BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keegan Newcastle Manager!

Division 2 February 15 1992 Home Newcastle United 3 1 Speedie 3

Premier League August 29 1993 Away Newcastle United 1 1 Shearer

Premier League February 19 1994 Home Newcastle United 1 0 May

Premier League October 9 1994 Away Newcastle United 1 1 Shearer(pen)

Premier League May 8 1995 Home Newcastle United 1 0 Shearer

Premier League November 8 1995 Away Newcastle United 0 1

Premier League April 8 1996 Home Newcastle United 2 1 Fenton 2

Premier League September 14 1996 Away Newcastle United 1 2 Sutton

Premier League December 26 1996 Home Newcastle United 1 0 Gallacher

Premier League September 15 2002 Away Manchester City 2 2 Thompson,Cole

Premier League March 1 2003 Home Manchester City 1 0 Dunn

Premier League August 25 2003 Home Manchester City 2 3 (og),Amoruso

Premier League January 17 2004 Away Manchester City 1 1 Flitcroft

Premier League November 13 2004 Away Manchester City 1 1 Dickov

This is our record again Keegan's teams. Won 6 Drawn 5 Lost 3

Not exactly quaking in me boots. But he did provide me with one of the funniest moments at Ewood in April 96, so good luck to him.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely.

I really cannot get on board with all the expressions of relief. Our problem has not gone away.

This whole sorry experience has left the club under no illusions whatsoever - if he gets the right offer, our manager will be gone. Sparky had a chance to publicly denounce the Newcastle proposition, pledge allegience to the club, and leave us looking a very steady ship to prospective signings and investors alike. As he refused to do so, we can now guarantee Mark Hughes will be installed as immediate favourite for every semi-high profile job that comes up between now and when he finally does one.

How as a club are we now expected to be able to convince good players to come and play for us? Likewise, how can JW be expected to convince our players to extend contracts/commit futures to this football club, knowing full well managerial upheaval could be right around the corner.

In my opinion Sparky failed us on this one - big time. It remains to be seen if we feel a lasting effect.

We don't even know if he was interviewed by Ashley. And we have known ever since Hughesy (or any manager in the living universe) came along that if the Man Utd job came along he would be off. Its not like he (or anyone) is tied to the club for life.

I would say Hughes will continue to do just fine.

A good appointment is when comparable clubs look on in jealousy and think just which clubs would have liked to appointed the new man. I for one cannot think of many top flight clubs who would have jumped at the chance of appointing KK.

Perhaps Fulham..., anybody else??

We don't even know if he was interviewed by Ashley. And we have known ever since Hughesy (or any manager in the living universe) came along that if the Man Utd job came along he would be off. Its not like he (or anyone) is tied to the club for life.

I would say Hughes will continue to do just fine.

Yes, we always knew he'd go to United if asked. What we didn't know, is that he'd also entertain offers from some of the Premierships lesser lights.

Yes, we always knew he'd go to United if asked. What we didn't know, is that he'd also entertain offers from some of the Premierships lesser lights.

Why does that make it any different, even if he would consider a move? He is a rational human being, he is not going to reject offers out of hand. He is going to evaluate them. It is foolish to not try and get the full infomation.

We shouldn't be looking to hold onto him through loyalty but by being an excellent club to manage. If he does well with us he will move on eventually, such is life in football. If he was doing rubbish we would all show our loyalty by booing him and hounding him out of the club.

Footabll fans only have loyalty to successful managers. Successful managers only have loyalty to successful clubs.

Why does that make it any different, even if he would consider a move? He is a rational human being, he is not going to reject offers out of hand. He is going to evaluate them. It is foolish to not try and get the full infomation.

We shouldn't be looking to hold onto him through loyalty but by being an excellent club to manage. If he does well with us he will move on eventually, such is life in football. If he was doing rubbish we would all show our loyalty by booing him and hounding him out of the club.

Footabll fans only have loyalty to successful managers. Successful managers only have loyalty to successful clubs.

All very logical and well put.

Unfortunately, the problem still exists. Portsmouth have come out of this looking more solid than ever. Blackburn Rovers have come out looking like easy pickings. The whole thing has been a PR disaster for the club.

• Backroom

Keegan's record at Newcastle and Fulham is fairly good, however, his record with England and Manchester City is not so good. (38% win rate at England, 43% win rate at Citeh, according to Wikipedia) so it's a huge, huge gamble to put him back in the hotseat, under huge pressure. Newcastle are not the club he was managing before, and I think he'll struggle. Still, he'll bring entertainment for sure.

It's nice that we've kept Hughes, and although it would have been nice for him to have committed himself to Rovers in a more confident manner, he praised our board, our team and our achievements whilst never actually ruling himself out. That doesn't make it okay, but we know he's not miserable here; he just thinks he could do better. Not sure what to make of that.

Anyhow, good luck to King Kev... he's going to need it :D

As far as Keegan is concerned it could be an absolutely inspired appointment by Ashley or if not it will probably be an absolute disaster.

There's no doubt Keegan will give the place an unbelievable lift and initially I think they'll thrive on a huge wave of enthusiasm. It only took them eight minutes to score tonight and by all accounts from the radio, players who hadn't done a thing all season were suddenly playing for their places.

Once that initial boost wears off, KK might be found wanting, we'll have to wait and see.

As for Sparky, I think we've been incredibly lucky this far to dodge four bullets. Citeh, Newcastle (twice) and Spurs haven't had the foresight to offer the respective positions to Sparky but he was at pains not to rule himself out of any of those jobs. It now seems quite clear that without a sea change in policy from the Trustees or new ownership, as soon as he is offered a reasonable position on his terms he'll be off.

And who can blame him for one second with owners who themselves want out and who have withdrawn transfer funding?

As for Sparky, I think we've been incredibly lucky this far to dodge four bullets. Citeh, Newcastle (twice) and Spurs haven't had the foresight to offer the respective positions to Sparky but he was at pains not to rule himself out of any of those jobs. It now seems quite clear that without a sea change in policy from the Trustees or new ownership, as soon as he is offered a reasonable position on his terms he'll be off.

And who can blame him for one second with owners who themselves want out and who have withdrawn transfer funding?

I think it's time to stop banging this particular drum Rev. At the moment you mention the JW Trust every second post - it's clear what you think.

Has it crossed your mind that Hughes never makes decisive comments either way in interviews regarding his career and ambitions? The only really telling evidence is the fact that he chose to sign a new deal at Rovers not 6 months ago.

And the fact that he hasn't simply walked away. If he is so disillusioned with his lot - as you keep suggesting he should be - he didn't need to sign the new deal, and could instantly make himself available for any job in Europe by walking out.

True. As Hughes says, he cannot keep pulling rabbits out of the hat. Job satisfaction will not last for much longer on such a minimal budget.

Hughes stated in an interview in the summer that his job satisfaction at Rovers is enhanced because he knows he's done well without throwing cash around like confetti.

IF Mark Hughes really wanted to be somewhere else other than Rovers, he wouldn't be at Rovers any more. Time to stop the wailing and get on with life - sticking to the formula which has worked so well.

The only really telling evidence is the fact that he chose to sign a new deal at Rovers not 6 months ago.

And the fact that he hasn't simply walked away.

No - one in their right mind is going to turn down a deal worth c 2m p.a. or simply walk away from it without any compensation either!

.Hughes stated in an interview in the summer that his job satisfaction at Rovers is enhanced because he knows he's done well without throwing cash around like confetti.

IF Mark Hughes really wanted to be somewhere else other than Rovers, he wouldn't be at Rovers any more. Time to stop the wailing and get on with life - sticking to the formula which has worked so well.

Exactly, he stated that in the summer (and after he signed his new deal). However, with other clubs investing more money, we will find it hard to compete, and could slip behind. Hughes said that himself last week.

I am sure he has enjoyed managing us so far.

The point I was making, is that his job satisfaction is unlikely to last much longer when there is no money to spend. Hughes spoke recently of his frustration about not being able to address weaknesses in our team, I think that says it all.

I think Rev is mentioning the Trust because our manager, who is not normally outspoken, called for more financial support in the transfer market.

No - one in their right mind is going to turn down a deal worth c 2m p.a. or simply walk away from it without any compensation either!

But your assertion that

as soon as he is offered a reasonable position on his terms he'll be off.
doesn't tally.

If he really wanted any of the "reasonable positions" which have been available recently - he could have made a bigger play for those positions. He's a go-getter not a "come and get me" type.

And the "reasonable positions" in scope include almost half of the Premier League clubs (including Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle), England, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Rangers, Bayern Munich and Valencia.

But he's still with Rovers - suggesting to me that he'll stick by the deal he signed. Whatever you might want to infer from his TV interviews is irrelevant - Hughes in front of the cameras is not the real deal.

For someone who is supposedly a shrewd operator I find this an astonishing appointment by Ashley. He has clearly gone for the sentiment vote and decided to appoint someone that will make him popular with the fans. Some of the comments by so called pundits on Match of the Day defied belief. I can accept Shearer being biaised but Hansen was equally embarrassing.

Did these people not watch England under Keegan or City for that matter? Football has moved on since Keegan was last succesful and it requires a bit more than a few motivating teamtalks and signing a few decent foreigners. Just bizarre really.

Manchester blue...."Football has moved on since Keegan was last succesful"

:blink: successful?? sorry, what did Keegan win again? :huh: A handfull of promotions at clubs where money was no object. I don`t think his managerial trophy cabinet overfloweth with 'proper' silverware.

The Geordie nation would kill for Blackburn`s success over the last 20-odd years.

oh well, let the geordies enjoy their momoent whle it lasts.

keegans like a messiah up there, :lol:

its like simon garner coming to manage us, wed be a bit excited whether keegan would do good or not i dont know. maybe he might because they might actually give a manager a chance this time :blink:

Judging from the scenes at St James Park I couldnt work out whether the barcodes were just pleased to see Keegan or had fully realised that he was there as a supposed permanent fixture. The bloke who couldnt win them anything, even with a 12 point head start, is back and theyre celebrating like theyve just got Mourinho with God as his assistant.

As for Rovers and Hughes, first thought is that its a massive relief. Second is that Hughes was just a couple of TV interviews away from being a Rovers hero. If he hadnt made it so damned obvious by the smirk on his face and total refusal to say 'I'm not interested, I'm staying at Rovers' we would be loving him now like Pompey are with Harry.

No he won't be the messiah but it is a gamble that could just could work to get Newcastle on the right path again.

If you look at his record in club management we have...

Newcastle - left them in a higher division

Fulham - left them in a higher division

Man City - left them in a higher division

At all three of course he spent a shedload of cash. It won't be too much of a problem finding that at Newcastle.

The odds are against Keegan doing anything too amazing but it at least she be far more amusing for the fans than the past few years of Souness, Roeder and Allardyce. Expect him to lead them to a better position than those as well but maybe not high enough to placate the Geordie Nation in the long run however,,,

Archived