BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Savage - The Bad Apple

Roost

When the Sunderland story first came out, I thought we would need to keep Savage (especially with the Axe being away for most of January). However, after thinking about it, we probaly have enough cover.

Players who can play in central midfiedl (while Axe is away): Tugay, Dunn, Reid, and at a push Bentley then Emerton.

Considering Savs recent form and age, £1.75million+ would be good business for us.

Same applies with Roberts, if we can get a decent price, get rid.

Agreed on all your post John; I would add one more to your list of CM players though. Berner can play CM and he never gets a mention. Admittedly he has played very few games or minutes as a sub, but when he has played he has never let us down. I am not saying he would be my first choice, but surely has to be on the list of possibles.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought to ponder - Sav's been injured for quite a while... Yes he's looked off the pace in his last couple of appearances but could this be a match fitness thing?? Who knows - 90 min tonight and on Saturday and he could be back to how he was pre October.

Just a thought to ponder - Sav's been injured for quite a while... Yes he's looked off the pace in his last couple of appearances but could this be a match fitness thing?? Who knows - 90 min tonight and on Saturday and he could be back to how he was pre October.

Due to him getting older, there will be a natural decline with relation to the energy he can provide on the pitch. Plus he has had some serious injuries, and continuing niggling injuries, within the past year, so this won't help in this regard.

He has done well in his time here but time for both parties to move on.

When the Sunderland story first came out, I thought we would need to keep Savage (especially with the Axe being away for most of January). However, after thinking about it, we probaly have enough cover.

Players who can play in central midfield (while Axe is away): Tugay, Dunn, Reid, and at a push Bentley then Emerton.

Considering Savs recent form and age, £1.75million+ would be good business for us.

Same applies with Roberts, if we can get a decent price, get rid.

You are mistaking players playing in that position with players doing the role that Sav does. Mokoena can do it, and at a push Reid can do it, although I think that's a waste of his talents. Tugay, Dunn, Bentley and Emerton cannot play that role. We've seen it on occasions when we've had Tugay/Dunn/Bentley/Emerton in the centre - we're okay with the ball but get rolled over without it. So unless we get a replacement I still say it'd be short-sighted to sell. Just my thoughts...

I know what you are saying, I think (if desperate) Emerton can do a similar job to Savage. I do admit this is questionable though.

Also, if Hughes has the same view as you, then I am sure we will bring in a replacement for Sav or he won't be sold if he thinks it will be a problem. Hughes is not the type to take risks.

I don't see why the majority of people seem to want Hughes to bring in a like for like replacement for the soon to be departed Savage. I thought the idea of replacing players was so that the team could take a possitive step forward. IMO obtaining a 'new' Savage or Mokoena is a step backwards.

As with the current England situation, technical ability is more important than the 'never say die' attitude.

I don't see why the majority of people seem to want Hughes to bring in a like for like replacement for the soon to be departed Savage. I thought the idea of replacing players was so that the team could take a possitive step forward. IMO obtaining a 'new' Savage or Mokoena is a step backwards.

As with the current England situation, technical ability is more important than the 'never say die' attitude.

Also I would say we have two players who can do the Savage thing plus have a bit more ability on the ball- Reid and Dunn (although Dunn's lack of pace means he gets bypassed a lot of the time). If we are after a new midfielder, which we should be, then it should be a high quality passing player who can tackle a bit too. Huddlestone would be ideal but surely extremely expensive even if Spurs let him n the first place.

However there have to be the right sorts of player out there.

It's not about a "new" Sav or Mokoena. It's about a player fulfilling a role. And frankly you've just killed your own argument by mentioning England because the 2 most gifted club midfielders (Lampard and Gerrard) cannot play together and the better balance is when a holding player (Hargreaves or Barry) partners Gerrard. The bottom line in this league is the midfield has to earn the right to play football against all the teams we play and if we had 2 Tugays (even young versions) in there it wouldn't happen. The problem is that when you find a midfielder like that, that can also play a bit of football too, they become very, very expensive because all managers know the value of them. Much as I dislike the guy himself, it would be good if Hughesy could persuade Nicky Butt to come back to the NW - I think he'd fit the bill.

Slight diversion, and I haven't read the match thread yet, but thought the much maligned Axe did a very decent job in his usual role last night. Might not have been against the strongest opposition but that's only a handful of teams in the League. Not saying we don't need a new DM but our existing 'second fiddle' there can do a fair job.

Slight diversion, and I haven't read the match thread yet, but thought the much maligned Axe did a very decent job in his usual role last night. Might not have been against the strongest opposition but that's only a handful of teams in the League. Not saying we don't need a new DM but our existing 'second fiddle' there can do a fair job.

He constantly puts teammates into trouble with his passes.

Assuming he does end up going today - I just wanted to say thanks to Savage for a decent spell at the club.

I'm sure we will miss his tireless energy, although, like many on here, I believe his positive influence on games was getting less and less.

If we're to make the step up to the next level - consistently challenging for Europe, then we need to get someone in with a lot more class. I'm praying Hughes has someone in mind and is getting close to announcing something soon!

Up the Rovers & keep the faith!

Assuming he does end up going today - I just wanted to say thanks to Savage for a decent spell at the club.

I'm sure we will miss his tireless energy, although, like many on here, I believe his positive influence on games was getting less and less.

If we're to make the step up to the next level - consistently challenging for Europe, then we need to get someone in with a lot more class. I'm praying Hughes has someone in mind and is getting close to announcing something soon!

Up the Rovers & keep the faith!

I agree entirely with you - I wasn't a fan when he arrived but he won me round - with his desire and the obvious influence he had on the team - I'd like him to stay to take a rotation role and allow a technically better 'Huddlestone' to bed down but if he does leave I wish him all the best and hope he doesn't play against us again

Super, Super Rob

Always been one of my favourite players. I shall wear my 'SAV' shirt with pride when I play football tonight before retiring it.

I'm 100% certain that our success over the past couple of seasons and us having Sav on board for that time is not some sort of strange coincidence.

All the best Rob, did a great job for us and I'm sure his effort will be appreciated wherever he goes

Not sure if anyone else saw it, but Tony Cottee on SSN said last night that he had spoken to Robbie yesterday on the phone and Rob had said that he wanted to move purely for footballing reasons and stressed it was ntohing to do with the money (in fact he hinted that he might get paid less).

Fair play to him, and I will clap him if/when he plays against us.

- Lucas Neill could take note...

:rover: never rated sav as a player,was gutted when hughes signed him,played a few decent games over the seasons,but he is a tremendous fellow off the field,had the pleasure off meeting him once and he was a breath of fresh air on my understanding off the modern day footballer :brfcsmilie:

It's not about a "new" Sav or Mokoena. It's about a player fulfilling a role. And frankly you've just killed your own argument by mentioning England because the 2 most gifted club midfielders (Lampard and Gerrard) cannot play together and the better balance is when a holding player (Hargreaves or Barry) partners Gerrard. The bottom line in this league is the midfield has to earn the right to play football against all the teams we play and if we had 2 Tugays (even young versions) in there it wouldn't happen. The problem is that when you find a midfielder like that, that can also play a bit of football too, they become very, very expensive because all managers know the value of them. Much as I dislike the guy himself, it would be good if Hughesy could persuade Nicky Butt to come back to the NW - I think he'd fit the bill.

Lampard and Gerrard the two most gifted club midfielders? I think you have the England blinkers on. Not even the two best midfielders in the Premier League.

This is going to be a massively testing time for Mark Hughes and Rovers

With the imminent loss of Robbie Savage, the end of season loss of Tugay, the poor quality of Mokoena, the inconsistant David Dunn, the doubtful long term fitness of Steven Reid plus the lack of any genuine quality coming through from the youth team regarding a central midfield positions.

Hughes and Rovers need to pull in some top quality midfielders from out of the hat but from where ?

Its a massive time in manageing the Rovers first team.

If weve no money surely just one quality player will be enough this transfer window with another in the summer.

Archived