BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn

He has his good days and his bad days still, but his good days now are nowhere near as good as his good days back in his first spell. Before he left for Birmingham, Dunny was capable of 10 goals a season (albeit he was also penalty taker). Now he doesn't ever look like scoring. The goal against Arsenal was somewhat fortuitous, and the only other chances I can remember were a header against Leverkusen which was well saved and unluckily hitting the bar against Liverpool.

He's still a useful player for us, but I wouldn't say he has been a resounding success. When Benni McCarthy takes on a player, you always feel like he has the skill and class to beat him. Dunn doesn't have that quality any more, and as a result tends to lose the ball a lot more than he used to.

As I say, the most disappointing aspect of his return is he doesn't seem to have the ability to arrive into the box and score goals like he used to. That was a huge aspect of his game and now it isn't happening that often.

Dunny still looks a 60 minute player and not your ninety minute man after a long twelve months of re-energising himself at Ewood.

Sadly hes not contributing in an attcking creative sense to the team and when it comes to defending he just a shadow in a Rovers shirt on the pitch.

The Derby and Sunderland games should be more his level would love to believe in Dunny but the visible evidence isnt there yet.

What did we pay for him?

A good move by Hughes. He's had his ups and downs, and he still can't make an impact on the wing, but the pluses with the move are there for anyone to see:

- local boy

- reasonably cheap, considering his nationality....

- attacking qualities from midfield, his drive going forward (much like Bentley) should not be taken for granted. The best way to create two on ones.

Being a small club with very limited funds, bringing players like Dunn back (ideally bringing Duff back to form too) is a great way to fill a position in our team. We probably can't afford buying £4m players in every position, and attacking midfielders will cost you that.

He's been poor of late but at the beginning of the season he was doing brilliantly I thought, let's hope he can get back into that early season form. He offers something different from the other midfielders we've got he's capable of bringing the ball foward and dribbling past players also that goal-saving tackle against Chelsea shows he's got the energy to get up and down the pitch.

I am swaying more towards yes it was a good decision. He is a different player now in my opinion - he is more industrious and breaks plays up. I do wish he scored more goals but he has been pretty close a few times. He has had a fair few lung busting runs but as mentioned he currently has no end product albeit a decent through ball or a shot on target. Dunny is 10 times better than Mokoena and for the money we paid - he is decent business.

It's worked as without him we'd truely be up a creek without a paddle in centre midfield.

As people have stated, he's never going to be the Dunn of old - partly due to the injuries and partly due to the general improvement of the quality of the Premiership. That said, he's a useful player and was aquired on the cheap. The fact that he's English and a local boy is an added bonus.

You are joking of course? Maybe if he was Norwegian you would have a different view?

NOW we know who votes for MGP every week. Obviously knows sod all about fooball.

Ouch, looks like I hit a nerve....

Seriously, why is the nationality of the player an issue here? I have no problems saying that the performance of Gamst have been totally rubbish for a long time. I accept that people have favorite players which make them unable criticize them if their performance ain't good enough. This seems to be the case with David Dunn who many on here really likes.

The truth is that if Dunn wasn't a local lad then there is no way we would have bought him from Birmingham in the first place, because he just isn't a very talented player. The problem I have is that he thinks that he is a great player who can do great things, which he often try to but falls on his arse more often than not. If Dunn could realize that his technical ability is quite limited and just keep it simple, then in my view he would be a much more effective player.

Saying that, he might well be good enough to hold down a place in the starting XI as Savage and Tugay both seems to be past their best now.

It depends what you realistically expect for an initial 1m plus add ons.

We'd all have loved to have seen the vintage Dunny c2001 back.

However if he was still that good, he would probably have cost 15m.

I think he's done quite well all things considered.

He has his good days and his bad days still, but his good days now are nowhere near as good as his good days back in his first spell. Before he left for Birmingham, Dunny was capable of 10 goals a season (albeit he was also penalty taker). Now he doesn't ever look like scoring. The goal against Arsenal was somewhat fortuitous, and the only other chances I can remember were a header against Leverkusen which was well saved and unluckily hitting the bar against Liverpool.

He's still a useful player for us, but I wouldn't say he has been a resounding success. When Benni McCarthy takes on a player, you always feel like he has the skill and class to beat him. Dunn doesn't have that quality any more, and as a result tends to lose the ball a lot more than he used to.

As I say, the most disappointing aspect of his return is he doesn't seem to have the ability to arrive into the box and score goals like he used to. That was a huge aspect of his game and now it isn't happening that often.

Summed up nicely mate. It's a shame he doesn't dance past players like he used to, but as has been said, if he did we'd never have been able to afford him.

Unfortunately it would appear Dunny is just another one in a long line of players who have been ravaged by injuries to such an extent to have suffered a permanent decline in ability. Whilst the jury is still out, it would appear Reidy is heading the same way.

Summed up nicely mate. It's a shame he doesn't dance past players like he used to, but as has been said, if he did we'd never have been able to afford him.

Unfortunately it would appear Dunny is just another one in a long line of players who have been ravaged by injuries to such an extent to have suffered a permanent decline in ability. Whilst the jury is still out, it would appear Reidy is heading the same way.

Its all to do with pace. Dunn still has plenty of skill in my eyes but whilst he can beat a player he can't stay ahead of them after that. They just catch him and rob him. Dunn needs to adjust his style a bit to be more effective and find ways of creating space for himself.

I hope the same slowing down doesn't happen to Reid. If it does he is buggered as Reid is essentially a player who depends on his ability to cover ground.

Dunn might need to re-invent himself in the summer. Play as many matches as possible and try to adapt to a central deep midfielder. It's becoming increasingly obvious that he can no longer get past people as he did in an attacking midfield position and this situation will only worsen. So for him there are no other positions that suit except the deep midfield 'drum beating' role.

btw If Reid loses his pace than unfortunately for him he will have to play in the lower divisions.

Dunn plays wih passion always and I think he is a bargain for what he cost.

I think it has worked out, but he is not the player he once was.

I think that Hughes will be looking to bring in more quality in central midfield, given Tugays age and Savages failure to perform.

Dunn may then not be such a first team regular as he will be this season, next season.

I completely agree with the guys talking about the way that Dunn often skins a player and then immediately gets caught up, where as a young Dunn would often have that yard or two more to play with - such as his England Under 21 'Maradonna' goal. It's a shame, but as squad player he surely is proving to be value for money. I personally thought his best game back was against Chelsea in last season's semi, but unfortunately he hasn't hit those heights this term.

Archived