BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Darwen has a new restaurant called La Salsa, on Railway Road just behind the market. It's offering tapas (as you'd expect with a name like that), and is a spin off from a restaurant of the same name in Bolton. The Darwen version doesn't appear to have a website yet, this is Bolton's website and the menus are the same.

You can eat as much tapas as you want for £9.95 (£11.95 on Fridays and Saturdays). The portions are sensibly small but they are quick to bring the menus back every time you finish the dishes on the table - you can order 3 or 4 at a time so there's always a nice combination of salad / potato / fish / meat / vegetable dishes on the table.

I was really impressed with the place, firstly because it's a brave venture in Darwen, but more so because the food was well cooked, tasty and fresh. It was fully booked out tonight and hopeful walk-up diners were being turned away at the door.

Definitely recommended, and would advise booking until they've extended into upstairs (which is planned) - 01254 777744. Cruzcampo, San Miguel and Guinness on tap.

• 2 weeks later...

for anybody who likes their carvery`s you won`t be able to do better than the `rose `n` bowl` in stacksteads near Bacup.I am absolutely stuffed! A choice of 4 meats (beef,turkey,pork and ham) that was absolutely cooked to perfection,huge yorkshire puddings and the best roasties you will ever taste! a choice from around 10 desserts well and truly finished me off!

For 2 adults and 2 children,2 courses and drinks was just under £46 superb value and good service,highly recommended indeed. :)

Edited by bacup blue

• 4 weeks later...

I can strongly recommend this place in Glasgow ...

<a href="http://www.samarinauk.com/Home_Page.php" target="_blank">Sa Marina</a>

It's south of the river, so a 3 quid taxi from the more central areas, but the food is truly stunning, and the service the total opposite to what you describe at the Ubiquitous Chip Oz - a real family business.

Also a good reminder that appearances can be deceptive - if you drove past it I guess you wouldn't even look twice!!

The website appears to have gone, does anyone know if the restaurant is still open?

Been meaning to mention this for a while now. New Season, St Thomas's Street, Chorley. Good food, excellent service and a nice atmosphere. The restaurant must have been a house at some point as each of the rooms is now a seperate eating area meaning when busy it still seems quiet. Portions are substantial and the food is good, not the greatest but GVFM.

For anyone in the Coventry area - I was away for a golf break with a few mates last weekend and stayed at the Windmill Village Hotel (http://www.windmillvillagehotel.co.uk/) and was pleasantly surprised how good their food was when we sat down for dinner - 3 courses for 23 quid - I had a confit duck started and confit belly pork for main both of which were excellent and then a very unusual coconut panacotta with pinapple and chilli oil dressing - the booze was a bit pricy, and the rooms weren't up to much but the food was excellent.

If you fancy spending a few quid, then Northcote is the nicest around in my opinion.

The food is obviously very good but I find Northcote a trifle OTT and stuffed shirtish. Only been the once but to the restuarant at Stanley House but I found the quality excellent and the dining experience a little more relaxed.

Edited by thenodrog

good tip mate, I'll give it a try one day... :rover:

Get saving up marky.... the thing that constantly lets these places down is the cost of drinks. Stanley House is no exception and the drink prices were ludicrous. Our party all enjoyed the food but drank very sparingly. They should address this issue cos good though it is Stanley House rarely seems busy and a quiet restaurant is so often the beginning of the end.

good news ......Due to low demand for Halal products the following 5 Stores will be ending their Halal Trial on the 19th July 2010 (No longer serving Halal Products)

Accrington - BB5 1W

Burton on Trent - DE14 1YD

Colne - BB8 9HH

Old Kent Road - SE15 1JS

Hyde Road - M18 7AA

i can eat kfc again in july yes.

• Like 2

good news ......Due to low demand for Halal products the following 5 Stores will be ending their Halal Trial on the 19th July 2010 (No longer serving Halal Products)

Accrington - BB5 1W

Colne - BB8 9HH

Old Kent Road - SE15 1JS

Hyde Road - M18 7AA

Don't be too cock a hoop abbey. Whilst a battle against the basic barbarity of a primitive religion has been won the war will undoubtedly continue. :(

Edited by thenodrog
  • Like 1

Accrington - BB5 1W

Colne - BB8 9HH

Old Kent Road - SE15 1JS

Hyde Road - M18 7AA

I don't want to get into the old debate but does this mean you will not eat Indian/Asian meat curry, donner/shish/chicken kebab's, meat pizza's or burgers from any of our many take away's in the Blackburn area? It's just a matter of interest and not an argument/debate of any sort.

I don't want to get into the old debate but does this mean you will not eat Indian/Asian meat curry, donner/shish/chicken kebab's, meat pizza's or burgers from any of our many take away's in the Blackburn area? It's just a matter of interest and not an argument/debate of any sort.

Whether he will or he won't it is unfortunately his personal choice. It is still a sin and a crime in this country to cut the throat of a fully conscious animal in order to bleed it to death but until the law is enforced equally and without exception hallal meat is to be expected in muslim outlets.

This is all being quickly eroded though when non islamic restaurants, food chains and even catering wholesalers now view see the selling of hallal meat as a sales issue. 'They wont eat anything else and our lot don't seem to bother' seems to be the current missive.

This is a christian country but any christian will have far less choice of menu than a muslim person in a. Blackburn and b. the Trafford Centre.

It's foot in the door tactics that are working through the negligence of our kid glove authorities.

Anyway let me ask you a couple of questions morton.

1. Do you condone cruelty and unecessary suffering of millions of animals for no scientific or moral reason in our abbatoirs when proven humane slaughtering equipment is within arms length and not used? If so why and on what grounds?

2. Do you think in the future that hallal slaughter will become the norm in the UK through expedience?

Edited by thenodrog
  • Like 1

Guest Kamy100

I can assure you that there are far more places in this country that serve non-halal meat than serve halal meat and to ease you anxiety THERE IS NO HALAL REVOLUTION going on. It is all about giving people choice, for example there are two KFC's in the Blackburn area, one serves Halal meat the other doesn't, same goes for Subway.

You obviously have a moral issue with regards to this issue but reading back in this thread it seems that you eat at indian restaurants that sell halal meat, doesn't that make you a hypocrite?

Edited by Kamy100

I can assure you that there are far more places in this country that serve non-halal meat than serve halal meat and to ease you anxiety THERE IS NO HALAL REVOLUTION going on. It is all about giving people choice, for example there are two KFC's in the Blackburn area, one serves Halal meat the other doesn't, same goes for Subway.

You obviously have a moral issue with regards to this issue but reading back in this thread it seems that you eat at indian restaurants that sell halal meat, doesn't that make you a hypocrite?

I'll answer that immediately.....

Quite probably Kamy. I like IndoPak food and that goes with the territory. Unfortunately I am offered no choice. You say there are two KFC's and Subway's in Blackburn and one of each. So there is indeed a choice. Right well there are literally hundreds of IP outlets in Blackburn but do you know of any that offer a choice of meat? Hallal / Non Hallal? I don't I'm afraid.

You suggest that I'm a hypocrite so what does that make you? I'd suggest a kind description would be intransigent and intransigence is not an edifying quality for any immigrant communities truly seeking integration is it?

Now can I hear your answer to question 1 above?

Edited by thenodrog

Guest Kamy100

I am not going to get into a debate with you, this is a thread about Restuarants.

Other than that, you clearly have agenda's and you are entitled to them, I have over the years' try to debate rationally with you but to be honest TNR to it is becoming tiresome to read so many threads on here which start on one subject and are diverted to something else.

• Like 2

Whether he will or he won't it is unfortunately his personal choice. It is still a sin and a crime in this country to cut the throat of a fully conscious animal in order to bleed it to death but until the law is enforced equally and without exception hallal meat is to be expected in muslim outlets.

This is all being quickly eroded though when non islamic restaurants, food chains and even catering wholesalers now view see the selling of hallal meat as a sales issue. 'They wont eat anything else and our lot don't seem to bother' seems to be the current missive.

This is a christian country but any christian will have far less choice of menu than a muslim person in a. Blackburn and b. the Trafford Centre.

It's foot in the door tactics that are working through the negligence of our kid glove authorities.

Anyway let me ask you a couple of questions morton.

1. Do you condone cruelty and unecessary suffering of millions of animals for no scientific or moral reason in our abbatoirs when proven humane slaughtering equipment is within arms length and not used? If so why and on what grounds?

2. Do you think in the future that hallal slaughter will become the norm in the UK through expedience?

As I clearly stated in my post, I am not debating whether it is right or wrong, I was asking a simple question through interest alone.

We live in a multi faith country, personally I respect everybody's religion and beliefs and I will eat whatever I choose to eat whether it has been slaughtered humanly or not.

1. My opinion is that whether you cut the throat of a lamb or put an electric bolt through its head doesn't actually concern me too much as the animals in question are bred for slaughter. I enjoy all different types of food from fine dining to the occasional doner kebab, the choice is there for all to take.

2. Halal slaughter is in practice in our country and will always be as long as we have a religiously diversified population.