BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] I Come In Peace! - Mark Hughes

toonfan

the fans being impatient is a myth, we've waited 50 years for a dmoestic cup and still turn up every week, if we were impatient we would have packed in years ago!

You do now, you didnt 20 years ago though, what was the average then? For a one club city with no competition remotely close? About 15k wasnt it?

Get 50k in the top flight, but about a third of that until you made it into the top flight in 93 wasnt it.....

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Many other current Premier League teams have been waiting years for silverware, I just don't understand why Newcastle think they have a god given right to be winning trophies and playing Champions League football. Having said that you won the Intertoto a couple of years ago didn't you?! :P

But will the fans give the new guy (whoever he is) time?

i thought i had just answered that myth in the post you replied to??

we clearly dont expect to win trophies do we? or if we do we must be the most patient demanders in the game as we still turn up after 50 years of nothing.

the chumps league thing is another myth as well, although, i think we have spent (net) 55 times what wenger has in the last 5 years, so it wouldnt be bad!

top 6 would be nice, we are in that group i feel capable of getting there.

top 4? no way

You do now, you didnt 20 years ago though, what was the average then? For a one club city with no competition remotely close? About 15k wasnt it?

Get 50k in the top flight, but about a third of that until you made it into the top flight in 93 wasnt it.....

with a ground half the size yes!

i see the abuse is about to begin!

cheers for the info those who answered properly!

i'll go back under my rock!

thanks!

Bullshite.

You can't come in peace and then poke and prod for info about the only consistent positive thing keeping the club in a better place.

Well, maybe you can but I don't like it.

To answer any and all questions you may have; MH is a better quality and higher class then the Magcocks ever deserve.

i thought i had just answered that myth in the post you replied to??

we clearly dont expect to win trophies do we? or if we do we must be the most patient demanders in the game as we still turn up after 50 years of nothing.

the chumps league thing is another myth as well, although, i think we have spent (net) 55 times what wenger has in the last 5 years, so it wouldnt be bad!

top 6 would be nice, we are in that group i feel capable of getting there.

top 4? no way

How can it be a myth when before your managers even have time to settle in they are booed and told " you dont know what yer doin" Souness and Big Fat Sam to name 2. Nothing other than impatience, they were written off before they'd even started.

with a ground half the size yes!

i see the abuse is about to begin!

cheers for the info those who answered properly!

i'll go back under my rock!

thanks!

The ground may well have been half the size, but to my knowledge, half of 52000 is not 15000.

It isnt abuse, if you have taken it as such then I apologise, it is simply a factual observation from a former resident of the North East.

The bottom line is, and this cannot be denied, Newcastle United acquired shed loads of fans when they gained top flight football in 1993. The ground had not been full for decades prior to that.

I can help more with your clubs history if you like?

I genuinely have no knowledge of this Stu, and Google isn't doing me any favours, so I may as well ask here; what were our attendances like in pre-Walker/Premiership days?

Absolutely dire, my first match had an attendance of circa 8000 back in 1986.

The difference being, we don't claim otherwise.

To answer you Toonfan, Hughes is very highly regarded as you can see by everyone's cut snake impersonations.

I actually think thet given the funds we COULD be challenging for top 4 positions regulary under Hughes, personally I don't think Newcastle have the squad to be able to do that so unless they are planning on shelling out Abramovich money in one year they will not get the immediate success they think they deserve under Hughes, Fat Sam or even Mourinho.

Just had an opportunity to view the post match interviews with Hughes and the BBC one was very very telling. Lets just say in my job for the Navy I am highly trained on body language (none of that looking down to the right nonsense though) his was of a man avoiding saying something at all costs. The biggest tell was when he went for the right side of his collar when asked about the Newcastle situation, when he was talking about how focused his whole staff was on the match.

If the board have not already been contacted about a package for him I will be very surprised, and I bet my house on the fact that Hughes knows it too. His refusal to meet the reporters eyes when asked if he is flattered about it says he wants it.

My only hope is that he realizes the risks involved. I want him to stay more than anything but even if he does go I will still like him.

Errr you may not want to go there Chuck

Yeah they were poor, but so was everyones attendances in the mid 1980s, football was in the gutter and didnt start to recover till after Italia 90.

Check the euro statistics site from the mid 80s, a lot of top flight clubs were only scrapping 10k average crowds. We shouldnt be so hard on ourselves, Blackburn Rovers have never been any worse than any other club, our crowds folowed the same trends as others- declined through the 80s, shot up through the 90s, held steady in the 2000s.

Yeah they were poor, but so was everyones attendances in the mid 1980s, football was in the gutter and didnt start to recover till after Italia 90.

Check the euro statistics site from the mid 80s, a lot of top flight clubs were only scrapping 10k average crowds. We shouldnt be so hard on ourselves, Blackburn Rovers have never been any worse than any other club, our crowds folowed the same trends as others- declined through the 80s, shot up through the 90s, held steady in the 2000s.

If Hughes leaves, will Roque follow?

The one thing you can be absolutely certain about is that Hughes will continue where Allardyce left off.

If Rovers had lost four on the bounce, the last being a 6 goal second half gubbing and were only 6 points ahead of 18th place, the press would be screaming about a relegation battle.

That is where Newcastle are now and that is how Hughes will see it.

Your football will be as black as your jersies for at least a year.

If Hughes leaves, will Roque follow?

How could he? They would need to make a very substantial bid to get to talk with him. Probably one of the worst things about losing your manager though, we'll have to read Bentley Toon In and Roque Rolling To Newcastle the next... well, probably for as long as they're still here and doing well.

It's the arrogance of Newcastle United, the fans and current chairman ( and the former incumbents) that gets to me. What is it that makes them think they can play this out in such a public manner? Either St James's Park has more moles than we can imagine or the Newcastle management think the best way to find a manger is to keep the speculation going until they find someone who won't turn them down.

Mark Hughes knows Rovers are a proper, in every sense, football club. Hughes is a proper individual, straight up and down, conducts himself well. I suspect he simply wouldn't feel comfortable with these people. He has a job to finish at Rovers and I believe he'll stay and finish it.

Of course the silence from the Blackburn board is deafening, when has it been the same? Williams, Finn etc al, and Hughes conduct their business in private. We all know this, it frustrates us sometimes but today is no different from other situation.

I think this whole "hands on" thing from Ashley could play well for Rovers. Its exactly what Hughes doesn't like. I would say its in the balance. Hughes will have a chat with Ashley and then make a decision.

Could easily go if Ashley makes the right defferent noises but given his character Im not sure about that.

What worries me about the Taylor article is that Hughes appears to already know Ashley from his times with Lonsdale as sponsors (I wonder if that might work against him as Lonsdale and Sportsworld did such a poor job?) and Hughes was apparently first choice.

And whats the deal with a Tottenham board member giving advice to the Chairman of Newcastle? Surely thats conflict of interest?

Why would you want to take Hughes?

Newcastle need managerial stability.....

If Hughes fails you'll sack him within 12 months

If Hughes is a success - he'll be off to United in 2 years.

It's a lose lose situation - bugger off and take someone else :)

Just to echo the above. Hughes is the wrong man for you. He has ZERO charisma. Nothing. He just mumbles his way through press conferences in some sort of Welsh dialect. Sure, you'd become very successful at football but Mark Hughes isn't what the "Geordie Nation" want.

No - you guys should definitely go for Keegan again. A proper Geordie from Doncaster. I can feel the utter emotion of it all from here.

Archived