BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ryan Nelsen

:rover: let's not rush the admiral back,get the guy 100% fit first sometimes i wonder weather the management and the fans watch the same game,we could all see ryan was struggling yet he was asked to play week in week out :brfcsmilie:

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:rover: let's not rush the admiral back,get the guy 100% fit first sometimes i wonder weather the management and the fans watch the same game,we could all see ryan was struggling yet he was asked to play week in week out :brfcsmilie:

True. it was bizarre. I think Hughes must have felt he had little choice as Ryan was the Captain and he said he was fit. And I think at the time Ooijer was out injured too.

True. it was bizarre. I think Hughes must have felt he had little choice as Ryan was the Captain and he said he was fit. And I think at the time Ooijer was out injured too.

:rover: it does not help when he kept saying he was fit when it was obvious he was not,then again he could have done a chris sutton and said he was injured all summer :brfcsmilie:

What's the bet he returns against Reading?

I hope he does, with samba suspended and henchoz still injured somebody needs to partner zurab at the back. any news if emerton will be fit for saturday's game or will he be out for a little longer as this would enable ooijer to go into the middle.

On a different note, did anyone see andy todd's blatant elbow against boro at the weekend! brought back a few memories - van persie anyone! ha

• 4 weeks later...
Nelsen is off to the Olympics by being one of three over 23 year olds allowed in the New Zealand Olympic team.

Not necessarily, as it is just a squad named at this stage. It includes 5 over-23 players, so there is cover for 2 withdrawls. Problem for Rovers is that games are in August (7th-23rd), and clash with start of the Premier League.

• 1 month later...

This is taken from a bottom of this article

Sunderland dump former NZ U-20 captain

Meanwhile, All Whites skipper Ryan Nelsen is no closer to knowing whether he will be released for the Olympics by his English Premiership club, Blackburn Rovers.

The situation has been clouded by an announcement yesterday that Blackburn manager Mark Hughes will take over at Manchester City, succeeding former England manager Sven Goran Eriksson.

Nelsen, who captains Blackburn Rovers, said today it was a delicate situation.

It was in the hands of Hughes whether or not he would be released.

"I am kind of a Blackburn asset and he (Hughes) doesn't have to release me - (the Olympics) is not a Fifa sanctioned tournament and he can say no," Nelsen, who is in New Zealand for a short break, told Radio Sport this morning.

Among Hughes' considerations would be his captain being away for a month and missing pre-season training, possibly the opening match of the 2008/09 season and could get injured at the Olympics.

New Zealand, grouped with China, Brazil and Belgium, will play their pool matches between August 7 and 13. The English Premier league kicks off on August 16.

New Zealand Football has until July 4 to confirm its team.

Nelsen said he could only wait for a decision.

"When the boss goes on holiday, you've got more chance of contacting the Pope than Mark Hughes at the moment."

• 4 weeks later...
He should not be club captain anymore.

What for missing pre-season to play in a big tournament for his country? who he is also captain of btw! :wacko:

Ince may change him anyway, he isn't the player he used to be injuries have played a massive role in that.

He should not be club captain anymore.

I personally don't see how he can be. He will miss a huge chunk of pre-season. I'd want my captain in there barking orders around keeping everyone on their toes.

Strange move by Nelsen and the club.

He has a new manager and he's choosing to not be part of the squad for pre-season to play in the...Olympics. Hardly a major footballing event now is it. How many on here can name the last two winners off the top of their heads? If these were world cup qualifiers or something significant I'd agree, but to play in the Olympics it's nonsense. I hope we don't pay his wages while he's there.

No sportsman worth his salt would turn down a chance to go to the Olympics. He will be eternally grateful to Rovers and playing competative football is the best way to come back match fit for the start of the season. Good decision Rovers.

Archived