• Savage
    • Reid
    • MGP
    • Santa
    • McCarthy.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We hardly take any to Bolton these days so I can't see why Wigan would be any different. I know we sold out there the first season they were up but that's probably because it was a new ground to visit.

Been to the last 3 or 4 games at Wigan. This year is a very good price so happy to go again. I refuse to set foot inside the Reebok since Bolton tried to rip us off massively a few years back. It would take a massive, massive game to tempt me back in there - cup quarter final replay maybe or a championship decider (LOL). I won't go for a bog standard PL game, we used to take 4.

It would take a massive, massive game to tempt me back in there - cup quarter final replay maybe or a championship decider (LOL)

I hope you're not referring to "The Championship" because that's the only thing Bolton are going to be competing for anytime soon :rolleyes:

Judging by the last three home games, we need to freshen ourselves up quite a bit for this.

Wigan's confidence will be extremely low, why not go for the jugular and play McCarthy behind Roberts and RSC with Savage, Bentley and Dunn or Reid in midfield?

Id be tempted, we looked more threatening when McCarthy covered left wing towards the end on Sunday.

The defence has gone to pieces recently, even the revaltionary Samba looks shaky.

I guess Hughes has to look to either go tight and conservative or go for the jugular as you say. Savage and Reid starting would greatly help the lack of energy in midfield which we have been suffering.

Id be tempted, we looked more threatening when McCarthy covered left wing towards the end on Sunday.

The defence has gone to pieces recently, even the revaltionary Samba looks shaky.

I guess Hughes has to look to either go tight and conservative or go for the jugular as you say. Savage and Reid starting would greatly help the lack of energy in midfield which we have been suffering.

Given the same amount of intelligence, timidity will do a thousand times more damage than audacity.

- Karl von Clausewitz

If you entrench yourself behind strong fortifications, you compel the enemy seek a solution elsewhere.

- Karl von Clausewitz

The first and most important rule to observe...is to use our entire forces with the utmost energy. The second rule is to concentrate our power as much as possible against that section where the chief blows are to be delivered and to incur disadvantages elsewhere, so that our chances of success may increase at the decisive point. The third rule is never to waste time. Unless important advantages are to be gained from hesitation, it is necessary to set to work at once. By this speed a hundred enemy measures are nipped in the bud, and public opinion is won most rapidly. Finally, the fourth rule is to follow up our successes with the utmost energy. Only pursuit of the beaten enemy gives the fruits of victory.

- Karl von Clausewitz

Maybe we need a more Prussian style :lol:

Given the same amount of intelligence, timidity will do a thousand times more damage than audacity.

- Karl von Clausewitz

If you entrench yourself behind strong fortifications, you compel the enemy seek a solution elsewhere.

- Karl von Clausewitz

The first and most important rule to observe...is to use our entire forces with the utmost energy. The second rule is to concentrate our power as much as possible against that section where the chief blows are to be delivered and to incur disadvantages elsewhere, so that our chances of success may increase at the decisive point. The third rule is never to waste time. Unless important advantages are to be gained from hesitation, it is necessary to set to work at once. By this speed a hundred enemy measures are nipped in the bud, and public opinion is won most rapidly. Finally, the fourth rule is to follow up our successes with the utmost energy. Only pursuit of the beaten enemy gives the fruits of victory.

- Karl von Clausewitz

Maybe we need a more Prussian style :lol:

Brilliant - if only I understood what it meant! :unsure:

Roberts and Savage must start this match. The pair of them should of started against West Ham and i think it was a very bad mistake by Hughes leaving both of them out.

Roberts changed the game when he come on against and Newcastle and deserved a place in the starting 11 against the Hammers, to leave him out again was disgraceful, Hughes should not keep playing bennie, when quite simply he is not putting in the effort and not producing the goods

Has for leaving Savage out and putting the axe in instead for him, just winds me up, savage is a far better player then the Axe and always will be. With Savage in the team we are better team and i hope hughes realises this very soon.

My team would be:

Brad

Emo Nelsen Samba Warnock

Bentley Savage Dunn McCarthy

Roberts Roque

I think that Benni would do ok on the left (anything would be better than Ped at the minute) and Dunny needs to be back in the middle.

Does anyone know any good pubs around Wigan Wallgate station for pre-match?

Tickets sorted out. 5 of us going. First away game for me for about 18 months.

Bolton used to be the annual away game for me but, as Paul said, once it went over £30 we refused to pay it. Should be a good crack.

Judging by the last three home games, we need to freshen ourselves up quite a bit for this.

Wigan's confidence will be extremely low, why not go for the jugular and play McCarthy behind Roberts and RSC with Savage, Bentley and Dunn or Reid in midfield?

and that's why this site is such a great read!

come on revidge - you honestly think we have a midfield that could cope with only having 3 players in it? we were horribly exposed with 4 players - nevermind 3!

bentley will be back for this one, which will give the team so much more space. As we used to find with Duff, teams tend to try and double up on the danger men, which is why his quick deliveries into the box should help us a lot, by allowing us to outnumber them when bentl;ey switches the ball.

Bentley Savage Tugay Dunn

Its a great preview.

This should be regulation three points even if Sparky plays last weeks starting XI (he cannot as Ooijer is out with a possible hamstring tear). I think he will shake things up a bit more than just the return of Bentley and Nelsen although I hope that Sparky sees this as an ideal opportunity for Benny and Roque to get back on the goal scoring trail.

Wigan can be lively going forwards and are over due a surprise result. I very much doubt Sparky will be out thought by Steve Bruce though.

My team would be:

Brad

Emo Nelsen Samba Warnock

Bentley Savage Dunn McCarthy

Roberts Roque

I think that Benni would do ok on the left (anything would be better than Ped at the minute) and Dunny needs to be back in the middle.

Does anyone know any good pubs around Wigan Wallgate station for pre-match?

The more I think of it the more that formation makes sense, possibly with the added proviso of dropping Dunn for Reid to give us a bit more power in the middle if he is fit. And Benni's link up play suggests he could thrive coming in from the left. Might not suit him ego wise not being up front however. And obviously it would leave us a bit vulnerable on the left defence wise.

If Roberts has handed in a transfer request I imagine he might not be picked though. But then we also have Derbs available.

The more I think of it the more that formation makes sense, possibly with the added proviso of dropping Dunn for Reid to give us a bit more power in the middle if he is fit. And Benni's link up play suggests he could thrive coming in from the left. Might not suit him ego wise not being up front however. And obviously it would leave us a bit vulnerable on the left defence wise.

If Roberts has handed in a transfer request I imagine he might not be picked though. But then we also have Derbs available.

It is true that Benni gave us the best 15 minutes of left wing play this season in his cameo 15 minutes at the end of the West Ham game.

But I would also ask how many of the four super chances Roque has missed in the last two games Benni would have scored had he been in those positions instead of Roque? I very much doubt it would have been zero.

I wonder if switching the 1-1 up front so Benni is right at the front and Roque withdrawn would be the answer? The old offside flag would be going up a lot more again but so might the goals.

I'd use this game to both rest a few players, and to shake up the team, if only for one game. I don't know much about the likes of Olsson and Treacy really, but would be nice to give them some time to play.

Friedel

Emo Zurab Nelsen Olsson/Warnock

Bentley Savage Reid Treacy/Dunn

Roberts Derbyshire

We need to rest some players to have a fresh squad over Christmas, and perhaps this is a good game to do it in. Wigan don't have a good team player for player, and even with a lineup like that we can match them for quality, with the players coming in hungry to prove a point, perhaps most of all Roberts, Derbyshire and Zurab who'd be starters for several other Premiership teams but who sometimes aren't even on the bench here. Samba, RSC and Warnock haven't done anything wrong, but they've played a lot and a rest wouldn't hurt.

If it wasn't a case of resting anyone, I'd play;

Friedel

Emo Nelsen Samba Warnock

Reid Savage Dunn/Tugay Bentley

Santa Cruz Benni

With Bentley/Reid/Dunn (If he plays) playing rather fluidly, switching positions. I do think that we should use this game to rest at least some players, even if not to the extent of the first time I listed. Starting Roberts ahead of RSC to give him some rest (Esp. his knees) would be wise I think, and with Roberts seemingly in good form wouldn't reduce our chances of winning much. Giving 1-2 of Samba, Warnock and Dunn a rest would perhaps also be good.

Anyone know the best train station to get off at in Wigan for the JJB also any good pubs to be in before the game?Quite close to the ground would be good.

The 2 Wigan stations (Wallgate & North Western) are located very close to each other.

If you land at North Western, come out the station, turn left, (after having a few sneaky pints in the pubs opposite).

Then keep on walking on the right hand side of the rd.

Eventually you will come to the Leeds/Liverpool Canal.

Walk along the canal and then you will see the Ground.

Takes about 20 minutes.

Anyone know the best train station to get off at in Wigan for the JJB also any good pubs to be in before the game?Quite close to the ground would be good.

Dependent upon where you are coming in from you'll be getting of at either Wigan North Western or Wigan Wallgate - more than likely Wallgate but they are literally across the road from each other

As for pubs - the usual case of use your own judgement so depends on if there is a gang of you etc. but stayaway from the one directly next to the Station (Wallgate). In the centre, the norm for expected large away followings bouncers are on some of the Pubs so could depend on which you can get into . However the Moon under Water tends to be popular (left out of WW and at the top of the hill) but again dependent upon the the situ as the local Wigan scallys tend to head there also.

There is the Orwell ( probably be heading there myself) which is where many a Rovers fan as headed previously - so depending upon which station you arrive at - Wallgate up the steps and turn right -NW turn left - follow the road down under the Bridge heading for Wigan pier - the road splits further down and just follow to the right and the Orwell is on the Pier on the left

Alternative is the Red Robin on Robin Park next to the ground which is usually for away fans or going the opposite way out of town (away from Wigan Pier) heading towards the BridgE over the canal to get to the ground there are other pubs dotted about

Dependent upon where you are coming in from you'll be getting of at either Wigan North Western or Wigan Wallgate - more than likely Wallgate but they are literally across the road from each other

As for pubs - the usual case of use your own judgement so depends on if there is a gang of you etc. but stayaway from the one directly next to the Station (Wallgate). In the centre, the norm for expected large away followings bouncers are on some of the Pubs so could depend on which you can get into . However the Moon under Water tends to be popular (left out of WW and at the top of the hill) but again dependent upon the the situ as the local Wigan scallys tend to head there also.

There is the Orwell ( probably be heading there myself) which is where many a Rovers fan as headed previously - so depending upon which station you arrive at - Wallgate up the steps and turn right -NW turn left - follow the road down under the Bridge heading for Wigan pier - the road splits further down and just follow to the right and the Orwell is on the Pier on the left

Alternative is the Red Robin on Robin Park next to the ground which is usually for away fans or going the opposite way out of town (away from Wigan Pier) heading towards the BridgE over the canal to get to the ground there are other pubs dotted about

Thanks alot thats very helpful never been to Wigan before so all that info will come in handy...have a good one.

and that's why this site is such a great read!

come on revidge - you honestly think we have a midfield that could cope with only having 3 players in it? we were horribly exposed with 4 players - nevermind 3!

obviously - yes, otherwise I wouldn't have said it! :rolleyes:

We've been horribly exposed with two central midfielders in the last three games because they've played far too deep.

We would still be playing with (a different) two central midfielders, the only difference being that MGP would be swapped for McCarthy operating in an area behind the strikers. Which would give Wigan their own things to think about.

Archived