BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Just been watching ramseys best restaurant on c4. Yu and you won best Chinese. Just wondering of anyone on here has been

Good but rather over priced when it opened but on the basis of my last (last being the operative word) two visits it's been poor to bad and by definition seriously over priced! Rumours do abound that there is some Walker 'influence' behind the restaurant.

Fact is that chinese lad would rather run a wine bar and disco than a serious restaurant. As for the Ramsey programme it is a complete farce and probably has plenty of strings attached.

• 4 weeks later...

Been eating out a lot over the last two months. I have visited the following:

1 - Duk, Preston (South American Tapas) - Superb, i love the fact i feel like i am on holiday and the food really is very tasty!

2 - Sharjan, Blackburn (Indian) - Decent to good food, but i believe they use mass-produced frozen samosas, pakoras and so on. Is it that hard for a trained chef to make these fresh? The main dishes do taste very similar to one another as well. Visited a restaurant in London last year that was contemporary indian and it was amazing. Using the spices, chutneys and so associated within indian cooking and applying them to more well known english dishes really made me look at the indian slop i have been served round here over the past few years.

3 - Thyme, Hoghton (Contemp English) - Excellent! Fantastic service, fantastic food (new menu), close to my house. Perfect!!

4 - Calypso, Blackburn (Jamaican) - Very good food, the mutton curry was quality!

5 - Buddah Lounge, Ramsbottom (Thai)- This was a fantastic meal. Very modern, great service and worth the drive.

Been eating out a lot over the last two months. I have visited the following:

1 - Duk, Preston (South American Tapas) - Superb, i love the fact i feel like i am on holiday and the food really is very tasty!

2 - Sharjan, Blackburn (Indian) - Decent to good food, but i believe they use mass-produced frozen samosas, pakoras and so on. Is it that hard for a trained chef to make these fresh? The main dishes do taste very similar to one another as well. Visited a restaurant in London last year that was contemporary indian and it was amazing. Using the spices, chutneys and so associated within indian cooking and applying them to more well known english dishes really made me look at the indian slop i have been served round here over the past few years.

3 - Thyme, Hoghton (Contemp English) - Excellent! Fantastic service, fantastic food (new menu), close to my house. Perfect!!

4 - Calypso, Blackburn (Jamaican) - Very good food, the mutton curry was quality!

5 - Buddah Lounge, Ramsbottom (Thai)- This was a fantastic meal. Very modern, great service and worth the drive.

1. Every duk / pond / puddleduck is well worth a visit imo.

2. Curry for the middle classes. Bukhara just a couple of miles down the road is better food by a mile.... but rem no alcohol served or allowed can be consumed on the premises.

3. Thyme ... Good food, nice surroundings BUT take my advice and ALWAYS check the bill very carefully!!!

4. Calypso... I can't comment on the food but I would never ever contemplate having a meal in that restaurant.

Nothing to do with eating houses, but food.

Got some Double Gloucester with chives & onions from The Co-op today.

Nirvana on toast!

Can't wait to get stuck into their Wensleydale with cranberries.

"Don't forget the cheese Gromit."

Nothing to do with eating houses, but food.

Got some Double Gloucester with chives & onions from The Co-op today.

Nirvana on toast!

Cheddar with chives and proper bits of pickled onion from Asda, buy it every week
:tu:

Can't wait to get stuck into their Wensleydale with cranberries.

I'm sure I once ate cheese and jam as a kid
:wacko:

"Don't forget the cheese Gromit."

• Backroom

1. Every duk / pond / puddleduck is well worth a visit imo.

2. Curry for the middle classes. Bukhara just a couple of miles down the road is better food by a mile.... but rem no alcohol served or allowed can be consumed on the premises.

3. Thyme ... Good food, nice surroundings BUT take my advice and ALWAYS check the bill very carefully!!!

4. Calypso... I can't comment on the food but I would never ever contemplate having a meal in that restaurant.

Out of interest Theno why wouldn't you go to Calypso I remember you said it before?

Going to try that tapas place at Darwen in the next few weeks, looks decent.

Has anyone been to the Traders at Mellor recently? I'd like to hear what the food is like if possible. We're thinking of going for a big family meal - looking for somewhere quite local to Mellor that's not too 'fancy' but does good food.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Has anyone been to the Traders at Mellor recently? I'd like to hear what the food is like if possible. We're thinking of going for a big family meal - looking for somewhere quite local to Mellor that's not too 'fancy' but does good food.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've not eaten at the Traders for a long time so I cannpt comment, but the Millstone bar snacks are about as good as it gets. Whether you can organise a big family table I don't know as you have not indicated numbers. The restaurant could accomodate you but the prices in there are normally steeper than the bar snacks despite the food being similar and cooked in the same kitchen.

Went to York today, as beautiful as ever, and found "Demijohn," on Museum Street. It's a liquid delicatessen. Flavoured vodkas, gins, cask strength whisky, beautiful oils. Came home with Somerset Calvados, gooseberry gin, pineapple vodka and rhubarb vodka. You can sample everything before you buy!!! Hic!

Called at The Bull at Broughton on the way home. Surprisingly quiet for a Friday night. Good food, better than t'Clog.

Edited by Paul

• 1 month later...

Just like those who opposed the Tesco too which is a MASSIVE success! It boils down to retired or semi retired busy bodies with nothing to do but moan.

I understand the takeaway aspect having some form of opposition - kids hanging around, litter and so on. The actual restaurant can only be good for the area.

I really hope it takes off and i will be visiting as soon as it opens.

Just like those who opposed the Tesco too which is a MASSIVE success!

No argument with the "massive success" for the Tesco. It usually announces that a store opening will create 200 or so new jobs.

What it never mentions is the number of jobs it will destroy elsewhere. If we buy our tins of beans at Tesco then we don't buy our tins of beans from somewhere else. That somewhere else then goes out of business.

Tesco is not in the business of creating jobs, it's in the business of putting it's competitors out of business and maximising profits for its shareholders.

Screwing every other retailer is what it is set up to do. So let's not be naive about it.

Anyone tried the Eat as much as you like for £10 Indian Shahi Quila place on ShearBrow in Blackburn?Is it still going?

Yes my wife and I came up to blackburn 16th to 29th dec 2010. We went to Shahi Quila twice. One of those being christmas day. Really good in our opinion. £10.00 eat as much as you want, £12.50 on christmas day, but still good value. Jug of lassie (not dog) £5.00. No alcoholic drinks.

We recommend this place. They are though considering changing the price. As they think that moneywise - cooking 40 dishes - may not be viable at the price they currently charge. If more people start going they will keep it the same.

Just like those who opposed the Tesco too which is a MASSIVE success! It boils down to retired or semi retired busy bodies with nothing to do but moan.

I understand the takeaway aspect having some form of opposition - kids hanging around, litter and so on. The actual restaurant can only be good for the area.

I really hope it takes off and i will be visiting as soon as it opens.

Where is the evidence that it is retired and semi retired people who are objecting? I resent that sort of unsubstantiated crap. I am retired and would welcome a restaurant of that quality in my area.

No argument with the "massive success" for the Tesco. It usually announces that a store opening will create 200 or so new jobs.

What it never mentions is the number of jobs it will destroy elsewhere. If we buy our tins of beans at Tesco then we don't buy our tins of beans from somewhere else. That somewhere else then goes out of business.

Tesco is not in the business of creating jobs, it's in the business of putting it's competitors out of business and maximising profits for its shareholders.

Screwing every other retailer is what it is set up to do. So let's not be naive about it.

I don't agree with the majority of stuff you post but I do with this. :tu:

Yes my wife and I came up to blackburn 16th to 29th dec 2010. We went to Shahi Quila twice. One of those being christmas day. Really good in our opinion. £10.00 eat as much as you want, £12.50 on christmas day, but still good value. Jug of lassie (not dog) £5.00. No alcoholic drinks.

We recommend this place. They are though considering changing the price. As they think that moneywise - cooking 40 dishes - may not be viable at the price they currently charge. If more people start going they will keep it the same.

Very good value if you want filling up but most of the dishes become a little too 'steamed' imo.