BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ufc On Setanta

I have seen a bit of WEC, I believe it's owned and operated by the UFC? I saw Jens Pulver's last fight in its 145lb division, a very impressive quick submission win bouncing back from the loss to BJ Penn.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is actually talk of the UFC introducing a 145lb division (I believe it will be termed Featherweight) and they are using WEC as a testing ground to see if it gets over. With Pulver as the figurehead it no doubt will.

• 4 weeks later...
Can't wait for UFC 82 - Anderson Silva is a monster.

Did anyone see this last night? To call Anderson Silva a monster doesn't do him justice, the guy as close to unbeatable as I've ever seen. Despite a tough first round he absolutely owned Hendo in the second, the ease with which he sunk in the choke against a World Class wrestler was quite astonishing.

Problem is, there is now absolutely nobody for this guy to fight. Now that I've said that he'll lose to Yushin Okami next time out :lol:

Apparently Lesnar will be on the bill when UFC 85 comes to the UK in June this year. Not word on who he will fight yet, but I'd imagine Dana White and Joe Silva will be looking to feed him a striker/wrestler that more suits his style.

It was announced last night that Lesnar's next opponent will be Mark Coleman - a veteran wrestler who hasn't been in the octagon for a number of years. I believe Coleman lost to Fedor last time out - no shame there. Will be tough for Lesnar but I fancy him this time, this match up is far more up his street. The fight will be in August in Lesnar's hometown of Minnesota, so unfortunately he wont be on the bill in London in June.

I caught some of UFC82

I agree, the Silva fight was a good one & he showed just how good he is.

I`m in London to see the Foo Fighters at Wembley on June 6th. I might try to get tickets for the UFC at the O2 on June7th. Make a weekend of it. I doubt i`ll get them tho.....

• 1 month later...

UFC 83 is tonight (shown tomorrow night on Bravo - 9pm) - the main event being Georges St. Pierre vs Matt Serra for the Welterweight title. This will be very interesting, Serra knocked out St Pierre when they fought last year and has had to listen to "lucky punch" jibes ever since. The fight in is Montreal - GSP's home town - Serra will be right up against it in every way.

For UK fans, Michael Bisping is fighting Charles McCarthy (aka Captain Miserable) on the undercard, with the lad from Clitheroe looking to bounce back from his defeat to Rashad Evans last time out.

Should be interesting, as always!

What did you make of Kalib Starnes spending three rounds running away from Nate Quarry? That was the most bizarre performance I've ever seen. Surely they'll never put him on a UFC card again.

GSP looked impressive, but was that a verbal tapout from Serra? I thought the ref could have let it go on a bit longer.

It was very very strange. Starnes hasn't been the same since Yushin Okami handed him his first loss about 18 months ago, he's now lost 3 of his last 4 - the UFC would struggle to find a place for him now anyway, I don't think we'll see him again any time soon.

Serra was a ref stoppage - no verbal tapout - I must admit I thought it was a bit quick at first but having watched the replay and considered the fight as a whole, GSP was totally dominant and it was very unlikely Serra was getting out of that position. Serra is BJJ black belt and GSP completely overwhelmed him. I'd imagine Serra will now get to have the fight he's wanted for a while against Matt Hughes. GSP will likely have his first defense against Jon Fitch in the not too distant future.

I thought Bisping was superb, totally dominant and relentless, and he looks great at 185. Hope they don't feed him to Anderson too quickly.

That guy Bisping fought was a fool - I'm glad he took a hiding after all the monkey faces and taunting. Did you see any explanation of why he couldn't continue?

Maybe Bisping could have a crack at Rich Franklin. Anderson Silva is far too good, but I read some speculation about him maybe moving up to light heavyweight for his next challenge.

I heard that McCarthy broke his arm trying to defend against the knees. It certainly looked like he could have carried on, but I don't think he fancied it.

I wouldn't like to see Bisping fight Franklin just yet, thats a big fight in my opinion. If Wanderlei Silva moves down to MW after fighting Jardine (and I think he might) then Bisping against him would be incredible. I would also prefer to see Franklin against Henderson next. The 185 division isn't as bad as people think. Can't see Anderson going up yet, he'll fight Okami next and maybe Bisping will be ready for a crack soon after that.

• 2 months later...
Can't see Anderson going up yet, he'll fight Okami next and maybe Bisping will be ready for a crack soon after that.

Shows what I know - Anderson is going up to 205 to fight James Irvin on July 19 (live on Setanta). Big move by the UFC, putting on a show on the same night as Fedor vs Sylvia.

Anyone see 86 last night? Great main event. Im sure Rampage will get a rematch.

Shows what I know - Anderson is going up to 205 to fight James Irvin on July 19 (live on Setanta). Big move by the UFC, putting on a show on the same night as Fedor vs Sylvia.

I dont think he will be getting it yet, i think i read that Dana said the winner of Chuck/Evans at UFC 88 will be next in line for a title shot.

The Affliction show with Fedor vs Sylvia will definatly get hit with buyrates with UFC putting on a show for free the same night.

Just watched it this morning. Great result for Griffin but Rampage was very poor. Didn't think much of him in his one-punch win over Liddell, and the Henderson fight was pretty dull. Maybe he's just not that good.

The Josh Koscheck fight was pretty brutal. He practically drained Chris Lytle of blood but he still gets booed afterwards.

Do you know what channel the Fedor fight is televised on?

Just watched it this morning. Great result for Griffin but Rampage was very poor. Didn't think much of him in his one-punch win over Liddell, and the Henderson fight was pretty dull. Maybe he's just not that good.

The Josh Koscheck fight was pretty brutal. He practically drained Chris Lytle of blood but he still gets booed afterwards.

Do you know what channel the Fedor fight is televised on?

The main card wont be shown over here on TV i wouldnt have thought.

I think the prelim fights are being shown on TheFightNetwork (Sky 427) though.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone see the Anderson Silva fight and the Fedor-Sylvia show over the weekend then? I downloaded it yesterday - very impressive. Won't spoil the results, in case anyone's still waiting to watch it all, but it's definitely worth finding.

Anderson is a monster. The straight right that put Irvin down was a peach, he was never getting up from that.

Fedor was tremendous again, although I'm hardly Tim Sylvia's biggest fan. I'd very much like to see Fedor vs Arlovski next, although I'd fully expect Fedor to come out on top.

I don't think anyone can compete with Fedor. Certainly not Arlovski, who lost twice to Sylvia. Fedor would just twist one of his legs off. Maybe Randy would have a chance if it was in a cage and he could use his spoiling tactics, but Fedor is probably a better wrestler anyway.

I'd really like to see him fight Anderson at light heavyweight, but it looks like the Spider is dropping back down again to defend his title. Plus there's not much chance of Fedor signing one of the UFC's contracts.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone catch 87 last night?

GSP was very impressive and it looks like we might now get GSP - BJ Penn 2, which would be tremendous.

Brock Lesnar showed that he belongs in the world of MMA. Although it wasn't that exciting, he totally dominated a guy who has fought the current UFC champion more times than Brock has fought anyone. Heath Herring isn't a top 5 HW, but he's a serious fighter and he had nothing against Brock. Not to mention that huge bomb of a right hand that knocked Herring through a loop.

Can't wait to see who they give him next. It's hard to imagine anyone stuffing one of his takedowns, or being able to shake him off when he's in top position. Very impressive.

Very impressed by Lesnar. He's a gorilla of a man. I'd like to see him fight Kongo next - I absolutely hate Kongo, and it would be great to see that arrogant French bodybuilder getting Lesnarised.

GSP looked good, too. Hope he teaches BJ Penn a lesson - another fighter I really dislike.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone catch this weekend's show? Brutal, brutal KO of Chuck Liddell. That was so disappointing - he was such a good fighter a few years ago but it looks like he's been found out. Just stay out of his reach, make him frustrated and launch a big overhand when he comes steaming in with his hands down. Nobody needs to worry about takedowns or kicks from Chuck, even though he's supposed to be a decent wrestler and a kickboxing pro.

Chuck is a fantastic wrestler - it's just that he uses his wrestling to defend takedowns and keep it standing. I was shocked beyond belief that Rashad knocked him (the (Please don't use that word again)) out, but then after Gonzaga KO'd Cro Cop with a high kick I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by anything that happens in MMA.

Just going back to my post above for a moment - Lesnar's next opponent was confirmed at 88 - none other than Randy Couture. That one happens at 91 on November 15th - can't wait!

I hope Chuck doesn't fight again. Disappointing to see him go out like that, if it is his last fight, but it'll be worse if he gets a comeback against some bum and loses the same way. He had absolutely nothing to offer in the Evans fight, and he was just as crap against Jardine. Wanderlei was tailor made for him, as he's just as reckless, so that's three pastings in four fights,with opponents beating him at his counter-punching game. Learn some takedowns or retire, Chuck!

Lesnar - one win and a title shot! There will be some ###### off fighters in the UFC. Looking forward to it, though.

Through the Lesnar thing you've got to feel for Frank Mir. He beats Lesnar, gets to coach on TUF opposite Nog and seemingly a title shot along with it, then Randy comes back and Lesnar gets the shot. Apparently the winner of Lesnar/Couture will fight the winner of Mir/Nog to determine the undisputed champ. Atleast the heavyweight division is interesting for once, it's been the poor relation for a while now.

As far as Chuck goes, I'd like to see him come back and win, but I really wouldn't want to see him knocked out like that again. It would be terrible if he turned in to the aging ex Champ who loses to people that wouldn't have got near him in his prime. That's what Ken Shamrock is for.

Archived