BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

click for Hi-Life

I had Hi-life about 6 years ago.

If it's still the same, there's varying types of offer depending on the restaurant.

Some of the good places excluded popular times e.g.Saturday evenings.

Also, many places only allow you one visit per annum but others didn't bother.

There's an offer in the free MEN at the moment. Collect 2 tokens, send them off to Hi-Life and they'll send you a Hi-Life card that's valid until the end of January FREE!

If can't get the MEN then PM me and I'll pick some tokens up and post them to you. The tokens finish this week, though, so you'll have to be quick!

Edited by DanLad

Went to the Al Nawaz in Manchester's Curry Mile yesterday and it was excellent. The decor is interesting, not least the big fish tank in the floor by the entrance, it's a strange feeling walking over that. It only came to £54 for 6 of us, although that didn't include drinks as we took our own in. Can't fault it really, the service, food and price were all great.

Think I'll be trying Nando's for the first time later on. Really looking forward to the refillable Coca-Cola as I've got a stinking hangover.

Edited by LeChuck

Went to the Al Nawaz in Manchester's Curry Mile yesterday and it was excellent. The decor is interesting, not least the big fish tank in the floor by the entrance, it's a strange feeling walking over that. It only came to £54 for 6 of us, although that didn't include drinks as we took our own in. Can't fault it really, the service, food and price were all great.

Think I'll be trying Nando's for the first time later on. Really looking forward to the refillable Coca-Cola as I've got a stinking hangover.

I think Coke's a diuretic. It might just dehydrate you more...

That said the sugar would help, and Stephen Fry said that the dehydration theory of drinking caffeine was garbage on QI. So what do I know!?!

I've heard Nando's is bad, but I've only heard one review!

Edited by DanLad

Restaurant called Matthew's Bistro in Ambleside, Lake District - excellent food at reasonable prices. Service was fast, ambiance wasn't too formal (just right for us) - £35 for the two of us (3 courses from a set menu). Worth a punt if that's your budget!

Aye I went there the other day with my missus. Absolutely awesome!! 3 courses for £15!! I currently live in Ambleside as I'm a student at uni there. Zefferelis is excellent also, vegetarian place but amazing. Dodds is a nice Italian restaurant and reasonable pricing.

All the Lucy places are expensive but Lucy 4's which is a Tapas place is very good food and atmosphere. Lucy on a Plate I think the service is rubbish there. The Priest Hole is also very good.

Anyone ever in Ambleside give us a shout!!

I'll give you a wave when I'm on the train that passes through there...best I can do I'm afraid.

Out of interest, why did you choose Ambelside uni? Just seems like you'll miss out on a lot of things (clubs, gigs, events) that you'd associate with being a student.

Was up at the Pack Horse, Belthorn again on Wednesday night for the midweek special. It's £20.95 per couple now but the menu has been extended slightly. Starter, main course, with either coffee or ice cream to finish and includes a smallish jug of wine which gets you about two glasses each. Very good value and the main thing is the food, as always, is excellent.

And no, I'm not on commission. :mellow:

Well if we're doing butchers now (well meat suppliers) I can recommend Spout House Farm in Higher Wheelton. On the left as you drive from Blackburn. Open Friday, Saturday, Sunday 11.00 to 4.00pm. Superb home grown meat, nice cheeses, nice people and great cakes (made by a local lady). I think they are looking to expand if the refurbisment of a lrage barn is anything to go by. We no longer buy meat products in supermarkets, everything is at Spout House, ten times the quality and the same price if not cheaper than Tesco.

Gave this a whirl today Paul, seems a nice place. They didn't have what I wanted for today unfortunately but I got some lamb anyway for a hotpot during the week, and it was very good value. Local lamb is obviously their strength, so will keep that in mind.

I'll give you a wave when I'm on the train that passes through there...best I can do I'm afraid.

Out of interest, why did you choose Ambelside uni? Just seems like you'll miss out on a lot of things (clubs, gigs, events) that you'd associate with being a student.

It has a good reputation for teacher training and I wasn't too fussed about the nightlife a lot. But we do have some top quality nights here with what we've got. For a small place there are a fair few pubs also

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
- Bella Italia, Deansgate and Picadilly gardens: Nice food and decent prices.

Finally got round to eating here (PD one) last week and was pretty good. I had a spicy pumpkin soup for starter which was absolutely delicious, but the mains (we split a Caprese pizza and spinach & ricotta cannelloni) were a little disappointing, although the cheesy garlic bread side was excellent. The atmosphere was good though, busy but not-to-busy, and the service was very good. Can't say it did enough to guarantee I'll go there again, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

Having just returned from the local chippy though, I can honestly say that sometimes even restaurants can't compare to a big plate of chips and mushy peas. :)

Finally got the Clog and Billycock today. Food good, atmosphere good and no music so we could talk!! Great wine list. Thought the menu a little limited and things I'd half expected to see weren't there but all said extremely good value for money. Went by tandem, great fun getting there, much tougher getting home again!!

Finally got the Clog and Billycock today. Food good, atmosphere good and no music so we could talk!! Great wine list. Thought the menu a little limited and things I'd half expected to see weren't there but all said extremely good value for money. Went by tandem, great fun getting there, much tougher getting home again!!

T' Clog must be the mboard favourite. I saw ES was in there recently. And Clog blue was in at 7ish. I went there at 9.00pm just for a few pints of Wainrights and a chat with numerous and varied aquaintances who had all been dining. If you'd been a bit later Paul I'd have stood you a pint or three and you could have ditched the bike.

Edited by thenodrog

T' Clog must be the mboard favourite.

Called at Clog Monday teatime but too early for food.

Carried on to.....

Coach & Horses, Bolton-by-Bowland.

It's now finished being done up.

Only had a beer and a butty which was good. Restaurant and menu look very nice indeed.

Anyone been?

Called at Clog Monday teatime but too early for food.

Carried on to.....

Coach & Horses, Bolton-by-Bowland.

It's now finished being done up.

Only had a beer and a butty which was good. Restaurant and menu look very nice indeed.

Anyone been?

Crikey you passed a lot of places to eat en route!