BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mc Carthy

Now if any of u would rather have Roberts ahead of McCarthy then you all have lost the plot…Roberts is big,strong guy but when given the chance he didn’t really impress me at all.Works hard yeh,but putting the ball in the back of the net is another story.

Benni might not work hard,but put the ball in the right area and he will get you a goal.Service has been coming from Bentley,but on the left hand side Gamst has been awful.ive seen bents running from the right to the left,then trying to feed McCarthy and Cruz.thats just ridiculous.we seem to be playing with one midfielder,and the others are just making up the numbers.

No doubt about it Benni has got talent, but at the moment we need a more hard working forward to play along side Santa.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You've just been saying on another thread that McCarthy was on his way down when we signed him

Yeah he is,but im comparing him with Roberts in terms of who we would rather have.He is on a downward curve,and I will stick with my view that he aint the player he was.if he gets 15 goals this season,then he would have done well

if he gets 15 goals this season,then he would have done well

Well we are halfway through the season and he has 9. I think another 6 is within his downward spiralling legs.

What target are you setting for 14 goals Santa Cruz?

Benni is not suited to the way we are playing at the moment - which is poorly! When the team comes good so will Benni so no don't sell just drop (for now - luxury player).

Although I have yet to see anything that suggest Santa Cruz and Benni will make good strike partners.

Although I have yet to see anything that suggest Santa Cruz and Benni will make good strike partners.

Agreed. McCarthy shouldn't be sold but his future could well be bench shaped...

Hughes clearly wants a striker in to replace Roberts, but it to be a first XI player, not someone to back up McCarthy and Cruz.

Any striker of quality who has pace will dislodge Benni.

If / when we get a good midfield pairing again, and maybe even a second wide player who performs, I think we'll see why Benni is so highly rated - again. He has looked good alongside RSC earlier, but since the only real support comes from David Bentley's crossing and nothing else, we're lucky to have one striker scoring, let alone two.

If / when we get a good midfield pairing again, and maybe even a second wide player who performs, I think we'll see why Benni is so highly rated - again. He has looked good alongside RSC earlier, but since the only real support comes from David Bentley's crossing and nothing else, we're lucky to have one striker scoring, let alone two.

That’s been a problem at Rovers for a long time now.Its always our midfield that are not good,and every manager seems to overlook the problem when they have been in charge.The fans can see where the problem lies,but the coach doesn’t.Thats worrying,because we all can see that we need something special in midfield,someone to unlock defences etc etc.

Mccarthy played well today.he played more for the team today.He was tracking back and tackling...he did well i thought.

What :mellow:

He was so careless and slack on the ball I was at the point of destroying my TV in anger. Roberts threatened a lot more whenever he came on and won us the game so Benni needs to shape up or ship out IMO.

McCarthy was shocking again today. Everyone says he scores goals but 3 from open play all season suggests otherwise. We're selling the wrong striker.

I agree mate, diabolical performance had to many opputunities to shine this season and hasn't taken him, give someone else a chance based on roberts cameo id give him a run

McCarthy was shocking again today. Everyone says he scores goals but 3 from open play all season suggests otherwise. We're selling the wrong striker.

Completely disagree. He did a lot of work today. Granted he played the worse pass of the game but he ran and ran and tbh we didnt create anything in the first 45 minutes.

Completely disagree. He did a lot of work today. Granted he played the worse pass of the game but he ran and ran and tbh we didnt create anything in the first 45 minutes.

Spot on. In a poor first half he quickly realised he had to help out and try to create something. He may not have scored but at least he put the work in, which is what people have been having a go at him for! :rover:

Hardly anyone is creating for him, so what he does is drop back to help out and that kills his scoring game, which is basically to poach goals.

The wrong striker isn't being sold (it doesn't look like any striker is being sold anyway, or at least the club doesn't want him sold if they can help it): the right midfielder isn't being bought.

Hardly anyone is creating for him, so what he does is drop back to help out and that kills his scoring game, which is basically to poach goals.

The wrong striker isn't being sold (it doesn't look like any striker is being sold anyway, or at least the club doesn't want him sold if they can help it): the right midfielder isn't being bought.

I too thought mccarthy worked harder than I've seen him work. Ok he still isn't firing on all cylinders but today he looked like he was enjoying his football again and you can't deny his delight when Roberts scored. The team needed to produce after last week and they did against a side who've only conceded 9 goals at home this season and haven't lost according to Megson. For a team who will have gone through it this week with all the speculation around Hughes and the appalling performance last week we did really well.

Archived