BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Cheers chaps may be time for a rethink as we booked a table at Anaz but will give sukhis a ring.

On a side note has anyone tried Calypso under the woodlands I've heard good reviews

Sukhi's has been the best of the bunch since it opened. I seem to remember that the owner of Sukhi's used to be the head waiter at Akash.

As a born and bred Darrener and Indian food lover, Sukhis is the best. No question about it try all three if you like and find that I am correct. YUM

Very much so and Sukhi's own brand lager is lovely and light, a perfect accompaniment for curry.

Ate in the Bayley Arms, Hurst Green last Saturday. It was our annual pub crawl with a coach through the Ribble Valley and we finished in Hurst Green this time instead of Waddington. Chicken Tikka Masala followed by Strawberry Cheesecake - excellent, although I downed pint number 13 there followed by number 14 in The Shireburn, so I could probably have eaten cardboard and gravel and found it good. Brilliant day though!

As a born and bred Darrener and Indian food lover, Sukhis is the best. No question about it try all three if you like and find that I am correct. YUM

I'm going to speak up for the Anaz as I've been a patron since it first opened.

The vast majority of meals I have had have been excellent, although the chef seems to go on holidays every year and then the standard drops.

I have been in the other 2 and have always been disappointed.

I also quite like the Bukharra, the original East Z East in Manchester and I had a wonderful trio of desserts in the Quillon in London.

More locally, the restaurant/cafe near the Barbara Castle end of Whalley Range is really quite good.

That takes me back CLB.

Whilst they didn't have much in the way of "exotic" pub food in those days, I did enjoy many a cleansing ale in many of the fine hostelries of that area.

Aye, great area, Dave. This year we did - local in Darwen - Swan Inn Whalley - Waddington Arms & Lower Buck in Waddington - Moorcock on the fell - Parkers Arms Newton in Bowland - Bayley Arms & Shireburn in Hurst Green - back to local in Darwen.

I think we went on 4 trips when friends organised it and since then me and Mrs CLB have done the last 5.

Maybe a bit of a diversion from the food topic, but what's the Lower Buck like these days CLB? I used to frequent it back in the day - when it had several proper ales (before real ale pubs were the in thing) including the legendary Moonraker, basic food, and a pretty 'unusual' bar. Bizarrely, I think it was owned by the church! Had a few evenings go missing in there!

Maybe a bit of a diversion from the food topic, but what's the Lower Buck like these days CLB? I used to frequent it back in the day - when it had several proper ales (before real ale pubs were the in thing) including the legendary Moonraker, basic food, and a pretty 'unusual' bar. Bizarrely, I think it was owned by the church! Had a few evenings go missing in there!

Great place Neil - the food is very good, priced ok and beerwise I was on Hen Harrier (Bowland Beer Co).

Real long shot this one but may as well let you all know. Anyone finding themselves holidaying on Barra, Outer Hebrides must visit the sandwich shop slightly to the right of the harbour as you look out to sea. Here you will be able to buy the finest sandwich you will ever eat. They only do four or five flavours, I had flakey smoked Salar salmon with crowdie(this is like cream cheese but with bits that have turned to actual cheese - best I can do) on wholemeal. It comes with a seperate salad and potato crisps. Now you may think £5.95 is a lot for a sandwich but I can assure you it isn't. Warning though - you may never be able to eat another sandwich without recalling this one, and you'll never buy a Subway again!!!!!

They also do the best tablet I've eaten, and I'm a connoiseur! Can't remember the shop name but but intend to find out as they Mail Order the tablet.

Real long shot this one but may as well let you all know. Anyone finding themselves holidaying on Barra, Outer Hebrides must visit the sandwich shop slightly to the right of the harbour as you look out to sea. Here you will be able to buy the finest sandwich you will ever eat. They only do four or five flavours, I had flakey smoked Salar salmon with crowdie(this is like cream cheese but with bits that have turned to actual cheese - best I can do) on wholemeal. It comes with a seperate salad and potato crisps. Now you may think £5.95 is a lot for a sandwich but I can assure you it isn't. Warning though - you may never be able to eat another sandwich without recalling this one, and you'll never buy a Subway again!!!!!

They also do the best tablet I've eaten, and I'm a connoiseur! Can't remember the shop name but but intend to find out as they Mail Order the tablet.

I'll be there during August, I'll definitely check out the sandwich shop. If you have any other eating tips in the Outer Hebredies I'm all ears.

Similarly if anyone finds themselves in Lochinver you need to check out the pies at Lochinver Larder (also available by mail order at http://www.piesbypost.co.uk) Best. Pies. Ever. My favourites are Venison & Cranberry, Poached Salmon and Apple & Blackcurrent

I'll be there during August, I'll definitely check out the sandwich shop. If you have any other eating tips in the Outer Hebredies I'm all ears.

GG - I was cycle touring in Argyll and the Hebrides (started in Barra, finished in Stornoway) so I wasn't doing a lot of fine dining. Generally I stopped at cafes / pubs for lunch and then stayed overnight in bunk houses or hostels, in the evenings I was cooking myself pasta or other heavy carbohydrate food. I can give some general observations, it soon became obvious the places doing home / locally prepared food where those with very limited menus while those with extensive menus where opening tins / packets. Foods I really enjoyed are a bit obvious but were local cheeses, salmon (Salar and smokey flaked are superb), sea trout, kippers, home made soups, tablet, crowdie, Stornoway black pudding and also white pudding which is quite different to the black. Local eggs are superb fried or scrambled. The water is amazing, in a few places the colour of cider.

Places I can remember by name are the cafe at the Hebridean Jewelery shop at Iochdar, The Lobster Pot cafe in the Ardmore Stores on Berneray did good tea and cakes and unusually did an evening meal, rather bizarre menu of three standard curries or local kippers which were very good. The Hebridean Smokehouse, North Uist, does very good smoked local produce and has a shop which is quite pricey. If you go a few miles north on the same road you'll come to a good cafe which has lots of products from the Hebridean Smokehouse on the menu which means you can try them as a meal. Also you can get smoked salmon lunch for £6.95 while the Smokehouse was charging £7.95 for a 100 gram pack!!!! If you go to Tarbert, Harris don't go in the first cafe on the right opposite the Tourist Info centre - awful and all tinned.

All the Co-ops stocked Indonesian farmed prawns - strange!

The Hebrides are the most beautiful place I have been, fingers crossed you get the weather. Be aware much of the islands are extremely remote, a village might be 3-4 houses. If you want some other info let me know.

Edited by Paul

The Filling Station, Inverness. Excellent spaghetti carbonara, large glass of Merlot and garlic bread for £16.95. Usual sort of place with menu to match but good quality food. Very busy when I went in. On leaving the station turn left, 100 yards round corner opposite M&S.

Pies ? Birkenhead market, in the far corner. Steak and kidney baked right there on the stall, dreamy and definitely the best I've ever had.

Pies 2.

Anybody travelling through Simonstone call in at the Fuzzy Duck sandwich shop and buy a cold pork and apple pie. Dunno if they make them or buy them in but they are superb.

Off to Wagarama tonight in Deansgate..Very nice Japanase & Thai Style noodle bar.Not too heavy so recommend before going to the MEN Arena etc

..If you find yourself later in the year being dragged screaming and kicking by your other half to the inevitable MEN Arena That That Robbie Wiliams reunion a meal here beforehand might just cheer you up...