• Reid
    • Bentley
    • Tugay
    • Pedersen
    • Santa Cruz

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We played very good for the first 20 mins, and then the ghost (of his former self) Nelson gets brushed away and once again we're down. I'm gonna start asking Hughes the same question I asked Souness every week for 2 years, and that's why does he waste 4 team places with a "defence", when clean thin air would do an equal job?

Bentley is by far the best player on the pitch though.

From my birds eye view in freezing cold Leyland, here are my first half observatiaons.

Rovers dont deserve to be losing although the quality finish by Joe Cole was fantastic. We have had three good chances to score and havent taken one of them, a fantastic stop by Cech to ruin Reidy's day !

Tugay is not at the races (and he certainly is not in this game). He is too far from Lampard, giving too much ball away, cannot track back and is putting big pressure on Dunny and Reid with his lacklustre game. He must be replaced at half time.

Zurab and The Admiral are having a great game, as is Bents, MGP, Reid and RSC. A little bit more width could give us the edge and with that in mind its time to go 4-4-2. With Alex on a yellow Rovers can pressure him whilst RSC has the skill and speed to work both him and carvallho.

Looks a very decent crowd considering its xmas week. Must be 22000 or even more.

Plenty of optimism for the second half for us Rovers fans.

Oh, yes, my final observation. Just where has the start like this game been in the past 7 games ? Just more effort in games versus villa, wham and wigan would have seen us 9 points better off in the league and comfortable in 5th place for xmas ! Instead we are now 10th and could be 11th if we concede again !

Its a funny old game aint it???

Some of our passing has been slick, and against lesser teams we would be easily winning. However, the top teams are so clinical.

Zurab has been impressive considering his first start of the season. Also, good to see Reid in the middle showing little signs of his running off the ball (and very unlucky not to score).

Just hope we can get something out of the game. I fear a second sucker punch though.

Football is a game of choices. Continually we make the wrong ones. Emerton is not good enough, Tugay is passed his best, Dunn is nowhere near what he used to be and Gamst defies belief - this is the same guy we had two years ago?

I've held off snap judgments during this bad run, but its impossible to ignore the frailties in this team. Too many mistakes, too many passengers. How the players have been allowed to become so complacent is the million dollar question.

Archived