BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] I Come In Peace! - Mark Hughes

toonfan

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone at Ewood knows Mark Hughes will be going on to bigger and better things at some point fairly soon. I just honestly don't believe that Newcastle would be that step up for him. Why risk going there and not doing well, when better options will be available somewhere down the line?

From an objective point of view, in terms of what is best for his career, Hughes would be well advised to continue the good work he's doing here until a job with a serious top club comes along.

My guess is a move to Newcastle would only be a stop over on the way to Man U and success would take him there all the quicker..

By the same token odds on failure (8 managers in 11 years) would blow his ambitions out of the water. Even his old boss at Man U said a few days ago that managing the Mags is a nigh on impossible job.

By the same token odds on failure (8 managers in 11 years) would blow his ambitions out of the water. Even his old boss at Man U said a few days ago that managing the Mags is a nigh on impossible job.

I wonder if he still speaks to Ferguson. He might be well advised to seek advice from him if he is offered the job.

A team to wallop Chelsea.

That little sentence confirms to me that as Fat Ashley sits in the stands at the games he has contracted the delusionary disease that the Barcodes have all caught in recent years.

There is NOT or NEVER going to be a time a Newcastle team will wallop a Chelsea team, There is not going to be a time when they give manure, Liverpoo or Arsenal a half decent game of football.

Fat Ash can spend 300m and he will not get what he wants.

our new owner has today promised to deliver entertaining/attacking football, and a team that will 'wallop chelsea',

Then he's a Dick

is hughes capable of playing attacking football?

Any manager is capable of playing attacking football but it's results that get you points and success, that's what you don't seem to be able to grasp up there.

whats he like in the transfer market?

Good at Rovers but the problem you have is that players sign for you for the money not to play football/win trophies/further thier career.

At least this seems to have been the case for the last 10 years or more.

I think Hughes is probably conflicted. I don't think its a certainty that he'll leave, but i'm pretty sure its an intriguing offer for him. Imagine this analogy: you've worked for a family run firm for a good 3-4 years now, and you know they treat you really well. You're popular in the firm, you make almost all the operating decisions, and you're well recognised in the industry for doing a great job. But the firm is small, and remains only a local firm, constrained by its locality. One day, a large firm comes calling, with much more funding, and much more potential for growth, and your task is to expand the this firm nationally, and possibly turn it into an MNC. However, a large firm being a large firm, you know you're bound to be constrained by a lot more bureaucracy. Your key performance indicator would be results, and you only have a very short time to acheive it. If you dont, you become another casualty. But if you do go and make a success of it, it would invariably increase your profile, and enhance your chance of landing the top job at the MNC you've always wanted to join.

So how? Do you leave and take on this challenge, knowing in mind what you are giving up? Or do you stay, and hold out for the top job at that MNC you've always wanted to join? Would you not be conflicted?

I think Hughes is probably conflicted. I don't think its a certainty that he'll leave, but i'm pretty sure its an intriguing offer for him. Imagine this analogy: you've worked for a family run firm for a good 3-4 years now, and you know they treat you really well. You're popular in the firm, you make almost all the operating decisions, and you're well recognised in the industry for doing a great job. But the firm is small, and remains only a local firm, constrained by its locality. One day, a large firm comes calling, with much more funding, and much more potential for growth, and your task is to expand the this firm nationally, and possibly turn it into an MNC. However, a large firm being a large firm, you know you're bound to be constrained by a lot more bureaucracy. Your key performance indicator would be results, and you only have a very short time to acheive it. If you dont, you become another casualty. But if you do go and make a success of it, it would invariably increase your profile, and enhance your chance of landing the top job at the MNC you've always wanted to join.

So how? Do you leave and take on this challenge, knowing in mind what you are giving up? Or do you stay, and hold out for the top job at that MNC you've always wanted to join? Would you not be conflicted?

Very good analogy. Realistically there are only about eight clubs which have the financial and supporter backing to be truely more desirable than being at Rovers. Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Manchester City, Newcastle, Everton and Aston Villa. Thankfully, due to implosions, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds - all formerly up there as huge teams - are not doing so well. What is annoying is that three clubs who used to be unattractive due to poor finances have turned it around- Man City, Everton and Aston Villa.

Sad thing is out of those eight clubs Newcastle is the only one one which looks like it could be availble to Hughes in the near future.

For me the only thing for Hughes to decide is if he thinks he can work with the board. I suspect he will feel that he can't, but I could easily be wrong.

The interview last night was telling, for sure. However could it not be interpreted that, in much the way it is suggested Redknapp has done already, that Hughes could use a Newcastle offer to further enhance his t's & c's at Ewood?

My other thought was that if he can turn it round again here after our dip and maintain for another year or two he'd be cast iron for United, whereas Newcastle now plus the sack in 12 months would change that. That said, he's an ambitious man, maybe he thinks he can negotiate breathing space to allow him a decent stint at turning the toon around, which would be a potential win-win situation

It is a very good analogy, and one I empathise with. Two things about the analogy; first of all we are talking football and it is very different from the real world. Secondly age is crucial in this situation. In the real world few people have made enough money by their early 40's to be able to take that risk while knowing they have enough money to live on if it all goes wrong. For most people the "what if" factor is a big one, it may be less so for a football manager.

Remember guys - it may be our passion, but it's their jobs. Just because he's well paid at Rovers (by most of our standards) doesn't mean to say he'd turn down the riches and potential job rewards on offer.

Simple fact of the matter - If hughes rates himself as a manager, then he probably won't care what's happened in the past. He'll be backing his own methods to succeed whatever club.

So if Newcastle offer to trebble his wages, and give him huge support in the transfer market to shape his own team - do you really think he'll care that much about the hassle that goes with the job? He's played for some of the biggest clubs in the world, so he knows how to handle pressure! Maybe at his life stage he is ready for it...

For the record - I'm praying that they go with a Shearer double act with Keegan or Venables to do the director of football role and help with tactics.

At first, people may scoff at this - but it could be one hell of a team. Hughes had his first club management job with us and look at him now. I know he managed Wales, but that's so different than managing a club. He was given time by the fans and the board - but then so would Shearer at Newcastle...

Coem on Ashley - give it to Al and Terry

I just hope he doesn't go because finding a manager to replace him under our current circumstances will be hard.

Very true. Just look at the journeyman Bolton have ended up with. When Allardyce went it was noted that an orderly queue would be forming outside the Reebok to apply for what was/is a top job. We're roughly on a par with Bolton, sizewise, potential etc, probably a bit bigger and the best they could get was that ginger fellow! :brfc::mellow:

It's the arrogance of Newcastle United, the fans and current chairman ( and the former incumbents) that gets to me. What is it that makes them think they can play this out in such a public manner? Either St James's Park has more moles than we can imagine or the Newcastle management think the best way to find a manger is to keep the speculation going until they find someone who won't turn them down.

Mark Hughes knows Rovers are a proper, in every sense, football club. Hughes is a proper individual, straight up and down, conducts himself well. I suspect he simply wouldn't feel comfortable with these people. He has a job to finish at Rovers and I believe he'll stay and finish it.

Of course the silence from the Blackburn board is deafening, when has it been the same? Williams, Finn etc al, and Hughes conduct their business in private. We all know this, it frustrates us sometimes but today is no different from other situation.

mr souness? is that you?

and we do?

52000 turning up every week doesnt read as 'and always have done'.

does it?

But the line in the Geordie Boot Boys song would suggest otherwise: "We are the loyalest football supporters, the world has ever had". Not true - 14k in Division Two puts pay to that theory.

toonfan,

How would it go down in newcastle if you got hughes and we then gave Shearer his first managerial job? Certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.

i honestly dont think it would be a problem.

why would it be?

i think people would fiond that most people in newcastle dont want shearer as the manager, and i don't think the board do either.

i know sky sports get interviews from people syaing 'shearer is the man like' and all that crap, but, do they expect to get inteeligent folk hanging around st james park at 1pm on a monday afternoon? only the mutants are around at that time, so you get a mutants opinion.

i also realise that the younger section of our fans like to give his name a good chant at games, but i dont believe this represents general opinion.

plus, he could cut his teeth on you lot and then jopin us once sparky goes to manure!

(joke)

But the line in the Geordie Boot Boys song would suggest otherwise: "We are the loyalest football supporters, the world has ever had". Not true - 14k in Division Two puts pay to that theory.

And if you are a Burnley fan surrender or you'll die

would YOU actualy kill them?

point is, football songs are football songs, not factual pieces of information.

they tend to include things that rhyme, not that would get in an encyclopedia.

Archived