BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Article To End All Articles

philipl

Hahaha! Fascinating reading.

But England is not exceptional. It is typical of the second-tier soccer nations at Europe’s margins.
You wouldn’t appoint an Englishman to manage a football team because the English don’t have a history of thinking hard about football.

Let me guess, this Simon Kuper fella ain't English?

Thought-provoking piece by Simon Kuper.

He makes the valid point that there have only ever been 3 or 4 successful international football nations and that England is not one of them because we are insular not only geographically but also in our understanding of football and what it takes to win at international level.

The best way to succeed at international level according to Kuper is appoint a manager from one of the "core" successful nations, which England finally have done in hiring Capello, although Scotland fans might argue with that theory with regards to Vogts.

His piece does sign off oddly in that he says Capello is the right man for the job yet is doomed to fail because either overblown expectations or the tabloids will get him first, but it's certainly a far more interesting read than another groin strain story or wild speculation provided by the red top writers.

Lateral thinking is obviously beyond number crunchers.

They're lines of thought and worthy of consideration. ...... after all there are many reasons why England continue to fail so spectacularly at international level.

Kuper (a Dutchman BTW) has also long pointed out that English football is like the military, with a commander (manager) barking orders and the foot-soldier players utterly incapable of thinking for themselves.

I think he's right : watch any England team or Premier League games with predomininantly English players and you would not describe much of the play as "intelligent", more a case of hoof it long and hard because that is what the manager told them to do and look for knockdowns and hope that something might happen; Ok at club level but a recipe for disaster in international football.

I think he's right : watch any England team or Premier League games with predomininantly English players and you would not describe much of the play as "intelligent", more a case of hoof it long and hard because that is what the manager told them to do and look for knockdowns and hope that something might happen; Ok at club level but a recipe for disaster in international football.

My point exactly. Cappello will struggle more with the mentality than the ability of our lot. Those self same players set about Croatia like we had to win by a cricket score when a 0-0 bore draw would have been enough for qualification. The Italians and Germans must have been incredulous at our stupidity. For international football his ideas will be right but whether he can get around the barrack room politics of the players I doubt. I can already see a player / press whispering campaign from the start followed ultimately by an 'et tu Brute' back stabbing with Cappello accepting his pay off and Brian Barwick having to find yet another gold digging foreign manager.

Nonsense article. Doesn't matter how eloquently it is put, ###### is ######.

Core six European countries? The Benelux trio? Could someone please remind me when the Luxembourg national side ever did anything of note?

As for Capello, I think his first couple of squads and team selections are vital. He hast be strong with the players, and almost as importantly, he has to be seen to be strong with them. If we are ever to be successfull, we cannot carry on picking the same bunch of failures over and over again, just because they are 'world class' in the eyes of the press and the average 12yr old lad from London.

John Terry is England captain - anyone remember him ever having a truly great game for England? Nor me. When he was made captain he wasn't even one of our best two centre backs, and still may not have been now if Campbell had not been frozen out for so long.

I could go on with similar examples but theres no need, everyone has heard it all before and everyone seems to know it except for those who get paid to pick the teams.

Interesting article. I do think Kuper would gain more credibility if he had talked about a core 4 and used The Netherlands instead of Benelux but I think he was keen to include the plucky Belgiums and their 1980 Euro Final appearance to help make his point.

Personally I don't think you can discount the fact that young English managers are never given a chance at the top level when giving a view on the ability of them. The only chance anyone gets to have a crack at the Premiership is with a newly promoted and usually hopelessly out of their depth outfit. Current EPL teams seem to prefer to go for a Gary Megson or a Paul Jewell rather than try someone new. Its Tried anf failed before not tried at all I'm afraid.

Its a never ending spiral and a job for life for anyone who is lucky enough to get an EPL job. Steve McLaren will be back befor the end of the season, mark my words, as will Glen Roeder.

I regularly read the guy in the Saturday edition of the paper and he has made some interesting points over the years. I also suggest people link onto the article about using Lyon as a template for a successful club. Not all the points would apply to the Rovers.

I regularly read the guy in the Saturday edition of the paper and he has made some interesting points over the years. I also suggest people link onto the article about using Lyon as a template for a successful club. Not all the points would apply to the Rovers.

Read the Lyon article and seems to be making some good points.

Particularly about signing Brazilians. Maybe now that RSC is such a hit in the Prem we can attract a few more South Americans. Climate's a problem but they can always wear gloves!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

"Nearly everything possible has been done to spoil this game: the heavy financial interests; the absurd transfer and player-selling system: the lack of any birth or residential qualification for the players; the betting and coupon competitions; the absurd publicity given to every feature of it by the Press; the monstrous partisanship of the crowds; but the fact remains that it is not yet spoilt, and it has gone out and conquered the world."

J.B. Priestley on English football, 1933.

Pinched from the Independent.

Archived