BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the Oyster and Otter with eight friends last night and was extremely impressed. All food freshly prepared to order, the staff were friendly, fun and attentive but not overly so. A good menu choice but not so one felt the range beyond the kitchen's capabilities. All of us felt we'd had a very good evening at just under £15 per head including drinks.

Far superior to the Clog and Billycock which in our collective opinion needs a new menu and "lighter" food as the portions seem to be all about quantity rather than quality, much of the cooking seems quite heavy these days. Two of our party had been to a Newcastle Loch Fyne on Saturday night and felt the O&O superior to that as well.

We will be going back

Edited by Paul

Went to the Oyster and Otter with eight friends last night and was extremely impressed. All food freshly prepared to order, the staff were friendly, fun and attentive but not overly so. A good menu choice but not so one felt the range beyond the kitchen's capabilities. All of us felt we'd had a very good evening at just under £15 per head including drinks.

Far superior to the Clog and Billycock which in our collective opinion needs a new menu and "lighter" food as the portions seem to be all about quantity rather than quality, much of the cooking seems quite heavy these days. Two of our party had been to a Newcastle Loch Fyne on Saturday night and felt the O&O superior to that as well.

We will be going back

Twice in the last 2 saturdays for me at the O&O Paul. I've recommended it on here in the past. They do do most things very well, don't overcharge and imo it is getting busier and busier.

Interestingly on the other side of the coin we were talking in the local last night about hearing a number of bad reports about the Clog recently, also a few comments about the menu needing upgrading too.

I went to the Millstone yesterday for the first time....Fish and Chips for me and them Duck Spring rolls and them Accy Chipolatas.....decent ale too...not as busy as I thought it would be at 5.00pm on a sunday....we didn't know which to go to, millstone or fieldens, but found the millstone first....

I went to the Millstone yesterday for the first time....Fish and Chips for me and them Duck Spring rolls and them Accy Chipolatas.....decent ale too...not as busy as I thought it would be at 5.00pm on a sunday....we didn't know which to go to, millstone or fieldens, but found the millstone first....

The Millstone is very good.

Its always been busy on a Sunday when I have been, saying that I usually go after 6pm.

If/When you go again give the Steak and Kidney Pie a try ;)

Another one we tried for the 1st time this weekend - The Villa in Clitheroe.... on the main road on your way from Blackburn, so very easy to find.

Italian Cuisine, very good standard and decent prices too.... £45 for 2, with Main, starters & drinks.

• 1 month later...

Tried to book a table for 6 in order at the Millstone, Mr Freds and the Oyster and Otter yesterday and all were booked up! Recesssion? What recession? Anyway it turned out to be a real result cos I booked in to the Cafe Tapas on Fairfield Farm complex on the A59 at Mellor.

I couldn't find a tel number until I actually googled 'cafe tapas blackburn'. A secret gem imo which will surely not stay secret for long. Cafe during the day from breakfast turns into a Tapas bar in the evening. For just over a tenner there are a few tasty starting nibbles followed by 6 tapas courses of choice from an extensive menu and accompanied by an absolutely superb paella. If you want more you can have more but tbh what came with the deal was plenty. No licence so it's take your own drinks. So good and so cheap that we left a 20 quid tip for the waitress!

Could be quiet at the moment for a lone couple but absolutely bob on for a larger group of people who like a selection of foods to sample!

Edited by thenodrog

Went to the Grapes at Croston, 15 of us and everybody thought it was very good. After a week in Marrakech I went for the pork mixed grill and only justed mamaged to get through it. The people who had starters were really struggling. The black pudding fritters were very tasty.

• Backroom

a change from all the the usual(boring) indian, chinese, english places in blackburn though(and supposed to be very well priced for what you get).

Probably ok with a group although as I said the food is pretty average

Tried to book a table for 6 in order at the Millstone, Mr Freds and the Oyster and Otter yesterday and all were booked up! Recesssion? What recession? Anyway it turned out to be a real result cos I booked in to the Cafe Tapas on Fairfield Farm complex on the A59 at Mellor.

I couldn't find a tel number until I actually googled 'cafe tapas blackburn'. A secret gem imo which will surely not stay secret for long. Cafe during the day from breakfast turns into a Tapas bar in the evening. For just over a tenner there are a few tasty starting nibbles followed by 6 tapas courses of choice from an extensive menu and accompanied by an absolutely superb paella. If you want more you can have more but tbh what came with the deal was plenty. No licence so it's take your own drinks. So good and so cheap that we left a 20 quid tip for the waitress!

Could be quiet at the moment for a lone couple but absolutely bob on for a larger group of people who like a selection of foods to sample!

It's only occupies small premises but I'm informed that Cafe Tapas was booked up Saturday night!