BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Indian Cricketers Taking Their Ball And Going Home!

Fun fact about opinions; unless they're blatant lies or proven wrong, then no one can say they're wrong.

Also, I'm not going to pretend I know anything about cricket, but the way you rant about the Australians makes it appear as if you believe there is some giant cricket conspiracy. Every single one of the greatest teams in every sport became great not only for strictly beating their opponents, but by exploiting errors made by umpires and officials. Every team has a bot of luck, or 'rub of the green' or whatever you wanna call it; it's the great teams that capitalize on it. I don't know why you're so headstrong about bashing the Australians, but it seems rather silly and makes me not want to read this thread anymore.

Because they are the most graceless team that I can remember, nearly as bad as Manchester United. However I have the greatest admiration for their skill, their courage, their application, bravery and bloody mindedness.

I just detest the way they go about playing the game at times. Because they dont need to go about it the way they do, and when something goes against them, just listen to the whining. See that blog about Ponting's holier than thou defence of why he cant understand why people could possibly be upset with his, and his teams behaviour.

Im sorry that you think I hate the Australian Nation, I really dont, I dont particularly dislike Ricky Ponting the batsman (in fact I would quite happily pay to watch him), I just really dispise his attitude as a captain.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Herb Elliott, Robert de Castella and John Bertrand have echoed the comments of the Indian cricket team, that Australia did not play in the spirit of the game...."

Even the lags are turning on their fellow inmates.

'Nuff said.

Basically:

Noone knows if Harbhajan used that taunt. On one hand we have the two men concerned, and on opposing sides we have Ricky Ponting and Sachin Tendulkar. One is a man who has quite rightly been criticised now and in the past for his lack of sportsmanship, the other is arguably the finest cricketer of his generation who has played for twenty years under enormous pressure at the very top level without a single blight on his disciplinary record or reputation.

That said, its perfectly possible that the Aussies may be telling the truth. However, to convict Harbhajan is saying that the words of an Australian are worth more than the words of an Indian, which given Ponting and the team's behaviour throughout the Test match is beyond belief. If there was any extra evidence against Harbhajan then denounce him and ban him, but there isn't. I fail to see how anyone can argue in favour of the ban in this instance.

And about Bucknor, he didn't just have a bad game. He had the worst game I've ever seen from a Test match umpire. His decisions were far beyond the remit of a slight edge missed or a lbw missing leg stump. It wasn't just the clearest edge you'll ever have heard from Symonds he didn't give. It wasn't even the caught behind he gave to Dravid when his bat was behind his pad and could in no way have touched the ball. The landmark moment was surely on the second morning, when, even after his umpiring performance had been put into the spotlight, he refused to allow a third umpire view (which India were well entitled to) for a stumping that would have been given out. The sheer arrogance of the man was on display here; usually umpires allow third umpire views even when its fairly clear that it isn't out, just to be safe. He's been making shocking decisions at the top for the last few years, anyone who watches cricket regularly enough will surely be able to tell.

And maybe India have been a little petulant. But were it not for the shocking quality of the umpiring, India would not only have drawn this but they would have most probably won it. 190/7 would not have led to 465, and I cant remember what the score was for the missed stumping but I'm pretty sure the Aussie first innings defecit would have been signifcantly greater. And when thats pretty much the difference between you going 1-1 in the series and 2-0 down in a series such as this one where victory would mean so much, things can be hard to stomach. And even taking the first innings out of the equation, they would 100% have drawn it if it wasnt for the awful second innings dismissals, and then 1-0 down with two tests to go is still an okay position.

I'm sure Sir Geoffrey will tell us all exactly what he thinks about it and how it was much better in his day, how the bowling was roobish, how his grandmother would get all those decisions right, how he was telling Jesus christ at dinner where he went wrong during the sermon on the mount (bat too far from the body-Sir Geoffrey's gran would have hit it for four) blah blah worship sir geoffrey blah blah look at me lookat me blah blah name drop name drop blah blah blowers is better blah blah

I'm sure Sir Geoffrey will tell us all exactly what he thinks about it and how it was much better in his day, how the bowling was roobish, how his grandmother would get all those decisions right, how he was telling Jesus christ at dinner where he went wrong during the sermon on the mount (bat too far from the body-Sir Geoffrey's gran would have hit it for four) blah blah worship sir geoffrey blah blah look at me lookat me blah blah name drop name drop blah blah blowers is better blah blah

Yeah.... he is one of those people who are genuinely funny without meaning to be isn't he.

I remember during the 2005 Ashes, there was a shot from the blimp showing huge crowds trying to get in as play was getting underway, and Michael Atherton dryly commenting to Sir Geoff "I bet they they queued like that to see you bat Geoffrey". Boycott then waffled on about how he wasn't the only star player for England or whatever, seemingly missing Atherton's sarcasm.

As for India, well it proves that the Sub-Continent can operate under their own rules as the ICC crumble to both India and Pakistan. Can't wait until England walk out after a player is investigated for swearing a lot. A I heard Jonthan Agnew say that the Indian crowd were monkey chanting Symonds at a test match in India recently. And as for the reaction of the Indian public.....................pathetic. They do love a good riot and effigy burning don't they? Jade Goody, Richard Gere, and now Steve Bucknor. I await to see men with big moustaches gabbling in Hindi denouncing my mum as she hates curry. It's a case of one rule for the sub-continent, and another for the rest. The ICC are puny worms.

Yeah.... he is one of those people who are genuinely funny without meaning to be isn't he.

he has well and truly delivered:

Well, players will support their own colleagues because that is human nature. But the Australians complaining? Jiminy Cricket! Some of them, not all of their players but some of them, in recent times have been some of the worst at sledging opposition players. So to hear them complaining is a bit of a laugh. What can a coloured man - as Harbhajan is - say to another coloured man that is racial? I'm interested in that. I can understand one coloured man insulting another, but I'm not clear about how you can be racial.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't aware there was any shocking decisions. Interesting to see how the Aussies perform when on best behaviour and simply playing cricket. Was a very good game to be fair played in the right spirit, if only the Aussies could manage that more often.

Surprised more hasn't been made of the furore back in Oz about Ponting and the way the team have conducted themselves prior to this match. One newspaper poll had the majority wanting Ponting removed as captain. Clearly there are many Aussies that don't share the win at all costs mentality that Ponting has played with.

Quick cricket lesson for you

IF it hits the bat before the pad, that can't be LBW

IF it isn't going on to hit the stumps, that can't be LBW

Anyway, India played wonderfully and it was a very enjoyable test match to watch, if you missed it then as a fellow cricketing supporter that is a shame.

Can't win them all I guess.

I think it's Punter and Clarke you need to give the cricketing lesson to. I didn't say their wasn't any incorrect decisions, I simply didn't see any shockers. Symonds for instance in hindsight got an inside edge, however you could never describe it as a shocker.

I was more interested to see whether any Aussies agreed with the view that has gathered pace that the Aussie cricketers have gone way to far in the last year or so. Obviously I wouldn't expect you to subscribe to that view but I was wondering if any of the less blinkered Aussies we get on here had an opinion seeing as i've seen nothing on this thread other than the Symonds/Harbajan stuff. Whereas I understand in Oz that has received little press and more of the focus was on certain Aussies ignoring spirit of the game.

I would agree that all forms of sledging has increased and probably beyond what would be accepted within normal society.

The view though that Australia is worse is laughable, have a look at where Australia stands in the ICC list of 'bad boys', last time I checked 4th, someway behind the so called saints of India in 1st.

Those doing all the 'talking' in OZ have been of the likes of John Bertrand who offered to meet with cricket Australia to discuss his concerns. Yes, ok mate, sure.

The people who are jumping up and down are the people who don't even follow the sport, think little kids with anti war posters. Even your own England legend Tony Grieg advocated sledging and hinted that racial taunts should be kept on the field.

Yes, let's not worry about the match fixing, crowd violence, well let's just rap it all up as the 'sub continent' and clean up this nasty talk on the field.

Would I prefer a game played in the 'spirit' of cricket, absolutely, however why stop with one sport.

Interesting to see how the Aussies perform when on best behaviour and simply playing cricket.

Correct.

Perhaps cricket might return to the beautiful game between bat and ball that it used to be instead being dragged through the gutter by foul-mouthed players.

Ponting should be censured by the ICC for presiding over a disgraceful Australia team but he was merely carrying on the behaviour of Steve Waugh and his desire for the "mental destruction" of players through sledging and abuse.

With the very game itself coming close to destruction during this series I hope Waugh is happy with his legacy.

Archived