BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Italians - Algheros, Quattros, Latino Lounge - All very good

Never been to Latino Lounge but imo the other two are poor fare. A nice plate of pasta is excellent for lunch (washed down with a glass or two of fine wine of course) but imo a long way off the pace for an evening meal.

Best Indian - ( no constancy here at all ), had excellent takeaways from sukis, and many in blackbburn, but then so dissapointed when eventually all the curries taste the same.

I have a theory here. Maybe there are travellling chefs that try to teach how to make the curries, after they leave, they go back to serving the same all slop.

Best Thai - NEVER BEEN TO ONE ROUND HERE

Best Italian - Algheros, last time I went, service was pathetic, food was poor. Not a patch were it was 2 or 3 years ago.

Best Contemporary English - Thyme @ the Sirloin, standards dropped.

Best Chinese - Holy Tree, Feniscowles, not the cleanest environment !!! ( your are warned )

Best for a quick lunch - Cafe Beees, Blackburn town centre, 1 fantastic Christmas meal and 1 very dissapoining lunchtime.

Is the Thai restaurnt in Whalley still open?

Theno, the Khyber has had a refit now, central heating, new seats shiny worktops and tables etc

Ruined it

:lol:

Best Italian (outside of Italy)

Devonport, Tas. Mine host sat at the end of the bar and inspected every dish. If it wasn't to his satisfaction it went back until he was satisfied. Only then was it put in front of the customer.

I had a scollopine marinara, absolutely perfect. Diced prawns, scollops(Tassie of course) muscles, calamari, in between finely sliced peices of veal cooked in a divine tomato sauce.

A year or so later, I went into a restaurant in Nowra, just South of Sydney, to test a theory (that the chef would cook something not on the menu). The reason being that he wanted something different to do.

Anyway, this chef did, he came and said that he hadn't all the ingredients, but he'd work something out. He did, it was good, and yes, it cost me a bit more than a standard menu item.

I thought Goodfellos on Preston New Road was a pretty decent restaurant. They would change a recipe for you, add things to it, take things away or add a different sauce and the food was always fresh and tasty.

Shame it has closed down now and been replaced by a AYCE Indian.

haha, yeh the Kyber did not feel the same last weekend when i came out of JK and stumbled across the road. I think i prefer now the Shandar now, it still has the plastic horrible seats, the curry stained smell and is dirt cheap.....and it usually full of asian taxi drivers at 4am.

Edited by vintageadidas

I thought Goodfellos on Preston New Road was a pretty decent restaurant. They would change a recipe for you, add things to it, take things away or add a different sauce and the food was always fresh and tasty.

haha, yeh the Kyber did not feel the same last weekend when i came out of JK and stumbled across the road. I think i prefer now the Shandar now, it still has the plastic horrible seats, the curry stained smell and is dirt cheap.....and it usually full of asian taxi drivers at 4am.

Have you tried the Khyber's other restaurant yet, its called Michaels, heard very good reports about it

:rover:

The Little Elephant in Darwen is a Thai restaurant, I've been on a few occasions, not too bad, menu is a little on the bland side. Don't know if the one upstairs Judge Walmsleys pub in Billington is still going - Siam Palace.

Diep Le Shaker in Dublin is a fantastic Thai restaurant, plus one of the managers there is a Rovers fan :D Free cocktails for me!

Amanda at Goodfellos was a trier and had good ideas BUT eventually she suffered the Blackburn curse where every 'nice' establishment ends up packing in or going tits up. I must say and I dont know why but the clientele seemed to change for the worse latterly too.

Amanda at Goodfellos was a trier and had good ideas BUT eventually she suffered the Blackburn curse where every 'nice' establishment ends up packing in or going tits up. I must say and I dont know why but the clientele seemed to change for the worse latterly too.

Yes she was, nice women too. I totally agree, EVERYTHING closes down in Blackburn. We have no nice pubs in the town centre. The nicest pub in Blackburn is probably the Bulls Head a whilpshire but is far to pretentious.

Richmonds started off well too, and i thought to myself, god this is too good for Blackburn....which eventually it was. But they were charging £9.95 for fish and chips. I think you can make a go of it if this price is right and your food it good.

Cafe beees has is spot on. Fresh, tasty and homemade food at a decent price with nice, modern interior. I hope they stay open. The warm bacon, brie and sweet chilli jam panini is excellent when shopping with the other half after a skin full the night before.

What does that entail? And for what purpose? :blink:

btw Been to Cafe Bees a couple of times and it's good. I hope they do OK but....... it is Blackburn rem. :unsure:

Haha, it entails being dragged around the shops like kevin from harry enfield and the purpose is ......... well im pretty sure you can work that out ;)B)

Livebait is OK, better food at Simply Heathcotes around the corner. Sams chop house is still the best place to eat in Manchester with it's charm and good honest English food. Piccolino's is good for italian as is Croma opposite it.

Armenian Tavern is a good shout, not necessarily romantic though. Juniper in Altrincham is good, but very expensive (Michelin star). The yang sing is till just about the best chinese although anywhere in China town is pretty good. Stock is very good, and probably a bit more along the line sof what you are looking for. It's the old stock exchange building between king street and market street. Very good wine list.

Ive never had anything but problems with Stock.

Food was good, but service and attitude of ALL the staff was appalling.

Ive never had anything but problems with Stock.

Food was good, but service and attitude of ALL the staff was appalling.

The Red Chilli is the best "Chinese" restaurant in Manchester half the price of Yang Sing, which is predominantly Cantonese

:rover:

Thyme at Houghton is very good. It's above some pub or other that I can't remember the name of.

Good food..... been a few times and I urge you all to check your bill. 1st time we noticed that they had charged us for 7 main courses instead of 6! Twice wrong since but we were undercharged not overcharged!

but.... it's a cheese butty establishment in my book.

Good food..... been a few times and I urge you all to check your bill.

We had another table's bill added to ours!! £250+ from what i recall. :o

but.... it's a cheese butty establishment in my book.

What does that mean?