BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Defending Corners & Set Pieces

Can ANYONE explain to me why we pull EVERYONE back for the above mentioned? It's complete madness, the best sides are a threat on the counter and use their front men to pull people out of the box, you leave 3 up front, they have to leave 4 etc.

Staggering to see this EVERY week (Is it just me?)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great point.

Not only that, you need an 'outlet' to buy some time while you clear your lines. If there's no outlet, the ball will just come back in.

Can't understand it, and Sparky does allude to the fact that he considers us to be a counter attacking team. Well if we are we're the slowest I've ever seen.

There should always be 2 men on the half way line and 1 on the edge of our box, that way it stops 4 of theres going into the box.

But opens up a lot of space for the attacking side. Why give them the space? The main job is to stop them scoring, whatever that may take.

We started doing this when Shearer arrived.

He had a great ability to clear corners at the near post.

We seem to have done that ever since.

Also though, on occasion, Shearer would stay on the half-way line, but go over to near the touchline on the side the corner was being taken. This had the effect that a player (or 2!) had to go over to mark him and another had to come out to cover the centre of the pitch.

But opens up a lot of space for the attacking side. Why give them the space? The main job is to stop them scoring, whatever that may take.

The only problem is if you win the ball then you have to just play it forward randomly with no hope of keeping the ball. At least if you have 1 player forward it gives the chance of stopping them playing it straight back in.

Can ANYONE explain to me why we pull EVERYONE back for the above mentioned? It's complete madness, the best sides are a threat on the counter and use their front men to pull people out of the box, you leave 3 up front, they have to leave 4 etc.

Staggering to see this EVERY week (Is it just me?)

No not just you, something I have mentioned previously and it does my head in as well

We put ourselves under so much pressure its ridiculous, including the fact that we seem unable to actuall clear a ball effectively.

However, its not just defending them - attacking wise we are also poor - how many did Bentley get is the same position on Saturday 6 / 7? - all taken the same way with no change and none anywhere near to being threatening.

Back to the question again of what they actually do in training? :wacko:

The only problem is if you win the ball then you have to just play it forward randomly with no hope of keeping the ball. At least if you have 1 player forward it gives the chance of stopping them playing it straight back in.

The coaches would still put denying space to the opposition as being the most important thing. We aren't the only team doing this.

The coaches would still put denying space to the opposition as being the most important thing. We aren't the only team doing this.

I know and it definitely has it's advantages. Villa did it for years and my mate used to rant about it down the pub every week. Now they have Young and Gabi, they put one or both of them forward and cause defenders real problems.

I think that there's a case for RSC to stay forward when we defend set pieces. With his ability to hold up the ball we'd have a great outlet for taking the pressure off and an excellent chance of a springboard for a counter attack (or we would have if we had any quick players...) He also looks decidedly nervous when he's back there IMO.

I think that there's a case for RSC to stay forward when we defend set pieces. With his ability to hold up the ball we'd have a great outlet for taking the pressure off and an excellent chance of a springboard for a counter attack (or we would have if we had any quick players...) He also looks decidedly nervous when he's back there IMO.

RSC makes some great clearances. Seriously, people would increase the risk of conceding, just so's there's an outlet up front? We aren't going to score a breakaway from a corner, with RSC left on the half way line, on his own - are we.

hrmm... we aren't defending corners well, probably because the guys sending in the corners in practice are Bentley and MGP, and we see how poor their corners are in match situations.... Hard to get in good practice defending when the keeper and the first man are the only ones made to work.

Lack of communication at corners and set pieces.as a captain nelsen doesnt talk much to his fellow defenders.i would stil like to see that captains arm band around friedel's arm.a stalwart in our team,experienced and tough.

It's a problem for Rovers, these set-piece thingies.

We do need to stop giving away free-kicks around the box, that definitely doesn't help.

Disappointed to see how the skipper is performing at the moment, he looks a little slow to keep up with his opponent, Wheater took a metre out of him by the time the ball arrived. Then again I'm also concerned on Brad - he rarely comes out and there seems to be a lack of clear communications.

Bet there is only one topic in training this week for the defence!

As for our set-pieces - that will come back, have patience.

I always find we defend too deep at free kicks. Next time Rovers are on, just watch how far back we actually go and the danger it puts us in.

How it is:

howitison2.th.jpg

2 in the wall, the rest scattered in the box, deep in our own area.

How it should be according to Tim Southampton Rovers ultimate defending at free kicks idea:

howitshouldbelb6.th.jpg

2 in the wall, the rest of the team right behind them. If they put a long ball in, Friedel claims it. If they put a short ball in, it will still be outside our area.

Sign me up Blackburn. :lol:

P.S - The first is an official photograph taken at Ewood Park in the last game against Boro. The second is a made up photo. Good huh!

We have a ch of 6'5" who unfortunately cannot jump and head a ball......prob cos he has never had to. Unfortunately Villa have one about the same size who can. :unsure:

Timing to take a header on the running jump for max height is a difficult skill. One that I never possessed unfortunately but I played alongside a ch who was about the best in the NW outside the football league, he won just about everything in the air despite being only about 5ft 10".

Archived