BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ryan Nelsen

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooijer is not a first team regular though. Samba and Nelsen should be ahead of him.

Emerton might not be a first 11 either if rumours of a new RB are true.

I'd pick a CM myself. Then it depends on who Ince favours. Vogel? Has experience. Reid? Has been around for a while (though mostly in the treatment room!). Dunn? Local boy.

I'd probably have Brad as Vice though.

You could hear Brad's shouting over a jumbo taking off. He'd have no trouble ordering the strikers around! :)

I disagree, no matter how much he screams he can't communicate with the strikers and attacking midfielders well. They are too far away.

Whenever he's been captain the only shouting he has been doing is screaming at the defence to stop playing crap.

Nelsen may not be a first team regular. Friedel should be captain really. Been at the club for a long time, he obviously has a lot of respect within the squad, he does shout at the others regularly (as all keepers do). Who cares if he can't communicate with the strikers easily, how often does Nelsen say something to Benni or Santa Cruz? More importantly, Friedel almost always leads by example and will walk away from at least 30 of our games next season without having made a mistake. Can Nelsen say the same thing (he is Mr. Penalty).

Nelsen may not be a first team regular. Friedel should be captain really. Been at the club for a long time, he obviously has a lot of respect within the squad, he does shout at the others regularly (as all keepers do). Who cares if he can't communicate with the strikers easily, how often does Nelsen say something to Benni or Santa Cruz? More importantly, Friedel almost always leads by example and will walk away from at least 30 of our games next season without having made a mistake. Can Nelsen say the same thing (he is Mr. Penalty).

Completely agree.

Brad has to be captain for me. I'm a fan of giving goalkeepers the captaincy. They are the only player who has the whole game in front of them. They see everything as a whole.

Moreover Nelsen doesn't even deserve to start on the basis of last season.

Completely agree.

Brad has to be captain for me. I'm a fan of giving goalkeepers the captaincy. They are the only player who has the whole game in front of them. They see everything as a whole.

I'm not a fan of 'keepers being Capt. Players need to be talking to each other during the play, keepers can't do that. They can shout and bawl a bit, but they can't "communicate" at all.

Wrong. The last player on the pitch to be captain should be the goalkeeper.

I'm not a fan of 'keepers being Capt. Players need to be talking to each other during the play, keepers can't do that. They can shout and bawl a bit, but they can't "communicate" at all.

Exactly. I don't disagree with having Friedel as Captain as such, but a midfielder or defender can have more influence the play and motivate. Unfortunatley for Brad he's yards away in goal and hardly available to give Benni a kick up the backside.

However, Brad is more than able to sort out the back 4. Which is why I'd make him Vice.

Wrong. The last player on the pitch to be captain should be the goalkeeper.

I'd disagree with that. Spain providing a recent example of its success.

I also don't subscribe to the idea that a centre back or midfielder makes a better captain because they are in a better position to 'communicate' with the rest of their team.

Despite my preference of giving the captaincy to the keeper. It also has to be the best man for the job. In our case that has to be Brad. There is little debate on that point.

Completely agree.

Do you mean his bad patch in the middle when he played whilst injured? or after he rested and his injury cleared up when he improved a great deal? :rolleyes:

1] I'd disagree with that. Spain providing a recent example of its success.

2] I also don't subscribe to the idea that a centre back or midfielder makes a better captain because they are in a better position to 'communicate' with the rest of their team.

3] Despite my preference of giving the captaincy to the keeper. It also has to be the best man for the job. In our case that has to be Brad. There is little debate on that point.

1] All that Spain winning Euro 2008 proved, was that Spain were a darned good side. Absolutely nothing to do with captaincy.

2] They ARE in a better position to communicate, - fact. How for instance, can a goalkeeper organise his team at their own corner kick? How can he organise the front two, or the wingers?

3] How do you know Brad is the best man?

1] All that Spain winning Euro 2008 proved, was that Spain were a darned good side. Absolutely nothing to do with captaincy.

2] They ARE in a better position to communicate, - fact. How for instance, can a goalkeeper organise his team at their own corner kick? How can he organise the front two, or the wingers?

3] How do you know Brad is the best man?

1) Yes Spain are a darned good side. The goalkeeper and captain was a part of that. I don't believe for one minute that you think the captain of the European Champions has nothing to do with them being a top side.

2) I'm not sure the captain of any team has much to do with attacking corners.

I would say the role of the captain is more important when defending - making the goalkeeper a good choice as captain, for the reason I stated before; the game is played out in front of him.

3) I guess I can only comment from the outside looking in. Brad, to me, seems to command the respect and is the type of player/man that the players/fans would want to see as the captain of the team. I can't claim to know Brad or any of the players personally, but from what I can see there is nobody better suited.

So we'll agree to disagree on all three points?? :lol:

1) Yes Spain are a darned good side. The goalkeeper and captain was a part of that. I don't believe for one minute that you think the captain of the European Champions has nothing to do with them being a top side.

2) I'm not sure the captain of any team has much to do with attacking corners.

I would say the role of the captain is more important when defending - making the goalkeeper a good choice as captain, for the reason I stated before; the game is played out in front of him.

3) I guess I can only comment from the outside looking in. Brad, to me, seems to command the respect and is the type of player/man that the players/fans would want to see as the captain of the team. I can't claim to know Brad or any of the players personally, but from what I can see there is nobody better suited.

4] So we'll agree to disagree on all three points?? :lol:

1] Nothing to do with them being a top side at all. They would be a top side without a captain.

2] A good captain will have influence in all areas of the team.

3] So the answer to "How do you know Brad is the best man?" is, - you don't.

4] Completely. :)

A captain's influence is limited in football. They don't need the tactical knowledge of a cricket captain. A shouter and bawler like a Keane or Ince will always be like that regardless of whether they have the armband.

I think Brad as a sportsman and a gentleman would make a fitting Blackburn Rovers club captain.

SSN's just had a decent interview with the big man. He was basically saying what a great club it is and that a number of players have gone elsewhere and found that the grass isnt always greener. Usual stuff about it being important to keep our best players and also said it was good to freshen things up with the new manager. He does always seem to come across well on interviews to be fair to him.

SSN's just had a decent interview with the big man. He was basically saying what a great club it is and that a number of players have gone elsewhere and found that the grass isnt always greener. Usual stuff about it being important to keep our best players and also said it was good to freshen things up with the new manager. He does always seem to come across well on interviews to be fair to him.

Was that Nelsen or Brad? sorry to sound confused but although this is Nelsen's thread, people were discussing Brad.

Archived