BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New York/boston

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting to this convo very late, but while ion NYC I would suggest staying at a hotel in Long Island City, just a 5-10 min subway ride to midtown and rooms are top be had for around 100 bucks, just make sure the hotel is near the N/W or the 7 train. If you plan to go to a Yankees (god I hate them) game sit in the bleachers as there is a better atmosphere and the tickets are cheeper. I wont suggest any tourist places as I can't stand how slow tourists walk around this city and it gets very annoying having to constantly walk around them. If rovers have a match while your here let me know, as I'd love to meet up at Nevada Smiths. Cheers and Ifg you have any questions about anything in the city send me an message. Cheers.

• Backroom

Well just got back this morning, had an awesome time, the weather was torrential rain at times then weirdly hot yesterday.

Made no odds though as we made the most of it, the only problem is I broke my videocamera filming a storm in Central park :unsure:

• 8 months later...

Well, I'm off to New York, Las Vegas and Anaheim at the end of the week. I've done Vegas before and have done Orlando so I can kinda guess which Anaheim will be like (at least the bit of it my wife wants to see), which leaves New York.

I've devised a pretty decent touristy itinery for New York, but I'm after suggestions for bars, restraunts and any great tips I won't have already picked up from guide books and tourist websites.

Do the Liberty Island and Ellis Island tours - both excellent. On Ellis Island take the ranger guided tour rather than use the headphones. Book tickets in advance online to save queuing twice - same goes for Empire State bldg.

A good follow-up is to visit the East Side Tenement Museum, shows where the immigrants would likely have ended up after being processed on Ellis. Katz's deli nearby does great pastrami sandwiches.

Top Of The Rock is good (better than Empire State IMO).

Grand Central a must-see.

Great restaurant called Bubby's in TriBeCa, and Blue Smoke on E. 27th does excellent ribs.

Well, I'm off to New York, Las Vegas and Anaheim at the end of the week. I've done Vegas before and have done Orlando so I can kinda guess which Anaheim will be like (at least the bit of it my wife wants to see), which leaves New York.

I've devised a pretty decent touristy itinery for New York, but I'm after suggestions for bars, restraunts and any great tips I won't have already picked up from guide books and tourist websites.

Carmines Italian restaurant in the theatre district is a must, just beware the portions are humongous! http://www.carminesnyc.com/

Smith & Wollenskies is the best steak house I've visited in NYC, it's not the cheapest but it's well worth it. Eat in the bar grill rather than the restaurant and you'll save a few dollars.

http://www.smithandwollensky.com/new_york.htm

I'd recommend a trip up the Empire State Building, dependant on the weather.

• Backroom

Glenn, last time we went we took a subway over to Brooklyn (is it Clarke street) and had a walk down the front it was great. The intention was to go to Grimaldis for a pizza but decided against it and took a leisurely walk back across the Brooklyn bridge facing Manhattan it was brilliant.

Glenn,

If you are in to your rock music then try and get to Arlene's Grocery on a Tuesday night.

They have a live rock band that will accompany you karaoke rock song of choice. They are on the net with a sample song list, supposed to be brilliant.

Carmines Italian restaurant in the theatre district is a must, just beware the portions are humongous! http://www.carminesnyc.com/

Weird. I work there. Well, in Atlantic City. Glenn, it's worth a trip (in NYC, don't come here!) but probably only with 4+ people.

Avoid the Statue of Liberty like the plague, unless you fancy wasting half a day on nothing. Also don't bother with Katz's Deli, it's a tourist trap.

Can second the recommendations for Top of the Rock and a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge.

If you want some out-of-the-ordinary food (Ox tongue and the like) try here.

Some good blog advice: 1, 2, 3.

As already stated, don't bother with Katz's Diner on the Lower East Side. However just along from Katz's (which is on Houston Street) is a cracking little diner called Sugar. It's located on the corner of 2nd Avenue and Houston (on the same side of the street as Katz's, directly across the road from an entrance to the Lower East Side 2nd Ave subway stop on the orange line) and serves up great sandwiches and even better cheesecake. I've been there a few times now and it's really very good. :tu:

You should walk the Brooklyn Bridge all the way to Brooklyn. Brooklyn Heights on the other side is a very nice location for a stroll and there's a lovely big park there (complete with field turf playing pitch) where you can have a picnic. There's a fantastic little deli called Cranberry on Henry Street in Brooklyn. You basically come off the bridge, there's a scrubby little park in front of you (the main park I mentioned is about half a block beyond that). You'll see a subway entrance to the right of said scrubby park (the blue line's High Street stop - very handy for getting you back into Manhattan) and the deli is on the street just beyond that. Great sandwiches and the best chocolate chip muffins you'll ever eat! I was in NYC last month and having been up in Times Square for some unknown reason I decided to escape to the quiet of Brooklyn. A quick subway ride and I was slightly off the beaten track, eating a sandwich in the calm of Brooklyn's Whitman Park. Fantastic.

Been reliably informed by the missus that it wasn't Katz's we eat at, it was Eisenberg's. She remembers this because we were sat next to Matthew Modine, something else I'd forgotten! Got me thinking when people mentioned it was a tourist trap cos the place we eat at deffo wasn't. It was 5 years ago and my memory's not getting any better .... ;)

In any case, the sandwiches were excellent.

Cheers for all the tips guys. Now safely logged into my awesome google map / tripit combo (btw TripIt.com is a awesome website for managing your travel itinary).

Thankfully, a lot of your site seeing advice I was already following (although I do have tickets booked for the Empire State and kinda wished I hadn't bother, conversely I skipped the circle line cruise and I'm now considering it). I like walking, I walk LOTS on holiday and I'm used to long days, so one day I have a route planned that takes in both the Manhattan and Brookyln Bridges (yeah, I know Manhattan isn't the prettiest walk, but still), I'm watching the Knicks play at MSG (couldn't convince Jill to watch the Giants on the day we arrive, but we're watching Amir Khan in Vegas on her birthday, so I can't complain), no broadway show (hell, unless it was Avenue Q, Spamalot or Rocky Horror, I wouldn't go and see a show in Leeds or Manchester, so why would I pay silly money in NY), a day in central park planned, days planned that take in Top of The Rock, Grand Central, Union Square, and even though we're staying near Time Square (next do the "other" Cranberry) it looks like most of the recommended restaurants and bars are to the south (so many of the recommended bars are between 14th and Houston).

So, thanks again, I'll see you in 3 weeks :D

Cheers for all the tips guys. Now safely logged into my awesome google map / tripit combo (btw TripIt.com is a awesome website for managing your travel itinary).

Thankfully, a lot of your site seeing advice I was already following (although I do have tickets booked for the Empire State and kinda wished I hadn't bother, conversely I skipped the circle line cruise and I'm now considering it). I like walking, I walk LOTS on holiday and I'm used to long days, so one day I have a route planned that takes in both the Manhattan and Brookyln Bridges (yeah, I know Manhattan isn't the prettiest walk, but still), I'm watching the Knicks play at MSG (couldn't convince Jill to watch the Giants on the day we arrive, but we're watching Amir Khan in Vegas on her birthday, so I can't complain), no broadway show (hell, unless it was Avenue Q, Spamalot or Rocky Horror, I wouldn't go and see a show in Leeds or Manchester, so why would I pay silly money in NY), a day in central park planned, days planned that take in Top of The Rock, Grand Central, Union Square, and even though we're staying near Time Square (next do the "other" Cranberry) it looks like most of the recommended restaurants and bars are to the south (so many of the recommended bars are between 14th and Houston).

If your doing the Empire State pay the extra to take the elevator to the very top (the bit that King Kong was clinging on to). We did it at about nine o'clock in the evening, just after we arrived, and the queues weren't that bad ... and you get to see the street lights of Manhattan in all their glory.

The Circle Line last ages and it'll be BRUTALLY cold at this time of year. The Staten Island Ferry is just as good when you consider it's free. I would also recommend the Jewish Heritage Museum in Battery Park - very interesting.

As regards walking, New York is very easy to navigate but it's absolutely massive! Distances that seem easy and attainable on a map often turn out to be quite the opposite. The subway system is excellent (in spite of the rather confusing signage - just go with which ever train goes 'uptown' or 'downtown') so it's best to stick with that to travel any real distance.

The Circle Line last ages and it'll be BRUTALLY cold at this time of year. The Staten Island Ferry is just as good when you consider it's free. I would also recommend the Jewish Heritage Museum in Battery Park - very interesting.

As regards walking, New York is very easy to navigate but it's absolute massive! Distances that seem easy and attainable on a map often turn out to be quite the opposite. The subway system is excellent (in spite of the rather confusing signage - just go with which ever train goes 'uptown' or 'downtown') so it's best to stick with that to go any real distance.

That's good to hear, I have a day scheduled for doing Ellis Island/Battery Park/Wall Street/Statue of Liberty and a trip of the Staten Island Ferry.

I get how people could be fooled by the distances, but google maps used properly tells you how far (about 6 miles for my central park route, and my two bridges one it 7 miles), but I have planned fall back options for the subway if I feel lazy :)

The bronze charging bull at Bowling Green is worth a look. It's just up from Battery Park in the direction of Broadway.

The Statue of Liberty is incredibly boring. I really wouldn't bother. The best thing is to get your photos when you sail right past it on your way to Ellis Island (which is a remarkable place). Your ticket to Ellis Island includes Liberty Island but you don't have to get off there if you don't want to. Oh and book the tickets for that online. The queues, even in the winter, can be dreadful.

Now THAT is strange.

I was due to fly to Vegas from Gatwick on Wednesday morning, but our flight was cancelled due to the airport being shut for snow. We headed home and rebooked a flight to Newark at 8pm Weds night, then booked a connecting flight from JFK to Vegas for 6.15pm local time tonight. So I've just enjoyed an unexpected bonus night/day in Manhattan (stayed at Milford Plaza, wouldn't recommend it, went up Rockefeller for the 4th time, echo the recommendations there) and now I'm sat on a Delta flight to Vegas taking advantage of their free wifi. I'm in Vegas until next Wednesday when I'll be flying to Orlando until 14th.

If you like a good steak head to Angelo and Maxies on 19th. Best I've ever had.

Enjoy yourself!

Archived