BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mc Carthy

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeh, resting cruz might not be a bad idea..

roberts and mcarthy played well aswell towards end of last season..

all i know..roberts should definatly start next game..either next to mcarthy or cruz..

agree with that. if i was sparky, i'd go for a roberts, mccarthy line up in the next game.

we don't want santa cruz to burn out, so lets give him a little rest and see if roberts has what it takes....

I'd be very tempted to play Benni in midfield and start with Roberts up front. It's far from ideal, but that is the state of our squad at the moment.

No offence but I can't exactly see Benni either working hard to get the ball back or tracking the opposition midfielder 30 yards back towards his own box. No thanks.

I'm not expecting him to play the Mokoena role, he won't protect the back four, but he covers more than enough ground to play in central midfield and in recent weeks he has tended to drop so deep that he has virtually been playing there anyway.

Well I for one DO think that Sparkey should start JR. Lets see what hes got. Last week he came on and was a man on a f**kin mission and he did us proud. I think Santa should sit out this one, rest him so he'll be ready to give it all for the games coming up. Id like to see Benni and JR up top and see if they can get a little something going. UP ROVERS!

We would be crazy to sell Benni. Cant believe that this is being given serious consideration. Where else can we get someone who was the second highest scorer in the premier! Teams need strikers who can really bother the opposing defence and Benni is the real deal. He is a little frustrating at time though

We would be crazy to sell Benni. Cant believe that this is being given serious consideration. Where else can we get someone who was the second highest scorer in the premier! Teams need strikers who can really bother the opposing defence and Benni is the real deal. He is a little frustrating at time though

I think we could stand a chance of luring Marcus Stewart from Yeovil..

Point being, past is past and currently Benni isn't much of a threat. If he can sort himself out, ok then, but at the moment I rather give Jase or Derbs the minutes they need than look at Benni standing in offside position waving his hands like he just don't care.

I still can't believe this thread....

Jason Roberts... big strong, lacking skill on the ball, lacking finishing ability

Benni McCarthy... proven scorer, good ball skills in close quarters, clinical finisher

form is temporary, class is permanent, Bennni should be permanently ahead of Roberts. If anything, all roberts has done is convicend sparky to give him more time off the bench for Benni or Santa at the end of a match.

Roberts deserves a start but essentially a happy squad is important. All this anti benny stuff is OTT. He's class and if he had no faults he wouldnt be at our club.

Either a rest for rocky or I would prefer all 3 with benny playing in the hole in a diamond midfield. I think this may solve several problems we have had up to that 2nd half at Bolton.

I still can't believe this thread....

Benni McCarthy... proven scorer, good ball skills in close quarters, clinical finisher

form is temporary, class is permanent, Bennni should be permanently ahead of Roberts.

I still can't believe some posts on this thread. Three points make me disagree with what you've said above.

1) Benni has been poor for 6 months.

2) He has not scored goals this season.

3) Had Roberts been on the pitch for as long as Benni this season I believe he would have scored more and contributed more.

Roberts should start infront of Benni because Benni is playing poorly. He's had long enough to prove it's not just a bad patch of form. To keep starting with him sends out the message that he is untouchable and will not be dropped. This may well have led to complacency in the player. It certainly leads to frustration in the players that unfairly can't get a look in.

The fact is the Benni McCarthy of this season has not performed as well as the Jason Roberts of late last season.

We are talking about a goal every other game striker throughout his career. The guy only has a Champions League Winner's Medal!

McCarthy has to start if fit.

How long can he go at a goal every 6 games whilst doing little else before we drop him then?

Whilst not wishing to look like I'm on a Benni witch-hunt, looking back through the LET archive for something else I came across this. It quotes from Benni the year before we bought him when we bought Bellamy instead.

QUOTE:" "I am a good player who, at Blackburn Rovers, could easily acquire the necessary experience in a championship as fascinating as the English one, to later make a leap to a club of a bigger dimension, such as Manchester or Chelsea."

In hindsight we should have known what would happen when we signed him with regard to sulking over not getting his move to Chelsea!

Noticed Ramos was slyly touting Berbatov about in the Sun today saying that it would take a very big offer from a very big club before they could be persuaded to let him go etc...........................

I would imagine that won't have escaped the notice of Benni or his agent.

Whilst not wishing to look like I'm on a Benni witch-hunt, looking back through the LET archive for something else I came across this. It quotes from Benni the year before we bought him when we bought Bellamy instead.

QUOTE:" "I am a good player who, at Blackburn Rovers, could easily acquire the necessary experience in a championship as fascinating as the English one, to later make a leap to a club of a bigger dimension, such as Manchester or Chelsea."

In hindsight we should have known what would happen when we signed him with regard to sulking over not getting his move to Chelsea!

:lol: :lol: "club of a bigger dimension" he makes it sound like he's on star trek ffs

Archived