BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New York/boston

The Four Seasons is my favourite New York restaurant.

The Museums of Art and Natural History are amazing. I could spend a week in each.

We found Ellis Island really creepy.

Statue of Liberty was fine to walk around. Didn't bother queuing to go inside.

Empire State - We went when it opened and there are no queues. I think our guide book said it opened at 8, but we went in at 7. Or was it 9 and 8? I'll check in a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now THAT is strange.

I was due to fly to Vegas from Gatwick on Wednesday morning, but our flight was cancelled due to the airport being shut for snow. We headed home and rebooked a flight to Newark at 8pm Weds night, then booked a connecting flight from JFK to Vegas for 6.15pm local time tonight. So I've just enjoyed an unexpected bonus night/day in Manhattan (stayed at Milford Plaza, wouldn't recommend it, went up Rockefeller for the 4th time, echo the recommendations there) and now I'm sat on a Delta flight to Vegas taking advantage of their free wifi. I'm in Vegas until next Wednesday when I'll be flying to Orlando until 14th.

If you like a good steak head to Angelo and Maxies on 19th. Best I've ever had.

Enjoy yourself!

Funny.... was just at Angelo/Maxies this past Monday 12.20 (that 's Park & 19th across from City Crab) -- We try to get there at least every 6 months... the ribeyes are brillant!

• 4 weeks later...

There are 12 of us, including the WAGs, flying to New York for 6 nights at the end of August for a mate's 40th. We have managed to get two apartments to accomodate us all in Little Italy.

Anybody any recommendations for food and drinks in the area?

We are about a 20 min walk away from Arlene's Grocery which has been recomended for it's Monday Night Rock Karaoke!

The restaurant food in Little Italy is middling. The eateries certainly look the part but the cuisine itself is nothing to write home about. It's a real tourist trap I'm afraid. Little Italy itself has been reduced to only a few streets unfortunately (although film buffs will happily recognise locations from The Godfather trilogy), with Chinatown now having consumed most of it. Little Italy is just the right side of grotty, Chinatown is the wrong side. Both places are pretty vibrant though.

Soho is only a few minutes walk north of Little Italy though and that's very smart. The Village is also within walking distance (north again) and very nice too.

Chelsea is a nicer area, but really theres nowhere in manhattan thats that bad anymore, at least south of 115th st. Chelsea has good access to a variety of trains as well. Also just so you know most of the bars in Chelsea are Gay bars because it is the largest gay neighborhood in NYC, so don't be too shocked if you and your mates get much better service than the WAGS.

• 2 weeks later...

Change of plans again, we have managed to find a place for all 12 of us at 433 East 85th Street which I believe is classed as the Upper East side.

We've managed to get a lovely place at a decent price in what seems to be a nice area, a little bit away from the tourist traps but still only 6 blocks away from Central Park and plenty of transport links.

The deposit has been paid, flights booked and really looking forward to it now.

As we are there from the 25th August for 6 nights has anybody got any recommendations for what we could do? I was thinking of some sports action but it appears the only option would be baseball and the Mets, Yankess are away that week, no Football played just yet and no basketball that I could see.

We plan on going to Arlenes Grocery for the live rock karaoke, some of the guys have been there before and say it is great, other than that we will be doing the usual touristy stuff.

Upper East Side is POSH.

Make sure you head to Serendipity on East 60th Street. Amazing desserts.

August is terrible for sports in the US (as it is here I suppose). I warn you that August in New York is broiling... :blink:

There's loads to do elsewhere of course. Just look back through some of the recommendations on this thread. If you want tickets for a Broadway show head to the tourist centre in Times Square where you can usually get them for a reasonable price since they sell day of performance tickets.

Change of plans again, we have managed to find a place for all 12 of us at 433 East 85th Street which I believe is classed as the Upper East side.

We've managed to get a lovely place at a decent price in what seems to be a nice area, a little bit away from the tourist traps but still only 6 blocks away from Central Park and plenty of transport links.

The deposit has been paid, flights booked and really looking forward to it now.

As we are there from the 25th August for 6 nights has anybody got any recommendations for what we could do? I was thinking of some sports action but it appears the only option would be baseball and the Mets, Yankess are away that week, no Football played just yet and no basketball that I could see.

We plan on going to Arlenes Grocery for the live rock karaoke, some of the guys have been there before and say it is great, other than that we will be doing the usual touristy stuff.

Actually, for the American football, if they aren't locked out due to labor issues, that time is preseason. You don't get the high quality game, but you see players working to make the team, and it is actually possible to get tickets at a semi-reasonable price.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived