BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Not The Middlesbrough Preview.

den

MOTM?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM?

• Friedel
    • Ooijer
    • Samba
    • Nelsen
    • Warnock
    • Betnley
    • Dunn
    • Reid
    • Pedersen
    • Roberts
    • Santa Cruz
    • Emerton
    • Derbyshire

Sorry guys, there's been a little complication with the 'Brough preview. If it arrives, then we'll merge it in here.

Anyhow, any predictions? IMO, 'Brough will be very difficult to beat. They seem to have been playing a little better recently, so I'll go 1-1.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2 things that spring to mind with Rovers v Boro is there are usually a few goals and it's been a while since they've had even a point off us (though I do remember that 4-0 where Downing and Mendieta tore us to shreds).

I reckon a bloody freezing afternoon but an open, entertaining game.

3-2 Rovers.

Simon

The 2 things that spring to mind with Rovers v Boro is there are usually a few goals and it's been a while since they've had even a point off us (though I do remember that 4-0 where Downing and Mendieta tore us to shreds).

I reckon a bloody freezing afternoon but an open, entertaining game.

3-2 Rovers.

Simon

9 degrees and damp is my prediction. Easier than guessing our results at present.

Just hope we can keep the run going.

Anything could happen. Villa, Brum and Everton have beaten this lot comfortably recently but they were very good value in beating Arsenal and unlucky to only draw against Liverpool.

Add the possibility Downing could be playing his last game for the smoggies and Alves his first.

Could be one of the more entertaining games of the season. Rovers to conceed first again but not have quite enough to get the win this time; 2-2

Been some good games at home to Boro over the last few years. The 2-2 on Boxing day was entertaining , with Marcus Babbel netting in injury time to earn a point whilst the Boro defence were confused by Brads appearance in their box!

0,,10303~326515,00.jpg

And the 3-2 win in Bellamy season, when the diminutive Welsh Gargoyle scored an unbelievable screamer to win it, then collapsed in tears was friggin magic. And with ten men after Robbies Red card.

0,,10303~2876718,00.jpg

And of course losing 0-4 at home in the early Hughes reign was unforgettable.

the players should be on a high after the last minute win against the wanky wanderes and the group huddle celebrations.

hopefully we will score the first goal for once and build from there, pedersen to net a goal is my tip at the bookies :)

any news on the fitness of emerton and tugay?

This is ALSO not the Middlesbrough preview, but I'm home ill today and have nothing better to do, so let's run the recent stats:

Premiership Form:

Rovers - LDWWW

Middlesbrough - LLWLD

Recent January Form:

2006/2007 Rovers WWLWL

2006/2007 Middlesbrough WWWD

2005/2006 Rovers WDL

2005/2006 Middlesbrough DLLW

Last 5 Premiership Results:

12/21/05 Middlesbrough 0 - 2 Blackburn

3/18/06 Blackburn 3 - 2 Middlesbrough

9/23/06 Middlesbrough 0 - 1 Blackburn

12/30/06 Blackburn 2 - 1 Middlesbrough

8/11/07 Middlesbrough 1 - 2 Blackburn

Injuries (from physioroom.com):

Middlesbrough

J Woodgate Hamstring Injury 19th Jan 08

S Hines Hamstring Injury 19th Jan 08

T McMahon Hamstring Injury 19th Jan 08

A Taylor Ankle/Foot Injury no return date

B Jones Thigh Muscle Strain no return date

Mido Osteitis Pubis 19th Jan 08

Blackburn

M Olsson Os Trigonum Syndrome 1st Mar 08

S Peter Thigh Muscle Strain 19th Jan 08

K Tugay Hamstring Injury 19th Jan 08

B Emerton Hamstring Injury no return date

Transfers (from ESPN Soccernet):

Blackburn

Mark King Blackburn Rovers Accrington Stanley Free

Peter Enckelman Blackburn Rovers Cardiff City Loan

Robbie Savage Blackburn Rovers Derby County £1,500,000

Middlesbrough

Andrew Davies Middlesbrough Southampton Undisclosed

Odds (from Bet24.com):

Well, someone else will have to interpret them, since I've never bet non-American football before, but a reading of the odds suggests that they think Rovers are the favorites given that 1-0 and 2-0 have better odds for Rovers than 0-0 or 1-1 or any scoring combo for Middlesbrough.

My Impression:

Middlesbrough are teetering on the edge of the 4 way fight for the last relegation slot. Stewart Downing is apparently interested in a transfer to Tottenham, which we can only pray goes through before Saturday as he is their most consistent player and is tied for most number of goals scored on the squad. As for transfers, Blackburn have obviously lost Savage, which may or may not be a good thing, but Boro have certainly lost less in Andrew Davies who only featured in 3 games, though he did score a goal. Both squads need this win badly. Rovers must continue their recent form in order to have any shot at the 4th or 5th slot while Boro desperately need to separate themselves from the bloodbath that surrounds the 4 clubs tied on 20 points. Blackburn also need this win for momentum, as the next 3 fixtures are Villa, Everton, and Arsenal. Boro get Mansfield in an FA Cup tie, then Wigan, Fulham, and Liverpool, so they won't have any desire to hold anything back here. Mido will likely play if he's even close to being fit.

We should pull out a win here. I would expect Hughes to start Roberts if only to give him some reward for his heroics last week, and possibly to up his sale value (though Hughes did deny Roberts' transfer request last month). Rovers are in dire need of midfield help, and so I imagine Hughes & Co. are desperately trying to finalize whatever deals are cooking to give the new lad some time against a squad that will be more forgiving of mistakes than our next 3. We're linked to moves for Cisse (and may I say WTF?), South African international and Djurgardens midfielder Lance Davids (much more likely, since it looks like he'd be available for 500k or so), and Amady Faye from Charlton (which seems very likely based on the rumors, but who knows).

...okay, so maybe it was an impromptu preview. Hope you enjoy, and sorry if I stepped on the toes of whoever was originally going to write it.

What now?

Olsson has Os Trigonum Syndrome and should return on March 1st.

Should you be interested in the particulars of it, it's a small loose bone in the foot found in between 5 and 15% of the population that can cause soft tissue inflammation in those who are physically active on their feet a lot. Most often seen in Ballet dancers, soccer players come a close second.

http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/ankle_a...rigonum_sum.php

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/footankles.../ostrigonum.htm

Should you be interested in the particulars of it, it's a small loose bone in the foot found in between 5 and 15% of the population that can cause soft tissue inflammation in those who are physically active on their feet a lot. Most often seen in Ballet dancers, soccer players come a close second.

Thanks- hope you are feeling better. Great contribution.

That looks like a 100% record for Rovers over the past 5 games- ominous!

So an Arsenal player would never get this problem, right?

:rolleyes:

Archived