BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Where abouts is Duk? Is it expensive, what type of food?

Duk is Tapas but with a difference really.

Then menu is seven pages of A4 long and if you tell them a list of ingredients you like they will make something for you. So for example if you want a selection of food you can tell them the items you like pay £10 / £15 and they provide you with a mountain of tapas plates.

They also serve a beer made with Chillies there.

It is incredible, I can't believe how hidden away it is. In Preston it is just off Church Street, towards the Bus Station.

It is next to Yum Yums takeaway across from Manjanas (sp). Just a grotty door leading down to a fabulous restaurant.

I stuck to the menu when i was there and it was bliss but you can ask them to make something you like as aforementioned. But if you cannot find something from 200 dishes, you have a problem.

Edited by vintageadidas

Re Duk.

Never been there, but I went to Inkaa in Horwich, which is the chef/owners previous place and it was great. I'll have to give it a go.

Went to Room in Manchester yesterday. Been twice now. Very good on both occasions.

Have an offer on - £7 for main courses before 7 O'clock and 30% off wine.

Looks like the post ref Little Elephant being (prawn) toast was correct, drove past yesterday evening & there's a banner up saying a mediterranean restaurant is opening soon?

Went Shimla Pinks in Manchester last night (too busy at EastZEast), was quite good, but still nothing beats Anaz (not even Curry Hell from Viz's Lord Harpole in Newcastle).

Anyone been to Vermillion in Manchester/Miles Platting/Sports City/Eastlands/ whatever 'reinvented' name it is this week?

Edited by DingleBaiter

Keep singing the praises of the Anaz in Darwen, and will do again.

I think it's a great barometer of how good a restaurant is, if it's buzzing on a Sunday night.

We went in there at around 9pm tonight after watching a band in a pub, and it was properly buzzing.

Great food as always, not expensive, I know the Akash and Sukhis are also not bad, but for me the Anaz is streets ahead, and is the best curry restaurant in the area.

Wen t'indian on Longsight Rd. £6 for a pint of cider. Place is full of "look at me I,ve made it" types. Biriani was greasy, chicken dry, A "special" dish was no more than a small tray of curry sauce with chicken breast chunks. The other meal tasted nice, but again very small portion.

Should have gone Kiber, but as it was a Saturday evening meal, ...ah well live and learn.

Have tried it and quite impressed.

If you want the best sit down meal its sukhis at Darwen, and for the earlier poster yes Darwen is the centre of the universe!

Yep , tried it, and yes it is good flavourful food, However Hot it is Not. Ask for extra chillis, you will need em.

The people who run it are a bit too familiar and in your face.. sicofantic (sp), i think is the word.

Edited by 3rdpillar

Wen t'indian on Longsight Rd. £6 for a pint of cider. Place is full of "look at me I,ve made it" types. Biriani was greasy, chicken dry, A "special" dish was no more than a small tray of curry sauce with chicken breast chunks. The other meal tasted nice, but again very small portion.

Should have gone Kiber, but as it was a Saturday evening meal, ...ah well live and learn.

Poor fare there. It's curry for the middle classes and just a place to be seen in. You and You's is going the same way. 3rdPillar try down the road at the Bukhara... if you don't mind being the only native in the place that is and if you can stand the big let down of not having a drink with it. Trick is to go out an hour sooner and have an hour longer in the pub afterwards. ;)

Wings chinese in Manchester centre

Leo's Italian in Chorlton (south manc)

Greens vegetarian in West Didsbury (Simon Rimmer's restaurant - the guy off something for the weekend with that Tim Lovejoy). Not usually my cup of tea but they do these cheese sausages and mash in beer gravy and it's to die for!

Best takeway - Mahbub in Chorlton

For those that live Rossendale way:

BEST INDIAN: Ashoka at Rawtenstall,best curry outside of Manchester`s curry mile,also the Copper Pot at Rochdale is very good with great service too.

BEST ITALIAN:Mario`s Bacup,known the guy for years.Very good food indeed,they do Veal which is something you don`t see too often.David Beckham used to go there too when he lived in England!

BEST CHINESE RESTAURANT: The Red Chilli at Bacup good food.I think they also have a restaurant in Manchester too?

BEST CHINESE TAKEAWAY:The Friendly kitchen at Whitworth takes some beating for value.Dishes around the £4 mark including rice and you get plenty.Also there is a cantonese on Burnley road in Bacup called The Happy Valley that does salt and pepper chicken fillets.Mmm superb!

For those that live Rossendale way:

BEST INDIAN: Ashoka at Rawtenstall,best curry outside of Manchester`s curry mile,also the Copper Pot at Rochdale is very good with great service too.

BEST ITALIAN:Mario`s Bacup,known the guy for years.Very good food indeed,they do Veal which is something you don`t see too often.David Beckham used to go there too when he lived in England!

BEST CHINESE RESTAURANT: The Red Chilli at Bacup good food.I think they also have a restaurant in Manchester too?

BEST CHINESE TAKEAWAY:The Friendly kitchen at Whitworth takes some beating for value.Dishes around the £4 mark including rice and you get plenty.Also there is a cantonese on Burnley road in Bacup called The Happy Valley that does salt and pepper chicken fillets.Mmm superb!

The Red Chilly restuarants are owned by the Chi Yip Chinese wholesalers, your right they have one in Manchester, it is the best "Chinese" resturant in Manchester

Went to Heathcotes for the Open Golf weekend on a corporate do; food was fantastic as was the range of unusual gins and also what I can remember of the golf.

If you want a brill chinese then try the Top Wok at Leyland (opposite the lawnmover shop near to the golf course). absolutely fantastic, good value....the only downside is that they are a little too keen on refilling your glass. Also can't beat Lees chinese takeaway at fenni.

Also try my local the Royal Oak at Riley Green for good english food....the lasses serving on also look rather nice in their black pants or skirts and white blouses!!

Also can't beat Lees chinese takeaway at fenni.

Also try my local the Royal Oak at Riley Green for good english food....the lasses serving on also look rather nice in their black pants or skirts and white blouses!!

1. Best hot and sour soup around and belting salt and pepper spare ribs.

2. Oi! Careful..... My mates 15 year old daughter works there.

Hi All, not posted in ages, but was reading this thread and as a person who loves food, I just couldn't resist to chip in.

I agree with Mahbub in Chorlton being one of the best takeaways ever, the only problem is, it is about 30 seconds walk from my house and very convenient, also very unhealthy when you eat there a couple of times a week!

My favourite Indian restaurant at the moment is Akbars on Liverpool Street in Manchester, excellent food in nice surroundings, they scatter rose petals on the table as you go to sit down, which me and the lasses from work think is a very nice touch, although it is popular and does get very busy, they also have the biggest Nan breads I have ever seen, they come out hung on a large rack, if you like curries you must try it out.

For Spanish food, Casa Tapas in Didsbury is very nice, cheap and cheerful and much better then La Tasca which is just over the Road, I am also a big fan Of Croma, there is one in Chorlton and in Town, very good value for money and I really must recommend the prawns for starters!

Hello Theno

Odd thing about veggies.... Why do they always try to make their food sound like meat products? Cheese suasages / veggie burgers / nut cutlets etc to name a few.

It's just putting names to things really. Sausages, burger & cutlets are just shapes or formations of assembled ingredients

A vegetarian friend put it gently & nicely to me recently.

"Go and buy a pack of pork sausages in a polystyrene tray wrapped in cling-film from your local supermarket, then get a real live pig. Put them both in your kitchen and compare the two."

"Vegetarian bacon" has nothing on that image

Happy eating

My favourite Indian restaurant at the moment is Akbars on Liverpool Street in Manchester, excellent food in nice surroundings, they scatter rose petals on the table as you go to sit down, which me and the lasses from work think is a very nice touch, although it is popular and does get very busy, they also have the biggest Nan breads I have ever seen, they come out hung on a large rack, if you like curries you must try it out.

Missed that one when I was last in Manchester. We were going to go for a curry one night but didn't end up doing it. Did go to the Armenian Tavern with Tris which was good. I know he's recommended it on here before and I'd certainly go there again.