BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Italian Mafia

waggy

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:rover: the ridiculous amount off money we are paying capello and his henchmen would be better going to the grassroots football,were our national team problems start :brfcsmilie:

Good idea. Let's not even bother with the current national team - let's just aim to win things in 15-20 years. We won't qualify for any major tournaments - costing the economy millions, but we've always got the future to look forward to. The FA have got plenty of money, then can this "ridiculous" amount of money to Capello, AND invest money in grassroots football.

Good idea. Let's not even bother with the current national team - let's just aim to win things in 15-20 years. We won't qualify for any major tournaments - costing the economy millions, but we've always got the future to look forward to. The FA have got plenty of money, then can this "ridiculous" amount of money to Capello, AND invest money in grassroots football.

:rover: and why did capello leave his last job :brfcsmilie:

I found it strange at the press conference when he claimed that he 'had always dreamed of managing England' (or words to that effect).

Clearly bolloks.

Possibly but you forget the admiration Italians of his generation have for England and the English. You see far more tweeds in Milan than you do in London.

I found it strange at the press conference when he claimed that he 'had always dreamed of managing England' (or words to that effect).

Clearly bolloks.

More like dreamed of earning £26m over 4 years for approx 60 days work! Not long ago the equation would have been more realistic........ in lire!

The FA chose to invest £50m over four years in Capello and his team. Yesterday's reports say Capello is to receive £6.5m pa himself, making the total greater. There will be an additional member of the coaching team selected from (available?) English candidates. The FA have some stated aims, two of which I understand are:................

............................ You chose the wrong adjective. Demanding would have been a better choice. For £50m England fans are entitled to expect some damn good results. Please explain why expecting results from and questioning the value of a £50m investment is insular?

Whats the betting that he and his men do not see 4 years in the job? The remuneration should be half as normal and the other half bonus at the end of his contract depending on completion of contract and results. No doubt Capello will spend as much effort working out his possible exit strategy as picking his teams.

Barwick is absolutely ga ga. He thinks Cappello's salary is small change compared to the turnover of the FA! Conclusive proof (if any more were needed after the Wembley fiasco) that the amount of money swilling around in football is absolutely ludicrous. Anybody know who Barwick, Thompson and the rest are responsible to?

I think Harry Redknapp and Gareth Southgate are spot on in this case. The England manager should be English. The job should be regarded as the pinnacle of any English manager's career, and to give it to a foreign manager simply demotivates any young English managers who have ambitions to manage their country in the future. Tripe. They've got sour grapes. Southgate is presiding over a terrible Middlesbrough team left to him by the aforementioned McClaren. Harry has the press on his side and can chirp about what he likes.

And Redknapp is right when he says that the England manager does not have to do much coaching. The main attributes the England manager needs are the ability to put a team together and organise them, to work out who can play with who and what the best system is to suit the players at the manager's disposal. He must be tactically astute and be able to influence a game with his substitutions. The only time the England manager will really do any coaching is when the squad are together for a long period of time before a major tournament, and even then I doubt he'll be teaching the players anything they don't already know. Agreed.

There's also no doubt in my mind that England have good enough players to be successful in the future. We just don't play well as a team at the moment. Any decent mamanger should be able to sort that out. Agreed in principle. However it's much harder in practice. I can see Terry/Lampard getting highly miffed if the other gets dropped. Only a master motivator will be able to sort that out.

I've said before that I'd have given the job to Roy Hodgson. He's highly experienced and has had relative success with two different international teams. Balderdash. Woy would get laughed out of the dressing room.

But I also feel that any one of Redknapp, Coppull, Hoddle or Allardyce could have done the job successfully. They are all experienced managers who have a proven track record of relative success at club level. Maybe Coppull; Hoddle will never get it again.

:rover: and why did capello leave his last job :brfcsmilie:

Because Real fired him for not toeing the party line. He did win them the league though but that wan't deemed good enough as they didn't win in Europe and Raul got dropped.

Why are people going bananas about money? We all know the game is flowing with obscene amounts of cash. Why does paying the England manager silly money bother people? If England start winning Capello will pay for himself and the new Webmley through advertising, kit sales, sponsorships, and the good old English public jumping on the bandwagon by buying anything with the England logo on.

The game needs fixing from top to bottom. As I've already written, the hardest job will be to get young kids to be comfortable with a football at their feet and not be "coached" to run like idiots, boot it as far as they can every time, tackle like a maniac at every opportunity, slag off referees, and have their parents shout and scream at everything whilst in progress.

Agreed in principle. However it's much harder in practice. I can see Terry/Lampard getting highly miffed if the other gets dropped. Only a master motivator will be able to sort that out.

Really? I'd drop the pair of em.

I would have absolutely no room in a squad for bad attitudes. In fact I'd likely pick the England B team but with only Rooney, Joe Cole, Barry and Richards included from the 1st team. That would be a far hungrier team.... and one that imo would have easily got us into Euro 2008.

i'm tired with these italian stereotypes (the mob, the godfather etc...) being thrown about in reference to capello, by our lazy tabloid press and now people on here.

if martin o'neil had been given the job, would these same people being saying : "the IRA are running our FA! ? / martin o'neil is gonna start blowing up shopping centres"

it's lazy and tiresome!

No because Martin O'Neill is Northern Irish...

eh? That's where the troubles were.

When Barwick gave that line that the FA would earn a billion in three years in justification of Capello's package, I went cold. If that is the FA mind set in determining worth and value, the game has no future whatsoever.

He might conceivably be worth that size of a deal but "loadsamoney" is not the basis on which to assess how much to pay people.

Did having to pay £55 for an FA cup semi final ticket last season and a couple of seasons before that bother you?

I didn't go to the semi, but paid through the nose for Liverpool at Ewood last year. Anyway, my point is that the money being pumped into football by all creates Capello's salary. It harkes back to the long discussions we have on here about gates/prices/wages. They are all out of control so why get uptight about what is essentailly a small part of the same argument?

When Barwick gave that line that the FA would earn a billion in three years in justification of Capello's package, I went cold. If that is the FA mind set in determining worth and value, the game has no future whatsoever.

He might conceivably be worth that size of a deal but "loadsamoney" is not the basis on which to assess how much to pay people.

They made such a mess of the recruitment process (again) that they put Capello in the position where he could simply name his terms - remuneration, length of contract and jobs for the boys.

Tying your own hands securely behind your own back is quite difficult to achieve, but Barwick pulled it off with flying colours.

I'm really not sure here. Is 6 million a year too much, by footballing standards no, by my own thoughts, yes. Having said that, we'd have to say that as Sven was on 5 million a year, you have to think that anyone taking the job now would be asking for at least that. Now according to what I've heard, his annual wage of 6.2 is dependant on results and he'll only get that much if the team enjoys quite a lot of success, so it would seem that his wages are really in line with what you would have expected.

With regards to his backroom staff, well most managers bring their staff with them, so I don't see why that would change at international level. Sven brought people with him and to be honest, the only person of real interest in the staff is the assistant. The assistant could be the next England manager, although on the basis of recent experience that isn't a good idea, but it is possible. The fact that he is bringing a fitness coach and things like that doesn't really matter, although I do hope that they speak English.

I'm really not sure here. Is 6 million a year too much, by footballing standards no, by my own thoughts, yes. Having said that, we'd have to say that as Sven was on 5 million a year, you have to think that anyone taking the job now would be asking for at least that. Now according to what I've heard, his annual wage of 6.2 is dependant on results and he'll only get that much if the team enjoys quite a lot of success, so it would seem that his wages are really in line with what you would have expected.

With regards to his backroom staff, well most managers bring their staff with them, so I don't see why that would change at international level. Sven brought people with him and to be honest, the only person of real interest in the staff is the assistant. The assistant could be the next England manager, although on the basis of recent experience that isn't a good idea, but it is possible. The fact that he is bringing a fitness coach and things like that doesn't really matter, although I do hope that they speak English.

Course its too much. SGE was on too bloody much when compared to any other national team manager!

Anyway I obviously am only guessing but I'd wager that every one of those Italians needs an interpretor and adding yet more cost to the deal.

eh? That's where the troubles were.

And people wonder why the paying public are losing the motivation to attend games. :(

It's all barking up the wrong tree, we can't produce players who are comfortable on the ball.

Obviously, McClaren was the Gold Top of t*ts, but I do worry that it is pointless to worry about the national team for the next 10 years or so. Any money spent on trying to polish a turd now would be much better spent on producing something which isn't turd n 20 years time.

We're not as good as we think we are and we have far too much bloody money. We need players who can think for themselves on the pitch and WIN.

This is like spending mega-money on cleaning up after a flood when you should've invested in flood defences.

All of our players are over-rated and tehy are laughung to the bank. They have it too easy.

But you've answered your own question at the start of the sentence! I don't know my stats on this at all but how much was McClaren on p/a? Bet it was a lot but nowhere near the money that Sven was on and although I'm not necessarily against having a foreign manager, I suspect passionate England managers wouldn't request a stupid amount of money to get the job.

El T, my point was that I too have paid silly money to see a football match, therefore I am contributing to the continuing rise in money leaching out to the select few. The England manager does not need to be passionate, he needs to be tactically astute, fully aware of the way international football is played, a great man manager, and not afraid to tell the FA/press to f off.

McClaren was on £2.5m

Sven £4m

Capello and his crew £6m

Sven's pedigree was good, Capello's is excellent, McClaren's was dog dirt as a manager, hence the price differences; nothing to do with nationality.

I think that the money argument is just another angle for jingoist England fans to try and get at England appointing a foreigner.

I do agree that more money needs ploughing into grass roots football. The Burton National Centre will be yet another white elephant. How many remember Lilleshall? All hype and no talent.

Archived