BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

The Philharmonic in Liverpool is worth a visit.

Not a bit stringy?

Gives you wind?

The chairs are really comfortable, but they have a strict seating policy? One per cushion...

Don't they advertise having a world famous boiler? They let a kettle drum up business...

Sorry!

• Like 1

Well if we're doing butchers now (well meat suppliers) I can recommend Spout House Farm in Higher Wheelton. On the left as you drive from Blackburn. Open Friday, Saturday, Sunday 11.00 to 4.00pm. Superb home grown meat, nice cheeses, nice people and great cakes (made by a local lady). I think they are looking to expand if the refurbisment of a lrage barn is anything to go by. We no longer buy meat products in supermarkets, everything is at Spout House, ten times the quality and the same price if not cheaper than Tesco.

Finally called in today Paul. A proper shop. I drive past lots of times but never seem to do so on a Fri or at weekend. I bought a big lump of lamb fillet for Sunday and a bigger lump of beef brisket for midweek. Just over £13 the pair.... not very dear at all for quality home reared meat imo.

• Like 1

From their site....

Steak & Burger Company

Blackburns First Premier Steak and Burger Restaurant serving handmade premium burgers and the finest British Beef Steaks. All Halal and Fresh. Complete Coffee and Tea Lounge serving Illy Coffee.

Hallal eh? So thats that then. :angry2:

As much as I can do I avoid eating animals slaughtered by inhumane and primitive methods. In this day and age and especially in this country there is absolutely no need or excuse for such barbaric practice and any religions that promote such killing namely jewish and muslim should be exposed and condemned.

Best way to reward this restaurant for their stance is to avoid it!

• Like 5

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but had an excellent meal this week at The Railway at Euxton.

Highly recommended.

Thanks for the tip, but I worked there several (and the rest) years ago. we were fitting a new boiler and working like idiots so they could get the pub open on time so they didn't lose any trade. The landlady asked if we'd like some lunch so we accepted... only to find a bill for the food tucked under the plate! Cheek! we took our time after that and let the job last for another day... I swore then that I'd never put a penny behind that bar.

A bit off topic but this is a food and drink thread. Tesco's are stocking a Freixenet vintage 2007 at the giveaway price of £5.99 and they have a fabulous Rioja - Marques de Carano Gran Reserva 2001 for the ridiculous price of £4.99, should be £10+. Get some.

Anyone tried Pond in Preston yet? I love tapas and this has been recommended.

Ta!

Went a year ago and haven't been back - but this is what I thought then ...

This is the most useful thread on the MB, just keeps on going ... almost as good as Sawdays

I love Tapas too, and this is certainly a cut above the chains - if you're in Preston town centre, perfect. If you were going to make a special journey, probably worth going to Duk instead.

Went a year ago and haven't been back - but this is what I thought then ...

This is the most useful thread on the MB, just keeps on going ... almost as good as Sawdays

I love Tapas too, and this is certainly a cut above the chains - if you're in Preston town centre, perfect. If you were going to make a special journey, probably worth going to Duk instead.

Duk is also right next to the drop off point for the park and ride service from Walton le Dale.

From their site....

Steak & Burger Company

Blackburns First Premier Steak and Burger Restaurant serving handmade premium burgers and the finest British Beef Steaks. All Halal and Fresh. Complete Coffee and Tea Lounge serving Illy Coffee.

Hallal eh? So thats that then. :angry2:

As much as I can do I avoid eating animals slaughtered by inhumane and primitive methods. In this day and age and especially in this country there is absolutely no need or excuse for such barbaric practice and any religions that promote such killing namely jewish and muslim should be exposed and condemned.

Best way to reward this restaurant for their stance is to avoid it!

My girlfriend works in town, her colleagues called the above mentioned place to place a lunchtime take out order.

No one finished their meal.. No one would consider ordering again. All of them fleeced for expensive low quality, poorly prepared food.

Girlfriend has a tin of Heinz soup and laughed .. ....

Looking for a place to take my girlfriend for a birthday so I'm wondering if any foodies here can think of a place that might tick the following criteria. I want an English restaurant in or around Manchester City Centre/South Manchester with a good selection of vegetarian meals (as a guide...cauliflower cheese is her favourite), but it must be a restaurant and not a pub/restaurant (if possible).

Greens in Didsbury is my obvious choice but we've been there before so I'm hoping there is somewhere different to go.

Looking for a place to take my girlfriend for a birthday so I'm wondering if any foodies here can think of a place that might tick the following criteria. I want an English restaurant in or around Manchester City Centre/South Manchester with a good selection of vegetarian meals (as a guide...cauliflower cheese is her favourite), but it must be a restaurant and not a pub/restaurant (if possible).

Greens in Didsbury is my obvious choice but we've been there before so I'm hoping there is somewhere different to go.

Earle on Cecil Rd, Hale is good. It's owned and run by Simon Rimmer the TV chef. A good feed and I've been told his vegetarian dishes are excellent. Not bad prices either. starters from £3 to around £8 and mains from £11 to £18.It is well known in the area for it's quality vegetarian options. All the ingredients are locally sourced too.

That Cafe in Levenshulme is an old favourite of mine ..Aint been for a few years though..Has a few Veggie option but not many.Very good and traditional..Might make you something veggie to order..Maybe give then a ring first ..Check their website

http://www.thatcafe.co.uk/

Like JC4LAB I haven't been for a few years, but it's always been good when I've been. Look out for the jazz sessions though.

here you go

happy cauliflower cheese.

Duk is also right next to the drop off point for the park and ride service from Walton le Dale.

Duk and Pond are owned by the same management and are about 100 yards apart. I prefer Pond as it's a bit lighter and airier but the food is pretty much the same in both. I know they both have very good reputations but I find them fairly ordinary to be honest.

• 4 weeks later...

Been to the Sparrowhawk Inn in Fence a couple of times recently, as its close to where I work, and its very good (if you can stand the Dingle photos behind the Bar).

Proper pub food, but good quality and value and good selection of Ales too.

Been to the Sparrowhawk Inn in Fence a couple of times recently, as its close to where I work, and its very good (if you can stand the Dingle photos behind the Bar).

Proper pub food, but good quality and value and good selection of Ales too.

Might be wrong but do the same people have the Eagle at Barrow?