BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Thompson Retires

Great long-range efforts against Charlton and CSKA Sofia spring to mind. When he made his debut (Boro, I think) people were mightily excited about his talent, especially his combination of work-rate and skill. Coventry fans were devastated when the protracted transfer to Rovers went through. Good luck to him in his post-footy career.

From what people have been saying, the Irish youngster in the reserves, Alan Judge, is in the same mould as Tommo. I.e small, skilful, tenacious and can play RM and CM. If he does ever reach Tommo's peak, he'd have done very, very well.

I was always keeping tabs on him since he was released by Bolton and it always amazed me as to why he was never able to get another club. It's a huge shame that he's had to take the decision to retire from the game. A fantastic player for us and I'm disappointed that he was never able to demonstrate his 'Flea Dance', he promised to do upon scoring!!

All the best for the future Thommo.

Really sympathetic for the lad. Always appeared to be a nice guy with a lot of time for the fans. I always had the impression he was a bit of a joker in the dressing room and a bit of a character. He didn't strike me as a typical footballer and I don't think he was the sort of person to be motivated by money, but rather through his love for the game. I hope he remains in football in some capacity.

I will always remember his stunning strike in the Carling Cup against Charlton when we came from two down to win 3-2.

Cheers Thommo!

Archived