenger is putting Denilson through. Would love to see us go for him. Don't think they'll get 7 million together though...

Something is going rather well at Rosenborg:

P W D L F A GD PTS

1 Chelsea 4 2 2 0 5 2 3 8

2 Rosenborg 4 2 1 1 5 3 2 7

3 Schalke 04 4 1 1 2 2 3 -1 4

4 Valencia 4 1 0 3 2 6 -4 3

Sapara is clearly going to be a function of whether Rosenborg maintain their second place in Group G and even then we have no idea whether the Rovers management have him on their target list.

Although the club says most transfer work should be done in the summer, Rovers were the most active Premiership club in the January 2007 window in terms of number of moves. In the absence of concerted rumours transferring any Rovers players away, it might be a good time to wheel and deal and try to trade up this January.

If the stories about wholesale changes at Spurs are to be believed, it will be worth keeping an eye on WHL. That said, the current squad is only just above the relegation zone for a reason- most of them are playing rubbish.

An interesting aside - the American Fox commentary on Israel v Russia described Israel's best forward as a poor imitation of Nelson Cuevas.

Why is everyone assuming we have no money to spend? We don't know. Just because we didn't splash the cash in summer doesn't mean there is no cash. Obviously we don't have the amount that some clubs have, because we don't have a rich owner behind us. What we do have is a manager who knows how to spend sensibly and a board who have shown they do back managers if the right player is available. No, were not going to outspend other clubs but nor do I see us doing nothing, especially now it seems obvious that Reid is not coming back soon if at all at this level.

especially now it seems obvious that Reid is not coming back soon if at all at this level.

I don't think you can assume that at all. His recent setback isn't judged to be serious and according to the medical people he should be back in training tomorrow.

Do agree with you however that we shouldn't automatically assume we've no money to spend in January. After all "we kept our powder dry" in summer.

:rolleyes:

Watched the Scotland game with great interest and was hugely impressed with their young right back Hutton, looks very promising. Also thought Fletcher looked good, though slightly careless at times in difficult conditions. His fitness and work rate are second to none, and his range/vision of both long and short passing is pretty impressive. I've never particularly liked the guy, and I reckon RFW must rate him pretty highly, but i'm sure he could make a pretty big impact playing in a team with natural width (when Bents and Gamst are on form). I don't know how much he would cost, any ideas?, but I could see Sparky viewing him as a very shrewd signing come the transfer window opening

Hes the real mccoy!

Ive watched him several times and hes just been brilliant, take for example the free kick which was wipped in against Chelsea where Koppinen scored that was pure class.

Rev Reid had already said he was targetting the second half of the season before the last set back. I just look at how long he's been out and think that to get back to where he was before seems very unlikely. Don't get me wrong, I haven't fully given up on him but I just think we have to look at the situation and face the possibility that he won't get back, meaning that more than in summer, when we thought he might make it before too long, we need replacements and reinforcements in that area. We always needed better midfield cover but now it's even more important that we find someone.

Rev Reid had already said he was targetting the second half of the season before the last set back. I just look at how long he's been out and think that to get back to where he was before seems very unlikely. Don't get me wrong, I haven't fully given up on him but I just think we have to look at the situation and face the possibility that he won't get back, meaning that more than in summer, when we thought he might make it before too long, we need replacements and reinforcements in that area. We always needed better midfield cover but now it's even more important that we find someone.

Agreed, in summer I didn't think we needed to strengthen in midfield with (when fit) Savage, Reid, Dunn, Mokoena and Tugay to choose from.

Now, all have question marks against them. Savage seems to be getting more injury prone with age, not surprising given his style of play. Reid's rehabilitation is taking longer than hoped, Dunn has been excellent imo but according to Sparky has tendonitis in his knees meaning they tend to stiffen up during the half time break, making it sometimes difficult to complete 90 minutes. Mokoena is very limited and is he due to go to the African Cup anyway? As for Tugay, in certain games age seems to be finally catching up with him.

Definitely an area we need to beef up in January and sooner or later we are probably going to have to spend some serious money there if we're to continue challenging for the top six. Given everyone else's circumstances, we can't get away with simply handing Tugay another twelve month extension indefinitely.

Watched the Scotland game with great interest and was hugely impressed with their young right back Hutton, looks very promising. Also thought Fletcher looked good, though slightly careless at times in difficult conditions. His fitness and work rate are second to none, and his range/vision of both long and short passing is pretty impressive. I've never particularly liked the guy, and I reckon RFW must rate him pretty highly, but i'm sure he could make a pretty big impact playing in a team with natural width (when Bents and Gamst are on form). I don't know how much he would cost, any ideas?, but I could see Sparky viewing him as a very shrewd signing come the transfer window opening

What did you think of Italy's stoppage time goal and the free kick that led to it? I will let you describe it as if I do so I will only get accused of being a closet Scot. I trust you to give an honest answer.

What did you think of Italy's stoppage time goal and the free kick that led to it? I will let you describe it as if I do so I will only get accused of being a closet Scot. I trust you to give an honest answer.

I think it came from a bad decision as it was never a foul by Hutton. What did you think of the offside decisions for the disallowed goal and Ferguson's equiliser? I trust you to give an honest answer.

I don't know how real our interest in Huddlestone is/was but if things continue as they are, he'll probably be available in Jan. Ramos seems to have demoted him behind Zokora and even that Boateng guy. I think the performance against us must have had something to do with the decision.

I can easily see Spurs letting Hudlestone go as Ramos has a plethora of midfielders available and will be looking to add. He hasn't shown too much form but obviously has quality about him. Hughes has time and time again taken on players in indifferent form and made something of them so i would be excited by Huddlestone turning up at Ewood.

The main barrier will be the fact that purs don't need to sell so might hold out for a large price.

Watched the Scotland game with great interest and was hugely impressed with their young right back Hutton, looks very promising.

i agree with that statement, i was well impressed.

i feel though with ooijer and emerton battling for the right back slot, we have this area already covered.

any more news on nicky hoffs?

No chance with Hutton. They want 8 million and to one of the top clubs looking for a right back he could be worth it. Looks a very good player and one who could replace Neville at Man Utd. He's said to have had it with this injury.

I'd like us to get Fletcher but he seems to be one who is loyal to Man Utd even if he doesn't play. Fergie has always rated him and perservered with him through bad injuries and form so if he was to leave they'd look for good money.

Huddlestone would be good, we'd need to put him on a diet though! A very good passer but not very physical for his size...

Watched the Scotland game with great interest and was hugely impressed with their young right back Hutton, looks very promising.
Hutton has started to make a name for himself at Rangers. He was immense against Barcelona in Glasgow, and I think a lot of people took notice after that. Many people would view a move to an English team outside the big four as a step backwards for a Scottish boy playing in the Champions' League.

As for American talent, I'd love to see Ricardo Clark in the blue and white halves. Shalrie Joseph could do a job, too. Wouldn't mind Feilhaber or Bradley, but both play in Europe and seem unlikely to move.

[Cue comments about how none of these guys are good enough.]

I couldn't believe he'd given a freekick to Italy. I thought when they came together definite Scottish free kick, then saw some of the Scots players walking away so presumed a throw in, to Scotland. But no, an Italian free kick. Shocking. Good header though, must have been sickening for the Scots <_<.

They played well in terrible conditions, hate to say it but Ferguson led the team well, and fully rose to the occasion, shame he couldn't put the same amount of effort in for us in our big games (Bolton etc) :rolleyes: than he does for Rangers and Scotland. Guess thats just the type of person he is though.

I think it came from a bad decision as it was never a foul by Hutton. What did you think of the offside decisions for the disallowed goal and Ferguson's equiliser? I trust you to give an honest answer.

That decision was terrible, but you forget Italy had a goal disallowed for offside in the first half which wasn't even close. Ferguson's goal was also suspected offside. Shows that the ref trio wasn't up to the task, but the it went both ways.

I don't know how real our interest in Huddlestone is/was but if things continue as they are, he'll probably be available in Jan. Ramos seems to have demoted him behind Zokora and even that Boateng guy. I think the performance against us must have had something to do with the decision.

No it's his weight imo. Ramos must have given him a target weight to get to until he is considered again. Prob frightened of having the p1ss taken out of his reputation in Spain by one and all for playing an unfit lard arse.

Archived