• Ooijer
    • Warnock
    • Betnley
    • Reid
    • Dunn
    • Pedersen
    • Santa Cruz
    • Derbyshire

Surely it would be better for all concerned if part of the training sessions were devoted to finding out who the really good penalty takers are. Then having established that much, the management should ask for the names of volunteers from amongst those "approved" to take a penalty before each match. Then there is no argument, as all the players go onto the pitch knowing who will take the first penalty awarded to Rovers in that game.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surely it would be better for all concerned if part of the training sessions were devoted to finding out who the really good penalty takers are. Then having established that much, the management should ask for the names of volunteers from amongst those "approved" to take a penalty before each match. Then there is no argument, as all the players go onto the pitch knowing who will take the first penalty awarded to Rovers in that game.

Fife-how do you know that is not the case now?

Anybody see the trouble out side the Holte Pub before the game.?

Went of big time apparently.

We walked past just as a woman launched a brick into a group of fans. From what i could tell she was a villa fan and the fans who were slowed down by the police were singing villa songs. It's disgraceful but not unexpected in those parts. The villa fan we spoke to after said it was the first time he had brought his son to villa park and he might not again.

Anyway i thought the game was pretty good from our point of view. We played very well and Warnock was superb.

Shame about their goal as i don't think it was a free kick and brad messed up big time. Villa are good enough at set pieces without wandering off halfway through a free kick.

We walked past just as a woman launched a brick into a group of fans. From what i could tell she was a villa fan and the fans who were slowed down by the police were singing villa songs. It's disgraceful but not unexpected in those parts. The villa fan we spoke to after said it was the first time he had brought his son to villa park and he might not again.

Sounds about right, theyve done it twice before when i have been on the coach

When derbyshire took the penalty and seen it saved, he followed up for the rebound and got totally wiped out by a villa defender.

instead of another pen, the ref gave a free kick to villa. how did derbyshire commit a foul?

I thought the same too, he rugby tackled him from behind

I think Villa Park is old and dated, and the seats for away fans are even worse than before. Yes they are a club on the up, but they still had plenty of empty seats, particularly across from the away fans in the top tier. Went to a local pub before the game, £2 just to get in!! Cheeky – but at least it was full of Rovers!

As for the game we could and should of won. In my opinion Derbyshire should not of started the game and he is not good enough yet to be carrying the line for an entire game. He always grabs the ball to take the penalty and no matter what anyone else says he takes it. He is always arguing over the ball, and surely that cant be good for confidence if your about to step up and take it? I think he is getting abit too big headed, especially when you have players with the ability of Cruz, Dunn, Reid or Bentley who would all take a better penalty. He wants to knuckle down, build up and improve on his strength.

Overall we played much improved and we looked so much more solid with the dodgy Nelsen. Ooijer is once again showing why Hughes took him at 30/31 years old, looking very solid!

Thought Reid was unlucky with the free-kick as Agbonlahor went down very very cheaply! Yes the free-kick was well hit, but Friedel should never of been beaten at the side he was defending! He got sold by the dummy which was a shame! He isn’t the MR Invincible he once was unfortunately, 2 years ago he would of saved any free-kick!

The Run by Dunn was good to set up the goal and I thought Dunn, Reid, Warnock & Cruz were all top notch. Good following from the Rovers and it was a good day out!

Thought Reid was unlucky with the free-kick as Agbonlahor went down very very cheaply! Yes the free-kick was well hit, but Friedel should never of been beaten at the side he was defending! He got sold by the dummy which was a shame! He isn’t the MR Invincible he once was unfortunately, 2 years ago he would of saved any free-kick!

He's always been suspect on those types of free kicks, he always takes a step the wrong way and then gets beaten.

When derbyshire took the penalty and seen it saved, he followed up for the rebound and got totally wiped out by a villa defender.

instead of another pen, the ref gave a free kick to villa. how did derbyshire commit a foul?

He didn't - the ref gave it for a foul by Pedersen, deemed to have pushed the Villa player who then fell all over Derbyshire. It's debateable whether there was a foul but it would be hard to say that the Villa player deliberately wiped out Derbyshire.

But not this season.

But he has scored 9 goals this season, for than Roberts and Derbyshire combined have (6goals).

Like it or lump it , he is class. Give him a 5 game run in the side and stop slagging him off. Against Bolton he looked sharp and alert, then he gets dropped. Id moan if i was in his shoes.

But he has scored 9 goals this season, for than Roberts and Derbyshire combined have (6goals).

Like it or lump it , he is class. Give him a 5 game run in the side and stop slagging him off. Against Bolton he looked sharp and alert, then he gets dropped. Id moan if i was in his shoes.

I think we can all agree to disagree on all three strikers and come to the conclusion that neither really fully satisfies by saying anyone of them should be automatic starters in the team quite like Roque Santa Cruz is.

Mark Hughes needs someone better ..must admit thats easier said than done.

I think we can all agree to disagree on all three strikers and come to the conclusion that neither really fully satisfies by saying anyone of them should be automatic starters in the team quite like Roque Santa Cruz is.

Mark Hughes needs someone better ..must admit thats easier said than done.

Benni is certainly good enough. The big question is: Is he motivated enough?

Archived