BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Defending Corners & Set Pieces

Ths is a set piece issue and it probably doesn't deserve a new thread, so I'll bung it in here.

Why do we take quick free kicks when there is absolutely no advantage to it? I don't mind the odd quick one (Oo-er) to mix it up but use a brain!

Why do we take the aforesaid quick free kick about 15 yards behind where the foul occurred?

Bloody annoying!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But opens up a lot of space for the attacking side. Why give them the space? The main job is to stop them scoring, whatever that may take.

If we were doing that Den i'd agree, but we clearly aren't. I said on Saturday we must be the worst team in the league for defending & attacking set pieces. Boro missed a sitter at the end which would have been yet another set piece goal, meanwhile we had Bentley giving Schwarzer catching practice for 90 minutes.

I find it so frustrating as it is the one area that an organised team can really be effective. You can't turn average players into world beaters, but you would think with a practice you could teach them a few set pieces. Evidently not.

But opens up a lot of space for the attacking side. Why give them the space? The main job is to stop them scoring, whatever that may take.

If we leave 2 men up, and 1 on edge of the box. That will stop a total of 5 of there players (inc keeper) going into the box. Thats 8 against 6!!! We should be able to defend that!

The one thing I like best about our strategi is when we kick-off from the half-way line. I just love the way we give the ball straight away with a long kick out to a throw-in for the oposition.

PS: Please spare me for the "its a good move to apply pressure from the start...etc"

It allows more SPACE for the attacking side Hughesy. That's an advantage to them..

Why? It's exactly the same for both sides isn't it?

I too can't see the argument against leaving two players up, it gives you a viable outlet if you gain possession and the opposition have to leave three outfield players back.

The only thing against it is if you want to put a man on each post etc it leaves you short of manpower.

Why? It's exactly the same for both sides isn't it?

No, it's an advantage - and a big advantage - to the attackers. They are the first to make a run and the defender has to try to stay with him. The more space in the penalty area, the easier for the forward to amke monements.

No, it's an advantage - and a big advantage - to the attackers. They are the first to make a run and the defender has to try to stay with him. The more space in the penalty area, the easier for the forward to amke monements.

Agree, and an other point for not doing this, it will be easier for the officials to see all the shirt-holding going on, which could lead to even more penalties given against us...

And if you are defending properly shoudl be able to mark them adequately to either ensure they don't get the ball ie defender wins the ball or do enough so they do not get the contact they need.

If we left just x1 further up the field , I guarantee the opposition would leave at least x2 marking him

As I said before too many cooks.... and we have already seem the repercussions of it with our own players getting in each others way as well as the ball continuously finding it is way back into the area with our less than effective clearance of the ball.

Vice versa up front .... nobody seems to know who is going for a ball or who should be doing what - which results in nobody doing anything bar standing and shouting at each other most of the time.

The one thing I like best about our strategi is when we kick-off from the half-way line. I just love the way we give the ball straight away with a long kick out to a throw-in for the oposition.

PS: Please spare me for the "its a good move to apply pressure from the start...etc"

every game isn't it!

i think it worked once when pedersen scored.

why don't we just knock the ball back and give some players a nice easy first touch and keep possession is beyond me.

every game isn't it!

why don't we just knock the ball back and give some players a nice easy first touch and keep possession is beyond me.

I know, and its embarrassing to watch. Strangly noone seems to be commenting on it..

We're getting worse at defending set pieces, it's not like we don't get enough practice, we give loads of daft free kicks away.

We need to leave one player up on the half way line, most teams won't risk one marker so more often than not they'll have two men on our one. Take away the player actually taking the corner and that can give us a two man advantage, I'm sure the likes of Derbyshire would be more use on the half way line than in our box.

I like Brad but he must be the worlds worst at coming off his line, nobody but nobody should be heading in un-opposed on our six yard line !

I,ve asked it before but why does Nelsen go up for our corners ? Has he ever looked like scoring ? What usually happens is we hit the first man with the ball with all our defenders up-field, the opposition clears it downfield and they are at our throat in the blink of an eye.

every game isn't it!

England used to do it as well which worked okay because they didn't have the multi-ball system so by the time we hoofed it up there, we could run up there and be around the penalty area however nowadays as soon as the ball goes out, another ball is given to the player straight away, which means we don't always get up the field to apply the pressure. So pretty pointless!

Which strives to the issue that you must win the first ball and if not ensure you definitely win the second ball - the second ball being something we are absolutely shocking at all over the pitch - never mind just defending.

It might be useful for Liverpool , but certainly doesn't work for us

No the problem is that we seem to Zonal Mark, which doesnt work. You need to man mark, with 1 spare man looking to clear the ball (Samba or Cruz would be the best).

We should be looking to win the ball, ignore the opposition runs, go for the ball!! If the biggest men we have go for the ball, then they should clear it.

No the problem is that we seem to Zonal Mark, which doesnt work. You need to man mark, with 1 spare man looking to clear the ball (Samba or Cruz would be the best).

We should be looking to win the ball, ignore the opposition runs, go for the ball!! If the biggest men we have go for the ball, then they should clear it.

So in other words, you are advocating zonal marking.

No i think we should man mark, except for our best header of the ball who should just look for the ball.

But then what happens when he is not able to get past the crowd of players in his way to get to the ball? If we are to man mark, shouldn't our best header be marking theirs?

But then what happens when he is not able to get past the crowd of players in his way to get to the ball?

That's easy to solve. Have 8 players on the half way line with the result of creating space in the box. No-one will get in his way then...

:rolleyes:

Who organises the attacking players out of the way? <_<

I know Samba is big, and I'd prefer not to fall out with him, but I don't think I'd let him tell me where to stand if I was playing against him... :)

Presumably you mean the opposition attackers here and not our own in our box.

Should be upto the keeper to sort out the box from set pieces .. IMO anyway, - he has the oversee and should know what he feels comfortable about with what he can or is confident he can do and what he can actually see/have view off

This is nothing new in my eyes - this was my response to a post from Scotty last April after we had played Watford.

CAPT KAYOS

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Posts Posted on: Apr 18 2007, 08:49

Champions League

Group: Members

Member No.: 103

Only grumble - why the hell again when 2-0 up did we go all defensive for 10 mins as it invited trouble and of course conceded a goal and why do we not leave anybody on the halfway line now when defending corners etc.

And for the attacking sense re our game against Bayern

CAPT KAYOS

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Posts Posted on: Feb 14 2007, 11:06

Champions League

Group: Members

Member No.: 103

Yet again - WTF where our corners about?

What it also showed imo again last night, just how laborious we are attacking and flat footed we are to the second ball and anticipating crosses etc.

Surely its not just me who has noticed this, and not just recently

No i think we should man mark, except for our best header of the ball who should just look for the ball.

Thats how I'd do it too. It worked OK at amateur level, whether it would at top level I don't know. Samba should mark no one but just win the ball.

Incidentally I'd like to see Samba mix it up in the opposition area a bit by occasionally standing slap bang in front of their keeper for inswinging corners from Bents and Ped. If he jumped as the kick was taken the keeper would only see the ball for about the last 15 yards of its travel. For corners and free kicks we are just so predicatable.

Archived