BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mc Carthy

Bizarrely tonight in the Pub during the second half I was introduced to a middle aged chap who said McCarthy was going out with his niece.

He said Newcastle had come in for McCarthy prior to Christmas but he had turned them down because he wants to move to a London Club.

This chap said McCarthy is holding on because he (Benni) believes Spurs will come in for him before the end of the transfer window.

This bloke also said he personally believes that whether Spurs come in for McCarthy will hinge upon whether Berbatov leaves Spurs, which is looking less likely, so McCarthy may end up having to stay.

Bloke said he had never met Benni, he just turns up at his brother's house and whisks his niece off in his Bentley!

I'd be quite relaxed about McCarthy leaving for the right sort of price but not at the last minute leaving us no time to find a replacement.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bizarrely tonight in the Pub during the second half I was introduced to a middle aged chap who said McCarthy was going out with his niece.

He said Newcastle had come in for McCarthy prior to Christmas but he had turned them down because he wants to move to a London Club.

This chap said McCarthy is holding on because he (Benni) believes Spurs will come in for him before the end of the transfer window.

This bloke also said he personally believes that whether Spurs come in for McCarthy will hinge upon whether Berbatov leaves Spurs, which is looking less likely, so McCarthy may end up having to stay.

Bloke said he had never met Benni, he just turns up at his brother's house and whisks his niece off in his Bentley!

I'd be quite relaxed about McCarthy leaving for the right sort of price but not at the last minute leaving us no time to find a replacement.

Come on Spurs do us all a favour !

How old's the niece?

How's about replacing him with Jason Roberts? Benni could only dream of scoring that goal today.

Those people saying he played well today must be mental.

His passes were off

He wasnt in tune with the other players

He gives up to easily (there were a couple of times were he lost it and didnt try to win it back

It also still annoys me how even though he will jump for a header he always jumps out of the challenge

Not happy with him - his mate Roberts proves again that he will work harder for us.

Don't know.

Bloke said he was surprised McCarthy wasn't settled down at his age but said he had a child in France from a previous relationship.

Settled down at his age? What is he. 30? Blimey, I better get down the church

I'm presuming from the timings of these posts that no one who has posted so far actually went to the game. From my viewpoint he had a pretty good game. Not the best he's ever played for us but for me he would be one of the top 2 or 3 Rovers performers on the day.

Not the best he's ever played for us but for me he would be one of the top 2 or 3 Rovers performers on the day.

That doesn't say much for the other 9 or so. I thought he was pretty poor, like he has been for most of the season.

If he gets picked ahead of Roberts next week (assuming JR is still here) then I will be disappointed with Hughes (assuming he is still here too).

Not happy with him - his mate Roberts proves again that he will work harder for us.

He may "work harder", but he will also - always - be infinitely less talented.

Benni played well today, as was recognised by the rousing reception he recieved when he was substituted. Not one of his best games, but a solid, committed, performance.

Why isn't anyone pointing out that Roberts is only "turning it on" now, when he's so desperate to leave?

As for the "Benni is dating random guys niece" post - Last I knew he was married with a kid: http://www.southafrica.info/2010/benni-mccarthy-300107.htm

Must say guys, i have not seen Benni as committed as I saw today.. i was very impressed with his effort VERY UNLIKE him... which leads me to believe.. live on sky, was he playing for a move??? The same could be said about Roberts, seriously guys if these guys only turn it on when they feel like it, or when its in there interest, then its an insult to every single person that supports our beloved Rovers...

Actualy my opinion is if your taking 100% of your salary and not giving 100% you are stealing...?? Just my opinion....... <_<

I thought McCarthy was average today. He wasn't as bad as some of his excruciating lazy performances earlier in the season, but Benni still has some way to go before he is back to his best.

I think I'm right in saying that the penalty he scored against Sunderland is McCarthy's only goal in his last 13 appearances. In contrast, Santa Cruz has eight goals in his last seven games. When he's not scoring, Benni's contribution can sometimes be limited and there were a couple of occasions at the Reebok today when McCarthy clearly went for the wrong option and decided to play the wrong pass.

I suspect that for at least part of this season Mark Hughes has been tearing his grey hair out at some of Mccarthy's decisions and his lack of workrate in certain matches.

Comment relating to my father's views edited - comment not intended to be offensive.

I daresay that my father - who is from an older generation in his late sixties - wouldn't be entirely happy if a chap like McCarthy was going out with a member of our family.... :unsure:

You're unbelievable sometimes.

Still, that explains a hell of a lot. :rolleyes:

You're unbelievable sometimes.

Still, that explains a hell of a lot. :rolleyes:

To be fair McCarthy probably would be a nightmare for some young lass to go out with. He'd talk too much, be moody and never put much effort into the relationship. You'd score with him at first but after a while he'd lose interest and the scoring would stop.

come on people, some of the things said on here is thinly veiled prejudice but lets not make mountains out of molehills. in this instance, at least, it seemed fairly innocuous. even if when he said 'a chap like mccarthy' he meant a black guy, all he's saying is that his father, who is from an older generation, may not have liked it. it's pretty well established that a lot of people in their sixties and above can be quite racist, its a generational thing. not that we should forgive them, but he didnt say that would have been his reaction, merely his dads.

i'm usually against quite a lot of what some of the more right wing members of the board say on issues like this, but in this case its nothing we don't already know.

Archived