BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Plenty of Depends what you want but I'd suggest the Golden Lion in Higher Wheelton if you need to be in this area, the setting isn't as good but I can vouch for the food being OK, not a great culinary experience but good.

Got an excellent review int Chorley Guardian last year, esp the steaks.

Went to Vermillion a couple of times with my boss who knows them well....Its a Thai and Indian style ..Used by some City And Man U players.(nani..SW Philips..)..Very popular and well liked by everyone who goes but you pay that bit more for the nice atmosphere..Used to have a Sunday lunch bargain buffet but these things change..Have a website showing the latest offers..

Anyone been to Vermillion / Cinnibar in Manc? Due to go next week

I was there last Saturday and it was superb - the place itself had a cracking atmosphere, the decor was top notch and the food was very tasty, we went for the set menu which was £20 each but for that you got numerous starters/mains and a dessert, we wanted to try a bit of everything.

Headed up to the bar after for a few drinks and again was a nice place to chill out.

thumbs up from me!!

Plan to hit sweet mandarin next time I am down, any experiences?

The Boatyard at Riley Green ? Taking the missus on Sunday.

Avoid Nick. Struggling recently due to poor management, new manager in place but early days yet. Heard it had even been burgled! Royal Oak up the road is much better for eating or the recently refurbished Rock Inn at Tockholes.

Edited by MCMC1875

To be brutal, I live about five minutes away and have only been once. It's where all the local kids go for part-time jobs. Plenty of better options if you're not committed to this one. I can't recall anyone suggesting we pop in there for a drink. Depends what you want but I'd suggest the Golden Lion in Higher Wheelton if you need to be in this area, the setting isn't as good but I can vouch for the food being OK, not a great culinary experience but good.

Cheers for that, Golden Lion it is then. Sitting outside in the sun will be better for the Boatyard I suppose, but the grub sounds nicer at this one.

Thanks Paul, Gord and MCM :tu:

I went last summer and it was fantastic, however it's been taken over since then and I'm not sure how the new management are doing.

Have you been and have you any feedback?

Sorry,i forgot to post back on here about the Farmers Glory on Haslingden old road... :blush:

Anyhow there was 11 of us that went over xmas (9 adults and 2 children) imo it`s not very child friendly at all,there was no seperate childrens menu you just ordered smaller portions of the main courses! Taking into account that most dishes were steak or game it didn`t leave much choice for the kids (despite the fact when my mum rang with the booking she was told there was a good choice for children).

I had chicken liver pate to start which was probably the worse pate i have had,it was too smooth for my liking to the point it was quite sickly and it was tasteless.It also didn`t help by having a 1/2" layer of solid fat to take off first! For mains I had sliced Duck (nice) with potato gratin (delicious) which was accompanied by 1/2 a plate of RED cabbage (wtf?) apparently it`s the `in` thing at the moment.. <_< .For desert though I had Eton mess which was ok but definitely not the best I have had.

Overall it was ok but I didn`t think it was brilliant and when you are averaging £15-£24 for a mains and around the £5 mark for starters and desserts,I expected far better.Nice enough decor and friendly enough staff but I won`t be rushing to go back thats for sure,especially when there are cheaper and better alternatives elsewhere.

..... which was accompanied by 1/2 a plate of RED cabbage (wtf?) apparently it`s the `in` thing at the moment.. <_< .

Red Pump Bashall Eaves last night. I had a dollop of red cabbage last that er indoors could'nt manage. It was also served with duck. It was superb and cooked to perfection and obviously without that horrible vinegary taste that one associates with pickled red cabbage.

I had the sausage and mash (home made flat sausage with no skin) and it was excellent. My only complaint was that the portions were not great. Fine for the missus but barely enough for me.

This place gets rave reviews and it is a charming and comfortable hostelry hidden far from the madding crowd. It also has 3 guest rooms for anybody wanting a 'get away from it all' weekend. Good local brews on draught but I reneged on those and chose a couple of pints of the excellent Czech lager 'Budvar'.

Hughesy ... Alghero's is high on my 'avoid' list. I've been about 4/5 times over the years and I would be being extremely kind if I said it was average. Kids all over the place and music blaring out way too loud last time I was there making conversation difficult. Maybe it has had a change of owner but imo I'd struggle to get to 4/10.

Algheros the other night.......7/10

I've found the food there quite good on the two or three times I've been. What I don't like is that sodding 'birthday ditty' played at 6 million decibels when there is a birthday in the house, accompanied by one of the waiters doing a whoo-whoo at 4 million decibels.

• Backroom

wow..love alghero.

i had a chinese take away last night from brook st in rishton. it changed hands 6 weeks and its now VERY GOOD!

Will keep that in mind, if I'm getting a chinese I often plump for Mr Chipps as its cheap and they deliver for free.

Red Pump Bashall Eaves last night. I had a dollop of red cabbage last that er indoors could'nt manage. It was also served with duck. It was superb and cooked to perfection and obviously without that horrible vinegary taste that one associates with pickled red cabbage.

I had the sausage and mash (home made flat sausage with no skin) and it was excellent. My only complaint was that the portions were not great. Fine for the missus but barely enough for me.

This place gets rave reviews and it is a charming and comfortable hostelry hidden far from the madding crowd. It also has 3 guest rooms for anybody wanting a 'get away from it all' weekend. Good local brews on draught but I reneged on those and chose a couple of pints of the excellent Czech lager 'Budvar'.

We were in the Red Pump for a late Saturday lunch, so probably only missed you by a few hours ohmy.gif

Comfortably the best eatery in this region in my opinion (as previously posted here).

Portion size depends on what you choose I think - I had the super-slow roast Pendle belly pork, and although I managed a desert after it I certainly wasn't going to be hungry after the main. Elsewhere on the table were the shin of beef, the rabbit and venison hot pot, the duck dish Mrs Tnd had, and the veggie stack - you couldn't call any of the portions insufficient.

I agree their home made flat sausage is fantastic, I asked them to slip one on the side for brekkie last time I was there and loved it.

We are certainly lucky to have this sort of place on our doorsteps.

At the other end of the spectrum, I finished yesterday off with a chicken and lamb mix shish from Yummy's Kebab Land in Stourbridge. Seemed like a good idea at the time ... unsure.gif

Edited by Tris

Cheers for that, Golden Lion it is then. Sitting outside in the sun will be better for the Boatyard I suppose, but the grub sounds nicer at this one.

Thanks Paul, Gord and MCM :tu:

Got to the Golden Lion around 7pm last night - "sorry we've stopped serving food" WTF ?

Out of desperation ended up in Chorley - 'Parmesan and Pepper' bit rubbish really.

Alghero's does not claim to be fine dining! What it set out to achieve it does very well in my opinion.

It is quick, decent tasting grub in an informal and fun environment!

A typcial example was late last year! After returning from an away game we wanted somewhere to go for a quick tasty meal as it was pretty late. We opted for Alghero's and we had a lovely garlic bread, pasta dish and a few beers in around 45 minutes. No complaints.

I have eaten here over 50 times and have never had a bad meal as i know to stay away on a saturday evening when it is very busy and so on.