BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

The Continental in Preston is worth a visit. It's on the north bank of the River Ribble adjacent Miller Park and the railway. Good garden and walks along the Ribble. From Penwortham cross the Ribble, turn right or from Preston railway station go down Fishergate Hill and left before crossing the Ribble, then follow signs to BAC Sports & Social Club if travelling by car, or walk along the riverbank.

Edited by MCMC1875

I cannot believe that this little gem of a restaurant hasn't been recommended by anyone yet in this thread:-

http://www.lalocanda.co.uk/

It's just as you are leaving Gisburn on the A59 on the right of the mini roundabout.

I have been twice now and both times I have come away very impressed, it walks all over Checcos, I think Nick hasn't been on the ball there for a good few years since Marco etc left the kitchens, the food not being either great or outstanding, average at best (sorry Nick)...

Lalocanda's uses all locally sourced produce and the Italian ingredients are sourced from their native areas, the difference is apparent in the quality of the food served, I have never had such full flavoured vegetables etc, the service is of a high standard and the wine list is varied both in selection and prices and you can walk into the area where the wines are stored to look at them prior to selection, the restaurant itself is small but not uncomfortably so, having two levels.

Oh and don't expect any pizzas or garlic breads on the menu as it is purely authentic traditional Italian fare.

p.s. Theno (and others) the Clakky (as us Harwooders call it) did have the eating area shut for a while so it was no go on sitting in and Taxing Dave (aka Memoryman) on doing a massive order.

No worries, let me know how you get on. Like I said, I've not been to any of them, it's just word of mouth from a Yorkshirite....

Went to Cellar V in the end was at the bottom of her road and right. Was ok, not brilliant not poor. Although think it was the friday we had a take out from the spice inn and wow that was good.

Not Local, but I visited The Ubiquitus Chip, in Glasgow's West End last week. Winner of Scotland's Good Food Guide restaurant of the year award, I have to say it was very average. I had the haggis, neeps and tatties starters, which was OK, but very bland. Then a fillet steak, which was rather tasteless for the price charged.

The service was sniffy and brusque, and atmosphere stilted. And this was on a Friday evening, 7.30pm!

£105 for three people-deserves better for me. Anyone else been lately?

Not Local, but I visited The Ubiquitus Chip, in Glasgow's West End last week.

I've had many good nights here but haven't been for many years. We used to have a lot of business in Scotland which required regular visits to customers. When we were in the central belt I always tried to stay at a nice B&B in the West End and then go to The Chip. This is probably 7-8 years ago, it was very good then. There were also plenty of other good places in the same general area, in fact I can't recall a bad night. Disappointing to hear it's perhaps not what it was.

For £105 I'd expect a damn good meal.

Edited by Paul

I can strongly recommend this place in Glasgow ...

Sa Marina

It's south of the river, so a 3 quid taxi from the more central areas, but the food is truly stunning, and the service the total opposite to what you describe at the Ubiquitous Chip Oz - a real family business.

Also a good reminder that appearances can be deceptive - if you drove past it I guess you wouldn't even look twice!!

Google Earth streetview

Closer to home, ate at the Clog last night, and was a bit disappointed. Not with the food which remains very good, but more with the service.

We ordered drinks to have while we were choosing what to eat, and were told they'd bring the drinks over. However they took so long, that we ordered food and wine, and ended up having the pre-meal beer show up at the same time as the starters and the wine :angry2: It wasn't a round of cocktails either - it was a pint, a half and a bottle of juice!

Also there was a simple change requested to a main course side dish which they happily said was fine when the order was taken, but they then got totally wrong - no problem with honest mistakes but I do have a problem when they didn't want to correct the mistake without an argument. To be fair the offending dish was removed from the bill but that's not the point.

I wonder if Nige has overstretched his best staff by opening the Bull at Broughton, or has cut numbers during the week to keep costs down. Whatever, he needs to be careful, because as good as the food remains, it isn't cheap and people will soon go elsewhere if RVI don't retain the highest standards we have come to expect.

We travel down from Barrow-In-Furness every home game and usually stop for something to eat on the way! been going to Guy's quite a bit lately and the Windmill on the way in! just wondered if anyone reccomends anywhere else to eat on a matchday that is on the way?

Edited by M2XLY

I can strongly recommend this place in Glasgow ...

Closer to home, ate at the Clog last night, and was a bit disappointed. Not with the food which remains very good, but more with the service.

I sussed the reason for this last year Tris when I swopped homes for 5 days with my sister. I went to her house between Beaconsfield and Higher Wycombe and she came here. Er indoors and I dined out every night down there and most lunches and found the service to be generally poor. When I phoned home r'kid had been to the Clog and said the service there was awful too. Anyway.......... It's university time isn't it! All the A level lot who have been working in the restaurants clear off to uni and the badly trained freshers from the Lower V1 intake move in.

btw It's the reason imo BUT it should never be used as an excuse. Just like cooking the secrets in the preparation.

Edited by thenodrog

JJ's in Colne is very good - nice food, reasonably priced (about £25 per head) and you have the table for the evening if you want it as he does not over book. If you go. I really recommend the duck as well as the fish dishes. The vibe is very relaxed and not at all stuffy.

I'm off to Sam's Chop House today.

Not sure if I've mentioned it before. Consistently superb.

Corned beef hash my fave.

.Had a wander in there last night just for a beer though

Looks ok, said we might try it in future. £3.15 for a pint of bitter :o whats the world coming to.

Crikey you were quick off the mark!

I must say I sneaked in late on for a quick peek and a problem as with all these Thwaites bars (Mytton Hall and 3 Fishes etc) is that the brewery appears to be attempting to force the dreadful Warsteiner into the pumps that should /used to be occupied by Carlsberg Export, (Carling not really being an option). It's plain that Carlsberg Export costs the brewery a lot more and therefore less profitable but Warsteiner is poor and isn't even classed as lager it's a bloody beer. On the plus side they have Wainwrights on.

Rum do this. I had a bit of business to see to in Gisburn so me 'n er indoors lunched today at the Bull at Broughton. Just sandwich, chips and cos it was lunchtime a pint of Wainwrights (the best chips in Christendom imo and just about the best bitter too) but I noticed that they had Pilsner Urquell and Peroni on draught! What gives? Favouritism for the tykes? There's one or two on here would have this down as racism I can tell you. Truth is I mentioned the lack of a quality lager in the Ribble Valley Inns to the chief cook at Langho one day and he said that their bar manager couldn't understand my point about quality lager. Seems like he's learning.

Edited by thenodrog

Anyone want to recommend any restaurants in New York?

Yes please - don't miss this absolute gem, 5 mins from Penn station / Madison Square Gardens

Wonjo - oriental - never shuts

If it's a bit earlier, head over to East Village - Sunburnt Cow Endless Brunch for $18 ... no further explanation required

Mooooooooooooo

Check out the great work Jay is doing to set up a Rovers community in NYC. You'll never get better advice than from the locals who love the best city in the world, and the best football club in the world :P .

edit - how could I forget Life Cafe - in case the Sunburnt Cow is closed ...

Edited by Tris