BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] This Will Stop Jordans Plan

AndyR

The 39th game.  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of Scudamore's proposal, as it stands?The vote is for Scudamore's proposal that from 2010 an extra prem game will be played at an overseas venue. The idea is that the game will take place in January and the top 5 clubs from the previous season, will be seeded.

• Definately against any Prem games played outside England, ever, no matter how much money is on offer.
    • Possibly in favour, but only if the money is too much to refuse.
    • Possibly in favour, but only if the game overseas was within the 38 games.
    • Possibly in favour of a 39th game overseas, but only if the top 5 aren't seeded.
    • Definately in favour of the present proposal. The game has to move forward and that's one way of progressing.
    • I'll go with Grooby. He's god.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A reply on BBC website beat me to it, April fools 2 months early???

Blackburn Rovers are not the Miami Dolphins! "well Blackburn didnt really pull the numbers in in Singapore, lets give their franchise to someone more deserving'

Jesus H Christ

I pulled that post out, as i'd already started it.

The only way it could work is for a specific week in the season to be allocated, rather than creating new games. Then however somebody loses home advantage for a game, and the associated revenue.

It can only be a good thing for those clubs that consider themselves to be global brands.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Feb 7 2008, 13:04 ) 585629[/snapback]
I pulled that post out, as i'd already started it.

The only way it could work is for a specific week in the season to be allocated, rather than creating new games. Then however somebody loses home advantage for a game, and the associated revenue.

It can only be a good thing for those clubs that consider themselves to be global brands.

I don't think anyone would need to worry about loss of revenue if this went ahead.

My own opinion is that it is going to happen, so we may as well embrace it.....

I wouldn't be against the odd regular game being played abroad. None of this 39 game nonsense though.

The revenue from losing a home game would be well offset by a foreign game I'd imagine but which manager is going to be willing to give up a home game for a few extra quid?

Well to answer my own question and contradict it, I know one who would. Sparky would swap a home game for £300k or whatever. He'd be confident of us beating most teams wherever the game is played.

And thats the problems, isn't it - Football is a product and Football teams are a brand. People criticize people who live in Blackburn who support Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea etc and never go to any of the games. Eventually, if this crazy idea takes off, then I see more and more games being played abroad and less and less games for home supporters to actually attend. There'll be no such thing as supporting a "home" side, they'll just roll up in town once every other month. Supporting a football team will have nothing to do with where you are from - it'll be like choosing between Nike, Adidas, New Balance etc. It's the start of a slippery slope. Money will kill the Sport.

I think this was also mentioned quite while ago and possibly in our European thread last sason and our early Kick off to the extent of just how far will they go.

Now we know and its just plain ridiculous and just proves its just all about money and nothing to do with the Sport.

As Andy R say - it could come down to a draw akin to the Cup Draws to settle the relegation/Champion European places ... absolutely ridiculous

They already complain about to many games, so where is their justification of jetting around the planet just for a one off game.

The way I see it it would also knell the end of the domestic Cups as we know them

I'm also with OscarRaven on this as well and will not be part of the fiasco - just another kick in the teeth for those who attend games

I dont think anything will stop Jordans committment to games UNLESS any of the following occur, and some, maybe described as modern miracles !!

1. He gives up drinking and goes teatotal.

2. He finds a women who dislikes football, falls in love and bows to her every whimper.

3. He has a memory lapse, falls asleep and wakes up from his slumber thinking he is a burnley supporter which gives him the uge to quit following the round ball sport.

4. british rail increase travel prices that are consummerate with weight carried by the passenger !

5. Rovers go bust and are renamed Lancs United.

Maybe we should have a poll on the most likliest !!

Personally, I cant see him ever stopping drinking :rolleyes:

Surely if it is a 39 game season then we will still play each team home and away - It will be an extra fixture on neutral ground so no-one will lose any home revenue but whereas we'd play 18 teams twice we'd be playing one team three times.

Edit - ignore pls. I interpreted a post incorrect...! :s

Best option would be a knock-out mini cup at the end of the season.

That would be good. If it goes ahead the FA should be paying for transport and accommodation for all season ticket holders to the country, as it's our league/clubs soul they are selling the rights to. :P

There will be a meaningful game outside the UK in the end, it just depends who is willing to pay a massive amount for the right to host it.

The top 5 sides seeded? Meaning those 5 clubs would have one extra game, against a club guaranteed to be lower than themselves.

That's wrong.

I don't like the plan full stop - but that very sentence would destroy any semblance of a level playing field.

I don't like the plan full stop - but that very sentence would destroy any semblance of a level playing field.

The other fifteen clubs should kick it into touch then.

To think a club could get relegated off the back of one of these 'fixed' games.

This is when my love of playing in the top division starts to decline especially when money becomes more important than the actual game.

I seriously hope this doesn't happen. It's a kick in the teeth for the fans of the teams and fans of football in general.

Get the money men out of football!

Next thing that will happen is that clubs will get taken over and then move abroad.

You'll be getting teams like Abu Derby County.

Archived