BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

• Backroom

I'll echo that. Er indoors had that and it was both tasty and a massive portion. I was ravenous so I had the spare ribs to start and Fish, Chips and peas. btw Regular portion is more than enough!

For anybody that likes fish the Brill main course was excellent.

The only disappointed criticisms were the asparagus and shrimp starter (two warm dishes served with cold tomatoe's doesn't suit) and also the fish curry which is a bit mild and sweet for many tastes.

Just a point but the interior is very well done and tastefully decorated with the options of very private and comfortable booths but the only disappointment being the outside decor which makes it look like a down market Swiss ski chalet.

The in laws live opposite and I'm not a fan of the outside every time I see it but I am assured it will look great once the wood weathers a bit, apparently they have spent an abolute fortune on it. When I first saw it I presumed they were painting it white in a more nautical theme.

I haven't tried it for food but for a cheaper option Bannies at Boundry Mill is great still I think and well priced.

AS - yes it's what was the Hordens

Edited by TCO

I have been to the O & O twice now and i think it is pretty average.

The ribs were excellent. The curry poor.

The chicken plain and bland. The chips from the chip shop, now what i want as a side order, big and chunky please. The menu is weak and further descriptions of the food is a must. The place is lovely and personally i would shy away from such an emphasis on seafood; or extend the menu to include some better dishes.

They should take a look at the Millstone's (Mellor) menu and take notes. That is a quality place.

Also had a lovely sandwhich in the sun at the Butlers on Sunday.

Have to say the food quality at the Butlers has risen significantly from where it was 6 months or so ago. New Chef perhaps?

Edited by 3rdpillar

Have to say the food quality at the Butlers has risen significantly from where it was 6 months or so ago. New Chef perhaps?

2 new chefs. One has worked at both the Fieldens Arms (Mellor Brook) and Northcote Manor and the other worked at the Dunkenhalgh.

Just to echo Vintage Adidas all these places should attempt to emulate the Millstone at Mellor. It does set the benchmark areound here.

Well, had a very good meal at the Oyster & Otter last night. I'm not a fish lover but still enjoyed the Fishcakes starter, followed by Fillet Steak main course. Mrs CLB had the soup to start with, then the Fish Pie main. Both very tasty.

A couple of pints, a glass of wine and two coffees, the whole lot came to 53 quid. Some silly sod (me) opted for his main off the specials board without checking the price - 20 quid - had I had the fish, chips and mushy peas (normal size portion) which I nearly went for, the bill would have come in at around 40 pounds.

Good, friendly service and nicely decorated inside. If you're not into fish, the menu is a little restrictive and could do with being expanded somewhat, but overall a welcome addition to the Blackburn eating scene.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, had a very good meal at the Oyster & Otter last night. I'm not a fish lover but still enjoyed the Fishcakes starter, followed by Fillet Steak main course. Mrs CLB had the soup to start with, then the Fish Pie main. Both very tasty.

A couple of pints, a glass of wine and two coffees, the whole lot came to 53 quid. Some silly sod (me) opted for his main off the specials board without checking the price - 20 quid - had I had the fish, chips and mushy peas (normal size portion) which I nearly went for, the bill would have come in at around 40 pounds.

Good, friendly service and nicely decorated inside. If you're not into fish, the menu is a little restrictive and could do with being expanded somewhat, but overall a welcome addition to the Blackburn eating scene.

Totally agree on the restrictive menu and that is probably why you had to order a steak off the specials.

Has anybody been or know of anyone who has dined at the new Thai restaurant under the Woodlands pub?

Edit: Menu / Gallery

Edited by vintageadidas

• Backroom

Totally agree on the restrictive menu and that is probably why you had to order a steak off the specials.

Has anybody been or know of anyone who has dined at the new Thai restaurant under the Woodlands pub?

Edit: Menu / Gallery

Heard it was average and overpriced but not been myself

We went to Heathcotes bar and grill in Clitheroe last week and I have to say it was extremely poor to say the least.

Its on the site of the Olive press, which we actually enjoyed, but was inconsistent in terms of quality and service.

As for the grill, we arrived and the place was deserted, the walls are covered with Paul Heathcote awards and qualifications, so settled down to in anticipation. Waitress came over and took the drinks order, everything going swimmingly so far.

Debs ordered the grilled fish, which first came in batter, so we sent that back, then basically she got 4 pieces of 2” by 2” fish pieces, cod, mackerel, sea bass and salmon, which was ok, but at £15.50 we felt ripped off, and we’d finished well before her food was returned.

My son ordered traditional fish and chips, £12, and the fish was terrible, mostly batter, I got a burger which was fine, no complaints.

All in all not a patch on Nigel Howarths establishments and we won’t be going again, shame really as the building is great, setup is great, but food isn’t good enough for the price and the choice locally, puts this Place well down the pecking order.

Edited by GAV

We went to Heathcotes bar and grill in Clitheroe last week and I have to say it was extremely poor to say the least.

Its on the site of the Olive press, which we actually enjoyed, but was inconsistent in terms of quality and service.

As for the grill, we arrived and the place was deserted, the walls are covered with Paul Heathcote awards and qualifications, so settled down to in anticipation. Waitress came over and took the drinks order, everything going swimmingly so far.

Debs ordered the grilled fish, which first came in batter, so we sent that back, then basically she got 4 pieces of 2” by 2” fish pieces, cod, mackerel, sea bass and salmon, which was ok, but at £15.50 we felt ripped off, and we’d finished well before her food was returned.

My son ordered traditional fish and chips, £12, and the fish was terrible, mostly batter, I got a burger which was fine, no complaints.

All in all not a patch on Nigel Howarths establishments and we won’t be going again, shame really as the building is great, setup is great, but food isn’t good enough for the price and the choice locally, puts this Place well down the pecking order.

Went in the Clog last night for a pint of Wainwrights whilst my curry was being prepared at the Bukhara, it was 8.30 and the place was almost deserted. When I asked why it was so quiet I was informed that on Sunday nights it now accepts no food orders after 8.00pm. Chicken or the egg? :huh:

It appears our local celeb chefs might be taking their eye off the ball a bit. Cos of who they are they have to charge more or else the illusion given by their reputation is destroyed. Problem for them is making food that bit better than the rest when they themselves aren't cooking it and instead are leaving it to hired hands. I took 'er indoors to Marco Pierre Whites restaurant in Hampshire a couple of years ago, it was OK but bloody dear considering he was nowhere near the place and it was recreated by some hired hand.

These pampered and pompous chefs all eagerly write their books with their recipes in so anybody can recreate what they have devised without fear of copyright etc. Problem they have is that most can be accessed free on't internet anyway. Although I say it myself I pride myself on making effin Gordy's effin Chillie con effin Carne even better than him..... come to think about it I'd wager I've made it more often than him! And possibly there's the rub.

Edited by thenodrog

Interesting. I don't know the Clitheroe operation. The Brasserie in Preston reopened on Friday after being shut for a few years (the Olive Press downstairs stayed open and is still there) and we went on Saturday. It was excellent. There were 5 of us and we went at 6 and wanted to be out by 7.30 to get to something in Chorley at 8. We managed comfortably to have three courses with wine, pre-dinner drinks and coffee in time.

We have eaten there frequently from when it first opened and on Saturday it was as good as it ever was. Classic brasserie fare. We picked from the top end of the menu with wine, cocktails and coffee and the bill came in under £30 a head. Clearly there are plenty of places you can eat cheaper but not many where you can eat at anything like this standard. Northcote and Longridge excepted (and they are both quite a bit more expensive) it was as good as it gets in these parts.

I went there recently and it was blo0dy awful. Service poor and almost every dish oversalted, almost to the point of being inedible.

When you think of the competition in the Ribble Valley it's amazing Heathcote thinks he can get away with such a poor performance.

Had a part business part pleasure run out midweek. Intended to eat at La Laconda at Gisburn but ended up in the recently and well refurbished 'Plough' at Wigglesworth. I expected decent but functional and traditional pub fare (especially on the 2 courses for £12 midweek offer) but I could not have been more wrong. The food we chose was cooked and presented so well that even the standards set by the Millstones at Mellor paled in comparison. Pork belly for starters with a main of lamb shank, apple and red cabbage and creamed mash was absolutely top notch whilst my more conservative gammon (accompanied by a superb but highly unusual home made pineapple relish which involved a touch of curry powder!) left me taking the unusual step of complementing the owner who also served us that either their chef was exceptional, their butcher ...or both. Presentation of all dishes was unusual but spectacularly succesful. Mrs Drog chose a glass or two 0f a pleasant Pinot Grigio served at exactly the right temperature whilst I (wary of doing a Kean) swilled my food down with a truly excellent pint of Timothy Taylors best bitter.

..... Turns out that the owners were previously in charge at the the Three Millstones / West Bradford which had developed an excellent reputation too. I hope this was not just a case of beginners luck but the presence of quite a few other diners on a Thursday evening suggests weekends might get increasingly busy as word gets out.

http://www.ploughinn.info/ If only their spelling matched the standard of their food. :rolleyes:

It appears our local celeb chefs might be taking their eye off the ball a bit. Cos of who they are they have to charge more or else the illusion given by their reputation is destroyed. Problem for them is making food that bit better than the rest when they themselves aren't cooking it and instead are leaving it to hired hands.

I understand from a source who should be in the know that the Freemasons might be suffering a fairly serious liquidity crisis.

• Moderation Lead

Never really venture off the football forums here, but hearing some good recommendations I'll have to check! Cheers!

The last restaurant in the area I went to was The Waddington Arms- definitely a venue I can recommend!

Being gluttons for punishment, we decided to give Algheros, just of junction 3 of the m65 another go and wished we hadn’t. The place is always packed, the atmosphere is great, the location is great, but time and time again the food is simply disappointing.

Ok the pizza and garlic bread was fine, no complaints, but I had Beef Stroganoff from the specials menu, and at £16 you’d expect decent cuts of meat and a familiar sauce, I got nothing of the sort, extremely bland and fatty meat served on the plate like a school dinner.

Every time I’ve been over the years I’ve never been impressed, but the numbers coming through the door tell a different story, or they just don’t know any different.

Needless to say we’ll not be going again.

Being gluttons for punishment, we decided to give Algheros, just of junction 3 of the m65 another go and wished we hadn’t. The place is always packed, the atmosphere is great, the location is great, but time and time again the food is simply disappointing.

Ok the pizza and garlic bread was fine, no complaints, but I had Beef Stroganoff from the specials menu, and at £16 you’d expect decent cuts of meat and a familiar sauce, I got nothing of the sort, extremely bland and fatty meat served on the plate like a school dinner.

Every time I’ve been over the years I’ve never been impressed, but the numbers coming through the door tell a different story, or they just don’t know any different.

Needless to say we’ll not be going again.

Unfathomable why Alghero's is so highly rated. All my mates like it but I detest the place.

Algheros is okay food it is nothing special but it does not try to be something it is not.

Sunday night and hungover "fancy nipping out for tea?" Two minutes away and home within forty five minutes. Job done. That is all i use it for.

The Bruscetta and steak dishes are nice as is the pollo al curry (i know, not very italian but it's very good)

Much better places around for more lavish occasions.