• England
    • France
    • Ireland
    • Italy
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Grooby
    • The All Blacks

The first round of games are now over and you would have to say that France have been the most impressive team so far and then England. The French totally controlled their game and any ideas of Scotland being favourites was quickly put to bed. England looked good for 50 minutes or so, but the fact that they failed to convert their chances left Wales in the game. Their dramatic down turn allowed Wales back into the game and they took the chances which came their way and deserved their win. The kicking of James Hook was exceptional. As for Ireland, well they looked quite good for the first 15 minutes and I thought that they would go on and win comfortably after the try. But after that, they went backwards and looked as poor as they were in the World Cup. They got a win which is important, but they are going to face better teams than Italy and if they don't improve they will get stuffed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was slightly baffled about the Sackey Non-try, I cant understand why the ref's just dont ask "Any reason why I can't award the try?" instead of "Has a try been scored?"

Because if the first was used then it would have been a try, however I minor point, because its helped England in the past, but would help the number of try's being scored.

At present I expect performances like that from England, it was an excellent 50 minutes then an awful last 30, however I can see the team getting better, the injuries were a major factor, but so was the removal of the awful Parker from the Welsh lineup, after his removal all the restarts were taken by the Welsh and not by the English.

But grounds for optimism, and grounds for lots of smug Welshies, and deservedly so. I note that JimMK2's been awfully quite recently ;)

Watched the Ireland/Italy match again - god Ireland were AWFUL

Would obviously prefer England to win it but don't really mind because it's only egg-chasing.

.........just so long as Wales don't win.

Love it when they cry at Cardiff singing their national tune and then get stuffed out of sight. Absolutely love it .......

Said the journalist who is wanted dead or alive in Wales.

Ireland were very unlucky on Saturday. They were just as good as France in the first right, but were rightly punished for poor turnovers, which you just can't afford to make against sides like France. We continued our good play from the first half into the second and totally dominated the game. I was surprised how our forwards destroyed theirs, it's usually the other way around. We had numerous chances to score more points in the first and second half, but are lacking enough pace in the backs to finish those chances. We could have won, but when you make basic errors like Ireland did in the first half, then you won't win anything. There are a lot of positives to take from the game, considering how poor we were for most of last week.

I watched the England game. They looked quite decent in the first half, but were staggeringly awful in the second. Not many reasons for optimism after that performance. No doubt the return of some players will make them better.

Ireland werent good in the first half, and the only reason they got close to France was the fact that they became slightly better than average and France, due to being inconsistant as tehy're all new, young and inexperienced let them back into the game.

That chip into touch was dreadful right at the end, give it to the forwards to stick up their jumper and ruck and maul forwards, and Ireland would have won that.

as for England - Balshaw was unsurprisingly rubbish, the pack has no leaders and the Newcastle Trio were competantly solid and useful.

St Johny of the A&E deserves lots of credit for his display, and especially that reverse behind the back pass to Sackey for the first try.

Ireland were very unlucky on Saturday. They were just as good as France in the first right, but were rightly punished for poor turnovers, which you just can't afford to make against sides like France. We continued our good play from the first half into the second and totally dominated the game. I was surprised how our forwards destroyed theirs, it's usually the other way around. We had numerous chances to score more points in the first and second half, but are lacking enough pace in the backs to finish those chances. We could have won, but when you make basic errors like Ireland did in the first half, then you won't win anything. There are a lot of positives to take from the game, considering how poor we were for most of last week.

I watched the England game. They looked quite decent in the first half, but were staggeringly awful in the second. Not many reasons for optimism after that performance. No doubt the return of some players will make them better.

France dominated the first half, Ireland dominated the second. On balence the score was about right imo

Don’t know why people are so surprised by the weak French scrum and general lack of power in their forwards. There tight five is probably the weakest in the tournament in terms of general power and size. The same goes for there back row what they do have is good skills and superior mobility. The French are not the complete side and I fully expect them to be beaten and some stage in the tournament due their lack of firepower in their forwards. They do however imo posses the best three-quarters in the world, which makes them a constant threat. They are in a transitional period trying to play a free-running expansive game.

As for Ireland I worry about them, theere is a real lack of talent coming through in terms of forwards outside of the current tight five + P O’Connel- I’d hate to think what would there side would be like if they had a comparable injury list to England.

As for England, there seems to be some issues over fitness defiantly and perhaps even over confidence. Whatever the problem they were truly awful in the second half- this problem needs addressing asap. Italy were brilliant in the second half, just wish they had someone who could create behind there awesome pack.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah but come up against a good team and I'll think you'll be in a hell of a game. Shane Williams was excellent.

England showed that they can play two halves of rugby in one game, and stuffed the french up front and then reaped the benefit. Balshaw on the other hand is still a liability

There was some great rugby yesterday. Wales at times looked like the team that won the Grand Slam a few years ago. Ireland should be more confident about beating them next week after a much better attacking display. Ireland's back three of Murphy, Bowe and Kearney looked so much more threatening than what has gone before and should be retained for the Wales game. The likes of Girvan Dempsey and Shane Horgan should have to wait for their chance to get back in the team. But knowing how Eddie O'Sullivan hates Murphy, he will like nothing more than to drop him for the next game, even after that great performance. Andrew Trimble also showed that he should be starting at centre with O'Driscoll and not D'Arcy (when fit). England did brilliantly to beat France. Ireland showed that even they could boss the French pack and the England forwards did likewise. This was the platform which they built on for a deserved victory.

I think (and want) Wales will be the winners. If not, there will be about 2-4 points separating the top 3. If England win it'll be awful. From what I've seen, they are clueless when the ball is away from a maul or a forward bashing into someone, and then taking 10 minutes for the ball to be given to the backs. Mind you, I haven't seen the France game, and things may have improved.

If Wales did win, they'd be rubbish in 2009. That is inevitable.

• 2 weeks later...
Can't see Wales winning the triple crown or the six nations, I'd be surprised if they win another game now.

Never, ever learn. ;)

Not overly happy to see Ireland lose today but I'm half Welsh so I don't really mind their victory. Next week's game will be a cracker.

I was disappointed that Ireland lost to Wales. I really thought that they could win this one. Wales were the better team from the 30 minute mark onwards and deserved the win. The Scotland v England game was dire. No matter how badly Scotland have been doing, beating England has saved their season. England seem to be getting worse since the World Cup, after another awful performance. The whole Cipriani affair was a nonsense and he should be in the team for Wilkinson, who has been off the pace for a long time now and who's only saving grace is his goal kicking. Wales v France should be a great game.

Archived