BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Egg Sells Up

AlanK

I'm not posting this to spite bazza, honest, but I'd say West Ham fans should be eternally grateful to the Eggman.

We may hate the way the Premier League handled the Tevez saga but it was the Eggman who brilliantly steered WHam through the unholy mess when most clubs would have been relegated and faced a second disciplinary commission.

Trevor Brown and colleagues assumed they were going to sell WHam to Joorabchian then took the bigger Icelandic biscuit when offered leaving a load of unfinished business behind including "creative" statements to the FA they had expected to come true had they sold to Tevez and Mascherano's real contract-owners. He was the former UEFA Executive Board member who understood and worked the inanities of the governing bodies' systems to West Ham's advantage and Sheff U's relegation.

Mind you the Icelandic due diligence must have been crumbly to say the least.

Three interesting elements in today's coverage not included in this thread so far-

The new Chairman is reported as being very unhappy with the players' wages deals struck by the Eggman.

The £35m relieves debt and is not a transfer kitty which remains unchanged, whatever that means

West Ham have a parcel of land which was a parcels depot (ho ho) next to the underground station and are looking to build a 60,000 seater stadium on it.

I think West Ham are now closer to joining the big 4 than Spurs are.

Three interesting elements in today's coverage not included in this thread so far-

The new Chairman is reported as being very unhappy with the players' wages deals struck by the Eggman.

The £35m relieves debt and is not a transfer kitty which remains unchanged, whatever that means

West Ham have a parcel of land which was a parcels depot (ho ho) next to the underground station and are looking to build a 60,000 seater stadium on it.

I think West Ham are now closer to joining the big 4 than Spurs are.

Since when did the hammers have 60,000 fans?

:D

Egg previously said the calculation is that West Ham are ideally located between Canary Wharf and the City of London.

All the Exec boxes at Emirates, Chelsea, WHL are all taken with waiting lists so the demand for watching Premiership football with prawn sandwiches in London is clearly there.

I guess the new WHam will be very corporate-heavy; perhaps 40,000+ cockernees (gates which the pre-Taylor Upton Park saw regularly) and 15,000 corporates of various grades/opulence. This is as much a threat to Man U as anybody because this stadium is going to be more modern and much easier to get to for a lot of the London-based Manc fraternity. One or two bad (relatively) seasons by ManU and those London reds will turn claret.

£250m seems to be a small amount to build such a big stadium but I guess if they own the land and it needs relatively small amounts of civil engineering, it could be achievable. The problem they will have is they will be building it at the same time as the Olympic complexes are going up all around them so getting labour etc. could be a challenge.

Now that he has come out and slated the wages being paid to the likes of Lucash, the business logic of what the Icelanders are doing is very clear and extremely likely to succeed. Let's say 25 matches at home per season £3m revenue earned by the stadium per match and the £250m is cleared in three and a half years assuming Sky/Setanta/marketing income is covering the rest of WHam's costs.

Failing that, the new Chairman has his own bank so he could self-securitise!

That's not nice, calling Philipl stupid. :angry2:

:D and there I was thinking I'd got away with it!

Take your point on the Icelandic business plan philip but I'm not sure it will work. It's a big test of the idea you can sell PL football as an entertainment, while we enjoy taking the mick out of Utd fans I'm not sure they drive 250 miles simply to be entertained?

As chairmen went he really took the biscuit

I thought he was a bit of a self indulgent egg-otist myself! :lol:

But why is he leaving did he finally CRACK or did he get tired of SHELLing out money. Perhaps he needs to LAY everything out so he has FREE RANGE to move onto different ventures, got tired of being COUPed up in football. All YOLKs aside when he leaves will he be WHISKED away in a Limo?

But why is he leaving did he finally CRACK or did he get tired of SHELLing out money. Perhaps he needs to LAY everything out so he has FREE RANGE to move onto different ventures, got tired of being COUPed up in football. All YOLKs aside when he leaves will he be WHISKED away in a Limo?

I'm glad you put the puns in capital letters. I really don't think anybody could see what you were going for there.

Archived