BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

My son and his girlfriend went to the Clog and Billycock yesterday and said it was "alright." One orange juice, one shandy, two starters, two burgers (one of which was cold but they'd waited so long couldn't be bothered to complain) for £57!!!!!!

For £57 I'd expect a lot better than "alright" - seems RVI still have a lot to learn. The C&B remains off our list. We are planning to try the Indian in Abbey Village this week.

Debs was saying we've never had a bad meal at the Clogg and I had to conceed shes right, but that said the service has often been poor and a number of times our order has arrived incorrect.

When they get it right is good, but when they get it wrong its poor attention to detail, and its off our list also for now, better alternatives in the area for me.

Be good to hear your thoughts on the Naga, its our favourite Indian at the moment, not the cheapest but very good in our opinion.

Went to the Freemasons Arms at Wiswell last night for my birthday and for the first time. We had a quite outstanding three course meal. Everything was good but the pick was a duck egg custard tart for pudding which reminded me hw good a custard tart can be when done with care. Not cheap (£220 for 6) but worth every penny.

Went to the Freemasons Arms at Wiswell last night for my birthday and for the first time. We had a quite outstanding three course meal. Everything was good but the pick was a duck egg custard tart for pudding which reminded me hw good a custard tart can be when done with care. Not cheap (£220 for 6) but worth every penny.

It is very good but imo given the competition around this area it's way too dear.

£25 for fish & chips - rubbish.

Never had a bad meal at the Clog but it is too boring for me (the menu). I like the choice of things cooked with chilli, soy, ginger and so on. The O&O has a well balanced menu for that.

Still think my favourite restaurant round Lancashire is Cafe Grand and the Grand Hotel, Lytham.

On another note, i do fully TRUST the O&O, C&B and Millstone to serve me freshly prepared food. Sometimes i just don't trust it to be fresh at other local establishments. For example " Breaded King Prawns with a Chilli Sauce" - that could quite easily be purchased wholesale (ready prepared) and you get charged £7 for it.

Well I'd be interested in your recommendations for something as good for what we paid - about £40 a head for three courses with good wine and coffee.

Fair enough comment o2g. I've never got away with that there but I guess the kicker is the wine/drinks bill.

btw I'm speaking as one of twelve (obviously all wearing donkey ears) who forked out over £1200 to Anson Bolton last night for a four course meal followed by a cheese board and a choccy or two with a glass of champagne on arrival and another at midnight! I had refused to go when it was suggested back in September on the grounds of the ludicrous price but er indoors agreed and paid without me knowing.

btw I must say at this point that everything was cooked and served to perfection as always at the Millstone BUT I get increasingly ticked off at establishments using the Festive season to effectively rip off their regular customers! If I'd not gone to the Millstone but instead gone to my local pub last night it would have cost me and er £25 just to get in, eat a few horses hooves and see the new year in! Considering the business I give them and the money that I spend over the year it's damned greedy and damned bad form. Compare this to the gesture by the Railway in Pleasington on Christmas Day of giving everybody their first drink 'on the house'. That is so much like it used to be a generation or so ago.

? Maybe I should have put this on the rant thread.

• Like 1

Fair enough comment o2g. I've never got away with that there but I guess the kicker is the wine/drinks bill.

btw I'm speaking as one of twelve (obviously all wearing donkey ears) who forked out over £1200 to Anson Bolton last night for a four course meal followed by a cheese board and a choccy or two with a glass of champagne on arrival and another at midnight! I had refused to go when it was suggested back in September on the grounds of the ludicrous price but er indoors agreed and paid without me knowing.

btw I must say at this point that everything was cooked and served to perfection as always at the Millstone BUT I get increasingly ticked off at establishments using the Festive season to effectively rip off their regular customers! If I'd not gone to the Millstone but instead gone to my local pub last night it would have cost me and er £25 just to get in, eat a few horses hooves and see the new year in! Considering the business I give them and the money that I spend over the year it's damned greedy and damned bad form. Compare this to the gesture by the Railway in Pleasington on Christmas Day of giving everybody their first drink 'on the house'. That is so much like it used to be a generation or so ago.

? Maybe I should have put this on the rant thread.

We charged normal prices, full and everyone had a great time,

Think you might have been ripped off

Spent a great New Years Eve in Kirkby Lonsdale where there is a plethora of pubs, restaurants and eateries for such a relatively small place. We ate in the Orange Tree, nice little pub with restaurant area behind the bar. Paid normal pub prices (mains £7-10) and very good too. Had a decent pub crawl afterwards.

We've eaten before in Plato's which has good reviews and there's a gem of a place called Avanti (Mediterranean cuisine) where the pizzas are supposed to be 'the best ever.' Will give that one a try sooner rather than later.

Cracking little town that I would recommend to anyone. Oh and scrote free as well.

Is eating out on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve a relatively new thing, like the last 15-20 years? I'm finding more people do it year on year.

If you decide not to eat out on those days because of the price, chances are that other people will go and pay in your stead. Prices are determined by demand and maximum acceptability and for the most part prices are set because people will pay them, even if that means it's not you.

I don't do Christmas (wife does) - I just treat it as any other day. I eat out on Christmas day, have done for years. Normally Indian.

Gave in (wife made me) and went to the Clogg for the first time since its been renovated, must admit I like the new layout, much better than before.

The food was good, although they didn’t have any partridge which was the main reason for going, but that can happen anywhere.

Just a note about the service, still poor even in a deserted restaurant, didn’t get offered the chance to buy a second drink, had to go to the bar, and our plates never got cleared away after we’d finished, we walked up and paid the bill.

This maybe being a bit picky, but you expect a certain standard of service and we didn’t get it, which is a surprise because the lad at front of house is very good and things have improved since he came back I’m assured by friends that have been recently.

Oh well