BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Gave El Rincon another whirl last night after watching Lancashire destroy Yorkshire at Old Trafford ... once again couldn't be faulted. Very busy for a Tuesday evening after a bank holiday! Really good value as well (8 tapas dishes and a decent bottle of wine, enough change from 50 quid to leave a tip). We just perched at the bar - a really nice informal way to eat tapas ... apparently next to some geezer off Coronation Street, but for all I know about soaps it could have been someone off Sesame Street.

I went in there a while back on a bit of a do from work, we were in there for the afternoon on the tapas and red wine, I hear it is frequented by a lot of the Corrie stars and a few footballers like it.

It was my first taste of tapas and I must say I was very impressed. El Rincon has a great atmosphere too.

Went to The Sparling on Garstang Road in Barton the other week. It's a gastropub with an astonishingly cheap weekday menu - Mon - Thursday 3 courses for 7.99. Delicious fresh prepared food that you'd be hard pushed to get for less than at least double that elsewhere.

I went to The Sparling yesterday for lunch. Brilliant food, I only had a burger but it was huge and it came with chips and bits of salad also. Very good food and great atmosphere as well.

Do you know if there's a menu online for El Rincon, Tris? Googled but can't find anything. I keep meaning to go to a good tapas bar and I still haven't got round to it - being a non-meat eater I must research places in advance though.

Do you know if there's a menu online for El Rincon, Tris? Googled but can't find anything. I keep meaning to go to a good tapas bar and I still haven't got round to it - being a non-meat eater I must research places in advance though.

I don't think there's a website ... seems to be quite a word of mouth sort of place.

But you're in no danger, my wife is vegetarian (+ no fish) and El Rincon = absolutely not a problem. Quite the opposite.

Not really for this thread but I can't think where else to put it. I got a mailing from Northcote Manor the other day with some lunch offers and there is a location map which shows everywhere within 30 miles but completely misses Burnley - hats off to Nigel!

Have always been a Great British Menu fan and think I was one of the few in the stadium, when we played Portsmouth, who knew who he was when he came on to do the draw! Absolutely delighted he got a dish through - he deserved it after 3 top 3 finishes - and what a dish; Lancashire Hotpot!!

Got us a little bit of PR, and the guy comes across as a really genuinely nice bloke (together with Glyn Purnell and Danny Miller)!

• Backroom

I finally got to the Clog and Billycock today, 6 of us went and all loved it.

I had the devilled chicken and the wife the cheese and onion pie, both great.

And the bottles of saspirella are a nice bonus.

Will go again for sure.

We had lunch at the Inn at Whitewell yesterday. Obviously it's a fabulous location, and the food was very good as you'd expect. The only possible downside is that some of the patrons seem to think they deserve priority service due to the fact they've got a Jag / TVR / Range Rover in the car park. This may have been accentuated yesterday as there was a wedding taking place at 4pm.

But the food is good enough to block out any downside. Certainly not overpriced either.

We had lunch at the Inn at Whitewell yesterday. Obviously it's a fabulous location, and the food was very good as you'd expect. The only possible downside is that some of the patrons seem to think they deserve priority service due to the fact they've got a Jag / TVR / Range Rover in the car park. This may have been accentuated yesterday as there was a wedding taking place at 4pm.

But the food is good enough to block out any downside. Certainly not overpriced either.

Used to be a favourite courting spot of mine tris. Sadly far too many years ago. The Inn is full of charm that has allowed it to rise above the country pub drink driving malaise that has seen off so many other isolated rural establishments. Book in there for a meal and overnight stay with a new gf and the knicker elastic would loosen as soon as they saw the place..... I am told. ;)

Edited by thenodrog

Tris Im a bit biased as I lived in Whitewell for 5 years, so knew the Inn in its old days and was even there when during a storm the kitchen subsided and collapsed into the river. My brother had his 21st there and I had my wedding there in the church next door and reception in the dining room, 6 years ago before the recent refurb, so the place holds many a memory for me

Personally think its great and a majical spot to rival anything the Yorkshire Dales can throw at us

Tris Im a bit biased as I lived in Whitewell for 5 years, so knew the Inn in its old days and was even there when during a storm the kitchen subsided and collapsed into the river. My brother had his 21st there and I had my wedding there in the church next door and reception in the dining room, 6 years ago before the recent refurb, so the place holds many a memory for me

Personally think its great and a majical spot to rival anything the Yorkshire Dales can throw at us

Or the Lakes even.

Mrs CLB and I organise a Ribble Valley pub crawl with a coach each summer. This year's route :-

Quick pint in Darwen - Bonny Inn, Salesbury - Shireburn Arms, Eagle & Child, Bayleys Arms, all Hurst Green - Red Pump, Bashall Eaves - Parkers Arms, Newton in Bowland - Higher Buck, Waddington Arms, Lower Buck, all Waddington. Evening meal in Waddington.

Vary the route each year, so in the past have visited - Sun Inn, Tillotson Arms, both Chipping - Hark to Bounty, Slaidburn - Moorcock, Waddington Fell - Aspinall Arms, Three Fishes, both Mitton - the four pubs in centre of Whalley -

There's half a dozen from Manchester usually and they can't believe the scenery and beauty of the area.

Nice!

Edited by Claytons Left Boot

Mrs CLB and I organise a Ribble Valley pub crawl with a coach each summer. This year's route :-

Quick pint in Darwen - Bonny Inn, Salesbury - Shireburn Arms, Eagle & Child, Bayleys Arms, all Hurst Green - Red Pump, Bashall Eaves - Parkers Arms, Newton in Bowland - Higher Buck, Waddington Arms, Lower Buck, all Waddington. Evening meal in Waddington.

Vary the route each year, so in the past have visited - Sun Inn, Tillotson Arms, both Chipping - Hark to Bounty, Slaidburn - Moorcock, Waddington Fell - Aspinall Arms, Three Fishes, both Mitton - the four pubs in centre of Whalley -

There's half a dozen from Manchester usually and they can't believe the scenery and beauty of the area.

Nice!

Sounds like a good day out. Good chance to try the Bowland Brewery beers too.

btw for a cheap sesh try the Blackburn Brewery Co at Feni. Dont know if it's still the same but they used to do an 'all you can drink' night for a tenner. Bit laddish and not really for the ladies of course but who cares?

Mrs CLB and I organise a Ribble Valley pub crawl with a coach each summer.

Nice!

That sounds brilliant! What a cracking idea. The "New Inn" at Clitheroe may well fit in quite nicely.

Nice!

CLB proud to say been in every one of those pubs many times being brought up in the Ribble valley, you may wish to do Lower Buck and Waddington Arms in Waddinton rather than the Higher Buck!!

Re your pre Trip, between 1975 and 1990 the talbot was the number 1 pub in Chipping, but once Wilf and Marie left the Sun took over

Enjoy

Edited by berkshireblue

CLB proud to say been in every one of those pubs many times being brought up in the Ribble valley, you may wish to do Lower Buck and Waddington Arms in Waddinton rather than the Higher Buck!!

Re your pre Trip, between 1975 and 1990 the talbot was the number 1 pub in Chipping, but once Wilf and Marie left the Sun took over

Enjoy

Thanks bb, we have up to now always finished in Waddington and as you imply the other two pubs there are preferable to the Higher Buck. There are 30 odd of us so we just wander around and choose to eat in any of the three.

Col - which is the New Inn? I worked in Clitheroe in the mid 90s but can't remember where it is!

Col - which is the New Inn? I worked in Clitheroe in the mid 90s but can't remember where it is!

If you were up on the Castle and looked north, towards the church, it would be as good as down below.

Or in driving in a car terms, ignore the bypass and come in through Whalley & Barrow. Straight on at the "Brown Cow" roundabout. Up the hill. Get to the top and turn left. It's a few metres on the right as you go downhilll with the castle on your left.

The last time I went on a mini crawl around Clitheroe it was just about the only one that didn't have a disco on. I think it's still a decent pub.

• Backroom

To be honest I always think the 3.50 carvery at Old Mother Redcap is half decent for a quick cheap fix. It is what it is and does that job ok.

To be honest I always think the 3.50 carvery at Old Mother Redcap is half decent for a quick cheap fix. It is what it is and does that job ok.

OT, I know, but did you know that the OMR is in Rishton, technically?

• 2 weeks later...
Just been for lunch at The Olive Press in Bolton. It is part of Heathcotes. Lovely food, excellent sevice, really enjoyed it!

Even better - Mum paid!!!

Best of the bunch in no particular order:

{...}

Olive press Bolton

Stopped in Bolton at the Olive Press last night on the way to Manchester Apollo. Taking advantage of the current pre-7pm 50% off main course offer.

Have to agree, the service and staff attitude can't be faulted - lovely dedicated people - they all made you feel more than welcome in their restaurant. They even chalked a garlic bread off the bill because it took 6 minutes to arrive (we only ordered the thing after our mains had been served) :wacko: Would have been happy to pay for it.

Food was fine, but not brilliant. If the 50% offer hadn't been on, I think I'd have been mildly annoyed. Plates had greasy finger marks on them, and we were served a Peroni in a dirty glass - again ignored / forgiven because of the price, and the friendly staff.

Starter, substantial mains, side order, beer, sparkling water (I was driving :o ) for 9 quid each. On our way to a gig. McDonalds drive-thru would have been 5 quid each. For the pre-7pm deal and the great staff = 8/10 from me.