BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Why Do We Have No Money

waggy

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:rover: Posted this on another thread and was not given a answer.

if finishing bottom off the premier is worth 30million this season,how come we havw no money? :brfcsmilie:

I don't know the figures but I'd imagine we've got a pretty hefty wage bill compared to what we bring in through gate receipts.

I'd rather be cautious than do a Leeds.

:rover: Posted this on another thread and was not given a answer.

if finishing bottom off the premier is worth 30million this season,how come we havw no money? :brfcsmilie:

Wages.

Plus poor attendence, low ticket prices and a crap club shop all limiting the amount of money coming in compared to our rivals.

The Premiership is very lucrative but it'also a very expensive league to compete in.

All will be revealed when I do the accounts review but there are two key factors.

1) Our gate and commercial revenue are simply uncompetitive even with fairly middling city clubs

2) As a result of that, Rovers started spending this season's windfall last season when players could still be picked up for "reasonable" fees and wages and the squad was deliberately broadened.

I agree waggy, i dont understand either.

Until this season, i thought we were operating at around level, with the funding of Uncle Jacks Trust?

Therefore now, with all the extra TV money which was supposed to be worth, £15 - £20 million more a year? Yes we spent £1 million of this seasons on lowering ticket prices, but You cant surely fob us off with wages as the reason? Or Have the wages jumped £15 million too?

TV money has jumped by alot, the club has had better attendances and in the summer we hardly spent anything.

I cant understand why the manager hasnt been given around £15 million to play with this season.

I agree waggy, i dont understand either.

Until this season, i thought we were operating at around level, with the funding of Uncle Jacks Trust?

Therefore now, with all the extra TV money which was supposed to be worth, £15 - £20 million more a year? Yes we spent £1 million of this seasons on lowering ticket prices, but You cant surely fob us off with wages as the reason? Or Have the wages jumped £15 million too?

TV money has jumped by alot, the club has had better attendances and in the summer we hardly spent anything.

I cant understand why the manager hasnt been given around £15 million to play with this season.

:rover: EXACTLY :brfcsmilie:

Year on year 3 million has been given to the club by the Walker's trust.

This year, due to us getting extra TV money, they stopped paying this as they did not see the need. So thats 3 million out of the extra cash.

On top of that we had no significant sales and 2 purchases (Cruz- 3.5 million, Rigters- 1m).

Plus Hughes, Samba, Bentley, Pedersen, Nelsen are all on bigger deals. (say all of them are on 10k extra a week, that equals about 2.6m a year). And Cruz will be on 50k + a week I am sure (another 2.6m).

1m was lost in Gate revenue.

All of that devours the TV money pretty quickly. Sad really.

I still think, before Savage's sale, we should have three or four million to spend. We just haven't seen anyone who Hughes thinks is worth the money yet.

Year on year 3 million has been given to the club by the Walker's trust.

This year, due to us getting extra TV money, they stopped paying this as they did not see the need. So thats 3 million out of the extra cash.

:rover: is this public knowledge :brfcsmilie:

Lets take gates:

Rovers get roughly £12 per head (following last season's price decreases) on gates of 23K on average 25 times a year.

That is a bit over £6m or roughly equal to the INCREASE in the club's wage bill over the past two seasons.

West Ham getting roughly £30 per head on gates of 33K again 25 times a year earn £25m through the gates or FOUR times more than the Rovers do.

The Walker Trust's £3m top up and £3m loan look a bit lost set against those numbers.

Even a £10m rise in TV income (if you take the certain part of it) is relatively small beer.

Then we are looking to compete with clubs like Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea who take in 3 home matches or less what Rovers earn in a complete season of gate revenues.

The Walker Trust's £3m top up and £3m loan look a bit lost set against those numbers.

Right, there's a substantial discrepancy here.

My understanding was that for the last four or five years the Trustees have donated an entirely discretionary 3m p.a. to the Club.

Some people on here are now saying that the Trustees have withdrawn their usual 3m p.a. because they feel no need to carry on doing so with the new TV money.

I can't actually see that being the case.

On the other hand philip claims they're donating 6m p.a. I think that's wrong as well.

Which is it?

Frankly if the Trustees have reduced their input to nil, they might as well leave now.

Right, there's a substantial discrepancy here.

My understanding was that for the last four or five years the Trustees have donated an entirely discretionary 3m p.a. to the Club.

Some people on here are now saying that the Trustees have withdrawn their usual 3m p.a. because they feel no need to carry on doing so with the new TV money.

I can't actually see that being the case.

On the other hand philip claims they're donating 6m p.a. I think that's wrong as well.

Which is it?

Frankly if the Trustees have reduced their input to nil, they might as well leave now.

Maybe I am wrong about this but I thought we had established that the 3m had been withdrawn this season as fact about a month ago on here using a statement from the club?

As for getting rid of them, I think we owe them a lot of money right? As loans over the years.

And as they are our owners it will be them who decide to get rid of us rather than the other way round.

over the last five years our total transfer activity according to a guardian table i saw earlier today put us bottom for spending, well i say spending, i mean we actually have a 5 year balance of +8m

I'm sure there was a similar table on here - that had us bottom - but it was incorrect by 10m. We were actually above Wigan (and maybe Arsenal) when our figures were correct.

I was asking myself the same question the other day. Why is it that we never have any money? Reading people's comments here certainly has made it clearer where the money that we receive goes. However taking into account that we don't make much through gate receipts or merchandise and the only money that comes into the club seems to be from the Walker Trust, Sky and the F.A (which is a massive amount) and any transfer money, it is tough to believe that after we pay the wages of everyone at the club, pay over heads at the stadium, training ground and youth team and other things like travel costs, that we are left with next to nothing to spend on players. It's sad if this is the case.

No

We are a well-run premier league club. We are not in Administration.

How about the players do the 'fundraising' and get us in the top 4 and the champions league which will generate our transfer kitty.

Couldnt hurt could it. I will do one myself and send the money order, even if I help pay for a fraction of the Axe's wages I will see that as an accomplishment and would make me feel better about having him.

Archived