BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

has anybody tried the Farmers glory on Haslingden old road? just wondered if the food was as good as the price suggests.... :wacko:

I had the mixed grill a couple of years ago. It had been cremated.

I might just have been unlucky but have not been since.

This being a food thread I hope it's appropriate to share a wonderful receipe I tried this Christmas; Basmati and Wild Rice Stuffing with Kumquats and Cranberries.

350g tilda basmati and wild rice (combined not each)

300g kumquats, quartered lentghways and deseeded

75g dried cranberries

125g butter

2 tablespoons caster sugar

large pinch of ground cinnamon

50g unsalted, shelled pistachios (ever tried shelling 50g of pistachios!!!!)

100g macademia nuts roghly chopped

1 dessertspoon of fresh rosemary chopped

juice of 1 large orange (I used 2 in the end)

juice of 1 lemon (again I used 2)

Cook the two rices seperatley (wild rice can take 40-60 minutes). For the best basmati rice, first put olive oil in base of saucepan, add salt, measure rice in fluid ounces, add to oil when hot to coat the grains, then add one-third more water than rice (6oz rice = 9oz water, etc). Rapidly bring to the boil, then turn heat to absolute minimum, seal with foil under saucepan lid, leave for 10-12 minutes, check, "fluff" with fork if all water gone, remove from heat and leave for 2-3 minutes before removing to a cold bowl to stop the cooking process. For the wild rice, chuck in boiling water and check every few minutes after around 35-40, you can only tell by tasting, should be slightly al dente.

Melt 40g butter in frying pan, add sugar and cook for one minute on low heat, mix in cinnamon and kumquats, turn up heat to medium to high, stir gently for 5 minutes or until kumquats have softened. Place in a bowl when cooked together with the syrup formed. You need a high heat and constant stirring to keep this syrup from solidifying, I tipped the edge of the pan into the flame to melt all the syrup in one spot and then kept pushing the kumquats through it so they were never in one spot to burn.

Skin the pistachios by covering with boiling water for 2 minutes, drain, wash with cold water, place on tea towel and rub vigourously then flush skins off in cold water.

Put rice in large bowl, then add kumquats plus the syrup formed in cooking, macademia nuts, cranberries, pistachios, rosemary, orange and lemon juice. Melt remaining butter, pour over and then mix thoroughly with your fingers.

Either use this to stuff your turkey or place in a greased gratin dish, cover with foil and heat for 30 minutes. I used the gratin dish and squeezed an extra lemon and orange over the mixture before it went in the oven.

The beauty of this dish is it's really zingy and cuts through the very fatty food assocciated with a Christmas dinner. It also looks fantastic, gets compliments at the table. Would be great for veggie guests at a dinner party. It's good cold but really fantastic when hot.

Edited by Paul

This being a food thread I hope it's appropriate to share a wonderful receipe I tried this Christmas; Basmati and Wild Rice Stuffing with Kumquats and Cranberries.

Would be great for veggie guests at a dinner party. It's good cold but really fantastic when hot.

I'll be doing that one over then next few days, it sounds really good. Cheers Paul.

We tried the Chaophraya in Manchester not so long ago, Thai.

Very good, not a massive fan of Thai but this has changed my mind. The quality of food and service was brilliant. The menu is very good, there's a normal menu and a set menu. I decided to go for the set menu, variety of starters and main courses.

Service was good and definitely worth a try.

Anyone watch Come Dine With Me? The narrator is funny.

We tried the Chaophraya in Manchester not so long ago, Thai.

Very good, not a massive fan of Thai but this has changed my mind. The quality of food and service was brilliant. The menu is very good, there's a normal menu and a set menu. I decided to go for the set menu, variety of starters and main courses.

Service was good and definitely worth a try.

Anyone watch Come Dine With Me? The narrator is funny.

Best cheapo TV for the masses that there is in the opinion of me and mine. Just about the only reallity TV (if that is what it is) that we all watch. Problem is they are in danger of selling their souls by selecting participants based on controversy rather than personality/ability.

Is the narrator Harry Hill cos if it isn't it certainly sounds like him? In last night's episode (Sun) the Iranian woman prepared about the best meal that I have seen on the show to date.

As for a good Thai meal I'm still mourning the passing of the Little Elephant in Darwen. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I cooked this last night.

Ahem, Sort of. I dropped the butter in favour of olive oil; I couldn't find wild rice so I did all basmati;(which btw is best soaked & rinsed in warm water several times before cooking;) I couldn't find kumquats to I settled on lychees & apricots. Oh, & I used macadame & cashews. The pistachios were wildly expensive.

Apart from that it was the same.

Tastes great.

Thanks Paul.

Is there any other football supporters sites where blokes discuss vegetarian recipes? Only on brfcs.co.uk!

Coming soon...... Abbey discusses moisturisers.

That's a joke BTW

Best cheapo TV for the masses that there is in the opinion of me and mine. Just about the only reallity TV (if that is what it is) that we all watch. Problem is they are in danger of selling their souls by selecting participants based on controversy rather than personality/ability.

Is the narrator Harry Hill cos if it isn't it certainly sounds like him? In last night's episode (Sun) the Iranian woman prepared about the best meal that I have seen on the show to date.

As for a good Thai meal I'm still mourning the passing of the Little Elephant in Darwen. :(

The Narrator is Dave Lamb, if it wasn't for him I don't think the programme would have took off like it has done. Dave Lamb was in Goodness Gracious Me, if any of you ever watched that he was the only regular white character.

has anybody tried the Farmers glory on Haslingden old road? just wondered if the food was as good as the price suggests.... :wacko:

I went last summer and it was fantastic, however it's been taken over since then and I'm not sure how the new management are doing.

Have you been and have you any feedback?

I'm off to Usha on Haslingden Old Rd on Saturday night, go up there early and have a nice chill out in the conservatory with a couple of bottles of wine then a damn fine curry.

• 2 weeks later...

It's my mothers 60th in May and she would like to go to Chinatown in Manchester for a meal with friends and family (including 1 very fussy uncle who will only eat somewhere that they do a "english" meal - i.e. no rice, no noodles Steak n' chips preferable).

Anyone have suggestions of the best place to go?

It's my mothers 60th in May and she would like to go to Chinatown in Manchester for a meal with friends and family (including 1 very fussy uncle who will only eat somewhere that they do a "english" meal - i.e. no rice, no noodles Steak n' chips preferable).

I know where you should suggest that your Uncle go if he can't suck it up for her 60th.....

The all you can eat style buffets prob have the best english..Tai Wu next to Macdonalds on Oxford Road is one.No 1 Oriental buffet is another..The Yang Sing is prob the most famous trad Chinese Restaurant..but the fun of China town is walking around it (Faulker steet, where to Gate is, has the most)..Best to take yor time just looking at all the different restaurants and outside menus then just going for it. picking one you like the look of.(if its busy it must be good)Avoid Shezuan style restaurtants unless you like hot..On the edge of China town if you dont fancy Chinese.is the Bank.About 15+ different styles of sausages

http://www.manchester.com/restaurants/details/602/the_bank.html..

Edited by JC4LAB

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Bukhara this weekend, pre-ordered a Lamb Leg, and my word! Delicious. The meat was cooked to perfection, nice and tender. Must have for anyone who has not been. Served with roast potatoes and salad around the dish.

Ordered a Greek Salad and an Olive Salad which was also exquisite!

I keep meaning to try that it looks excellent. I'm usually so disorganised that it's the pre ordering bit that thwarts me.

Edited by thenodrog

I keep meaning to try that it looks excellent. I'm usually so disorganised that it's the pre ordering bit that thwarts me.

48 hours in advance, and it's definitely worth the wait! Also had a Chilman Biryani from there, Birayni with a layer of pastry to cover it, and it gives it the perfect blend between hot and sweet, great recipe.

£50 for the lamb leg was a good enough price as well. Hopefully, going to try the stuffed lamb leg next time round. I'll let you know the outcome unless you beat me to it.

The Boatyard at Riley Green ? Taking the missus on Sunday.

Only been twice a couple of years ago so there may have been a change of staff since but it was only middling imo nick. The setting is lovely though but so much better when you can eat outside on a warm summers day.

The Boatyard at Riley Green ? Taking the missus on Sunday.

To be brutal, I live about five minutes away and have only been once. It's where all the local kids go for part-time jobs. Plenty of better options if you're not committed to this one. I can't recall anyone suggesting we pop in there for a drink. Depends what you want but I'd suggest the Golden Lion in Higher Wheelton if you need to be in this area, the setting isn't as good but I can vouch for the food being OK, not a great culinary experience but good.

bit of a random question here ,im doing a bit of family treeing for someone i knew years ago...nothing sinister.

does anyone know robert thompson? he used to live in abbey village and run the hogton arms in the 80's and he then ran gynn square(sp) near the ufo roundabout at blackpool ? no idea where he went after that .pm if on the off chance anyone knows.

cheers cilla abs.