BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Worrying Trend

waggy

:rover: News that nelsen has been playing through injury,playing badly by his high standards this season,similar last season when halfway through the season it was announced mgp had been playing with cracked ribs,and not setting the grass on fire i would like to ask

WHY ARE WE DOING THIS :brfcsmilie:

Because we don't have a big enough squad. Our backline has taken a bit of a beating over the past year with various injuries and suspensions and with Nelsen being our captain and probably our best defender when fully fit (if he can recapture the form), then I'm sure the management think he is worth playing whenever possible. On top of that, he's recovering from a serious injury, so to a certain extent small niggles are to be expected and really he'll have to play through them in order to recover, obviously it has become too serious for that and now he needs rest. As for MGP, we don't really have a replacement. I'd rather see MGP at 10% than Dunn playing on the left.

Steffen Iversen, ex- Spurs and Wolves forward, reopened his career path when he returned from England to Norway a few years ago. He was a really good prospect when he signed for Spurs (aged 20sh) but has had more injuries than anyone I can remember. He then returned home, after a few years playing with niggling injuries in England, and I don't think he has been injured since. At this point (30sh) he's no longer quick enough to merit a place in a Premier League team. He is still playing, and making a mark on, Champions League football though.

:rover: ZURAB HAS BEEN AVAILABLE ALL SEASON :brfcsmilie:

Yes but that misses the bit about Nelson coming back from serious injury, and having to play through minor niggles if he is ever to get back to where he was. This time it has turned out to be more than a minor niggle, so he won't be playing for a while and Zurab might get a game (although I'd prefer Ooijer next to Samba).

certainly this is nothing new. It happens in all sports all the time. Your highest paid and highest skilled players will take the field whenever they are able. Would you want them any other way? If the reverse had been true, Nelsen in decent form saying, "ohh, my hammy feels a bit tight, I'm going to not play for a few weeks to be safe..." He'd get slaughtered, and rightly so.

For example, using a yank sport from last week, sorry. In the NFL championship (think FA Cup Semifinal) the san deigo chargers had a few injury issues. The running back, arguably the best at his position in the league, had a knee issue. He played about 5 snaps atthe beginning of the game (like 1/10th of the offensive snaps in the game) and felt like his knee wasn't 100% (even though he looked okay), and then sat on the sidelines the rest of the game doing nothing. Meanwhile their quarterback had surgery on his knee on a monday to completely detach the ligament so it wouldn't tear any more, get more aggrivated and would cause him less pain, just so he could play, knowing that mean a longer surgery to repair and re-attach the ligament after the season was over.... Yes they purposely damaged his knee more on Monday so that it would be less painful just so he could play on Sunday.

which guy do you want on the team?

certainly this is nothing new. It happens in all sports all the time. Your highest paid and highest skilled players will take the field whenever they are able. Would you want them any other way? If the reverse had been true, Nelsen in decent form saying, "ohh, my hammy feels a bit tight, I'm going to not play for a few weeks to be safe..." He'd get slaughtered, and rightly so.

This is the core mentality in the US, and for what it's worth I think it is wrong.

I rem Dickov playing for weeks whilst obviously suffering a groin injury. We still got rid asap after we had signed Benni (I think). Not much mercy in football is there?

He left well before we got Benni, well i say well before but it was a good month or so.

I thought it was his choice to leave us because he wanted to go to Man City?

Thats another one to add to the strange goings on this season at Ewood, he doesnt play all season but then ends up in negotations for a new contract and gets one. ODD!

Agreed - Assuming Zurab is on say £10k per week, this latest contract extension will gross him over £1.5 million for basically not doing much at all. :o

For example, using a yank sport from last week, sorry. In the NFL championship (think FA Cup Semifinal) the san deigo chargers had a few injury issues. The running back, arguably the best at his position in the league, had a knee issue. He played about 5 snaps atthe beginning of the game (like 1/10th of the offensive snaps in the game) and felt like his knee wasn't 100% (even though he looked okay), and then sat on the sidelines the rest of the game doing nothing. Meanwhile their quarterback had surgery on his knee on a monday to completely detach the ligament so it wouldn't tear any more, get more aggrivated and would cause him less pain, just so he could play, knowing that mean a longer surgery to repair and re-attach the ligament after the season was over.... Yes they purposely damaged his knee more on Monday so that it would be less painful just so he could play on Sunday.

which guy do you want on the team?

Bearing in mind Rivers was awful as he couldn't plant his feet, and Tomlinson plays a position where his knee needs to feel 100% to be effective.

He left well before we got Benni, well i say well before but it was a good month or so.

I thought it was his choice to leave us because he wanted to go to Man City?

Must have gone to finance Roberts wages then mark. I guess he had been told that the writing was on the wall for him here. Who knows he might have been offered a financial incentive to leave quickly and without fuss so as not to hinder the Mido / Benni bids?

I rem Dickov playing for weeks whilst obviously suffering a groin injury. We still got rid asap after we had signed Benni (I think). Not much mercy in football is there?

We were right to get rid though, I don't think he's scored a goal since he left us.

This is the core mentality in the US, and for what it's worth I think it is wrong.

This coming from someone in Norway? In truth there are players in ALL sports that are like this. The majority of players in the sports here in the US will play games even though they are injured and that's a fact. Many players will get cortizone shot to kill the pain in there knees shoulders and backs just to get 1 or 2 more games in. What I think is wrong is you assuming that because one person decideds to sit out of a game dosent mean that this is the norm here in the states.

Archived