BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mc Carthy

all he's saying is that his father, who is from an older generation, may not have liked it.

But why did that need to be said? AESF has done this a few times; dropped in a casual remark at the end of a post about the colour of a players' skin. I can't be arsed digging it up, but he did it with Samba when he signed for us...something along the lines of "if he wasn't smiling in that picture I don't think I'd have known he was there...". He did that in a smarmy, almost flippant way at the end of a relatively long post as well. There are other examples too.

I'm not saying it should be censored or anything, I'm aware far worse things get said. I just pity the man that he feels the need to drop in these comments every so often about black players.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Benni's overall quality today? Like the rest of the team; not great. Benni's work ethic, which is what people on here have been so critical of? Pretty much fantastic. Non-Rovers fans who I was watching the game with commented on how much he was getting back to defend and chasing the ball around the halfway line. He ran his socks off. He was also there at the end of the game and rather enjoyed us scoring a goal and winning the match. Shock horror.

But why did that need to be said? AESF has done this a few times; dropped in a casual remark at the end of a post about the colour of a players' skin. I can't be arsed digging it up, but he did it with Samba when he signed for us...something along the lines of "if he wasn't smiling in that picture I don't think I'd have known he was there...". He did that in a smarmy, almost flippant way at the end of a relatively long post as well. There are other examples too.

I'm not saying it should be censored or anything, I'm aware far worse things get said. I just pity the man that he feels the need to drop in these comments every so often about black players.

Does it really matter? My dad said he would kick me out of the house if I had a black girlfriend but that doesn't make me partial to wearing sheets. My mum ranted about catholics but now I am married to one, its all personal preference and if his relatives like to buy different lengthed two by fours and a gallon of petrol at the same time, let them have at it as they are not members of this board.

Benny's work ethic was much improved this game and Roberts justified why I was screaming for him to play instead of Benny two weeks ago. I think Benny will get better and better over the next couple of weeks along with out friend Gamst.

I felt in the second half when we were breaking on notlob mccarthy was especially poor - at least 4 or so times his net effect was to lose possession very easily. Roberts was infinitely more effective

It is a real dilemma this - Mccarthy is a potential world beater who for whatever reason is hopelessly out of form; Roberts is a decent striker who is much more effective at the moment, and he has been every time I've seen him this season.

Roberts deserves to start while Mccarthy gets his mojo working again. But if one has to leave this window I'm stumped for an answer

I really cannot agree that Benni had a better game yesterday. I just think that this shows how far our expectations of Benni have fallen.

As a previous poster rightly pointed out, he regularly gave the ball away yesterday when attempting to make a relatively simple pass. A player of his incredible talent should not be making so many simple errors. He didn't have a single attempt on goal and i think August to January is enough time to give to any player to turn his form around.

I was at the game yesterday and I dont agree that his all-round display was much improved.

So, to his replacement. I think it is unfair to say Roberts was only turning it on as it's the Transfer Window. In my opinion, he has consistently contributed effectively on the precious few opportunities he has been given.

He has undoubtedly deserved a place in the starting line-up although I understand that Hughesy may have left him out for other reasons.

I think it's time to start Jason Roberts on Saturday and leave him in the team until he is sold or until after Easter. He made a mistake asking for a transfer but I think he is our second best striker (on form) and we need to play him.

Surely every other fan at the game yesterday must agree with me.............

I really cannot agree that Benni had a better game yesterday. I just think that this shows how far our expectations of Benni have fallen.

I think Benni had a poor game - but he was trying very hard - and that'll do for most fans.

It was also nice to see him running over to celebrate with the rest of the boys - when if rumours are to be believed - he was already on his way home at 90 minutes against Newcastle.

Roberts turned it on when he turned the Fulham game earlier this season. He also come off the bench and turned it on against newcastle.

As Ricky said he scored 5 goals in his last 6 games. However this season he has only started 1 premier league game (the first at middlesboro).

Does anyone really think he's got a fair crack of the whip bearing in mind Benni's form?

Had he started as many games as Benni does anyone think he wouldn't have scored more than the 3 goals mcCarthy has got from open play?

I agree, Roberts is by nature an energetic player. There is certainly no doubt that this has put him more in the shop window under the circumstances though.

I don't see how Hughes can omit him now. The only thing would be Benni's reaction to it although I'd like to think he'd recognise that Roberts deserves his run in the team. I see a problem arising if Hughes did this... Benni's value must have dropped considerably since Summer and it probably wouldn't make sense to sell him for a relatively small amount. If Roberts did produce the goods and kept Benni out I can see his price dropping even further in Summer.

Would it make sense to flog him now? I don't think anyone would be interested in him and I can just see him lingering with Rovers, wanting to be elsewhere and Hughes having a bad apple in the cart.

He looked chuffed to bits for roberts yesterday so why think he's always got an attitude problem? It would appear that the poor attitude was definitely Savage who by the way looked awful for Derby.

We all know what Benni's capable of, it's just not happening for him at the moment.

The bottom line is that no club can afford to leave an out of form player in the team for more than 3 months when alternatives are chomping.

I'm glad the inclusion of Roberts is receiving support.

The chant for him (Pigbag, isnt it?) is also popular although we were so hysterical with delight on Sunday that it seemed to come out like a series of strangled screams.

A similar outcome at Villa will produce an even more heightened level of joy. Looking forward to it, just hope we can dispose of a weak 'boro first.

Keep Hughesy and the future looks bright............

The fickle nature of fans. Roberts has a good 13 minutes and now he is a world beater. Roberts is nowhere near the class of Mcarthy; his value to the side has got to be as a sub, He has shown that he is not quite up to the mark when he`s on from the start. A good player dont get me wrong but you have to have Benni with Roque as they are the best combination. Roberts has power and pace when he wants to use them but i think you need more than that to reach a European place.

on paper cruz and mcarthy is the best combination-on paper you could say its one of the best partnerships in the league..but it isnt on paper..its on the field..and sadly , the combination of cruz and mcarthy hasnt lived up to what i thought it would be...

cruz has been brilliant, whereas mcarthy hasnt...time to give someone else a chance..

on paper cruz and mcarthy is the best combination-on paper you could say its one of the best partnerships in the league..but it isnt on paper..its on the field..and sadly , the combination of cruz and mcarthy hasnt lived up to what i thought it would be...

cruz has been brilliant, whereas mcarthy hasnt...time to give someone else a chance..

I wouldn`t be too harsh on the pairing. They have got 16 prem goals between them which compares quite well with most teams apart from Manu. We did seem to struggle when we went one up top for a while and I think they play well together as a unit. The main problem we have is getting the ball from midfield up to the strikers so that they can use it effectively. Roberts has a role to play and I dont want to see him go but he does seem a very temperamental character. Hughesy has a job on to make him more of a team player.

The fickle nature of fans. Roberts has a good 13 minutes and now he is a world beater. Roberts is nowhere near the class of Mcarthy; his value to the side has got to be as a sub, He has shown that he is not quite up to the mark when he`s on from the start. A good player dont get me wrong but you have to have Benni with Roque as they are the best combination. Roberts has power and pace when he wants to use them but i think you need more than that to reach a European place.

Not to decry Jason's invaluable goal but the knockdown he received from Roque was far and away the best ball to any forward all game and who knows where Jason's shot would have gone had it not taken two deflections to direct it into the near corner of the net.

Not to decry Jason's invaluable goal but the knockdown he received from Roque was far and away the best ball to any forward all game and who knows where Jason's shot would have gone had it not taken two deflections to direct it into the near corner of the net.

I do know that had Benni picked the ball up where Roberts did at the Reebok we'd have drawn that game 1-1. There's no way he'd have got a shot off, he'd probably have tried backheeling out to the wing or something.

The fact is Benni is not scoring goals and not playing well. This has been the case practically all season. I, and obviously several others, think Roberts would have done a better job than Benni has done this season and would have scored more goals from open play.

It was a simple header, nothing special about it at all. And yes, of course he was lucky, he didn't even show much skill doing what he did - but he showed will and courage on top of pace and strength, and he scored the winning goal. Neither Roque or Benni would do the same in that position.

no one is saying jason roberts is a world beater..

all im saying and many others is that..he deserves his chance..benni mcarthy hasnt been performing of late, so why play him..jason roberts came on against bolton..showed what he is about therefore should start next game...

with the standard mcarthy set in his first season-maybe some of us think he has gone down hill this season..because i do..based on this season alone..mcarthy has had about 4-6 good games all season..his last good game was more then 2months ago..

if roberts doesnt start next game, i personally dont blame him for wanting to leave..

Archived