BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lcd Or Plasma Tv ?

Guest Dik Bleek

Just watched the Gadget show and out of all the tv's on test over 40" the Pioneer Plasma was the way out winner! And under 40" it was a 37" Hitachi LCD! :rolleyes:

I always go for Panasonic everything. Never been let down yet. I have still to experience HD. At £10 extra a month there are not enough channels to make it worthwhile just yet.

Samsung, Panasonic and LG are effectively the same thing. Same components, same central european manufacturer, just a different finish.

I still think the Sony is just to sharp and a little grainy around teh edges. It's almost trying too hard.

No idea about reliability. I've had the Samsung just under a year and it has been fine. To be honest, if it breaks, it goes back to the shop and they give me a new one. Not really an issue.

• 6 months later...

I did a lot of reading about LCD's before going for the Sony. Samsung are very highly regarded for their Picture quality. A lot of people [not me included] like the shiny black finish of their sets as well. What is mentioned a lot on the AV forums site though, is that it appears as though Samsungs do have problems with reliability. It's difficult to judge the validity of that, but it was enough to push me towards the Sony set.

How's the Sony behaving after 7 months Den?

Probably about to invest in something similar from the new Sony KDL-W range which came out last month - KDL-40W4000. It won the What HiFi Supertest and I can't find any bad reviews anywhere.

Also found a really detailed online review site for HDTVs - HDTVtest which is probably worth a visit for anyone else shopping for something similar.

How's the Sony behaving after 7 months Den?

Probably about to invest in something similar from the new Sony KDL-W range which came out last month - KDL-40W4000. It won the What HiFi Supertest and I can't find any bad reviews anywhere.

Also found a really detailed online review site for HDTVs - HDTVtest which is probably worth a visit for anyone else shopping for something similar.

Hiya Tris,

yes it's a great set. There was a problem with an internal gamma setting, that caused purple patches in dark areas, but Sony sent out the engineer under the warranty and fixed it with a software update.

For reviews and info on the W4000, look HERE

Recently purchased a 46" Samsung LCD after a lot of deliberation.

Have been watching Euro 2008 in HD broadcast and the image quality is exceptional. No "tail" on fast moving action and the darks and blacks are rich.

Would recommend the Samsung and it's around $800.00 cheaper than a comparable Sony!

Archived