BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] This Will Stop Jordans Plan

AndyR

The 39th game.  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favour of Scudamore's proposal, as it stands?The vote is for Scudamore's proposal that from 2010 an extra prem game will be played at an overseas venue. The idea is that the game will take place in January and the top 5 clubs from the previous season, will be seeded.

• Definately against any Prem games played outside England, ever, no matter how much money is on offer.
    • Possibly in favour, but only if the money is too much to refuse.
    • Possibly in favour, but only if the game overseas was within the 38 games.
    • Possibly in favour of a 39th game overseas, but only if the top 5 aren't seeded.
    • Definately in favour of the present proposal. The game has to move forward and that's one way of progressing.
    • I'll go with Grooby. He's god.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry den, but I didnt read it that EF was telling fans to boycott Ewood.

As for Bryan's last post, he could be right, I might go as far as saying that games will become a reality sport, where results are based on phone in's or text voting. Even as an internet game. by subscription of course. Heck think of all the illegal streaming then.

As rubbish as this whole idea is, if it goes ahead, I am very much in favour of the top 5 seeding. People seem to be saying that its only for helping the big clubs but in monetry and exposure terms it could be great for the smaller clubs. At least there won't just be Man Utd Vs Chelsea and Arsenal Vs Liverpool raking in all the cash and inevitable TV revenue from the games in the far east.

Hope this never ever happens.

Absoluutely scandalous idea that makes a mockery of the Premier League as a serious and valid competition. After a fair and level playing field of playing 2 matches against every other team there is a lottery draw that can bring a relegation-threatened teram up against a top team (= virtual certain defeat) a disinterested mid-table team or a fellow struggler. Unlike the play-offs this is like playing Russian roulette with a club's future at stake rather than a nothing-to-lose lottery. Of course the Big Clubs are going to seed themselves apart so they have nothing to lose. I'm afriad the Premier League is a greedy money-grabbing cartel that has nothing to do with sport and is becoming as commercially bent as professional boxing. Nobody takes that seriously anymore.

As rubbish as this whole idea is, if it goes ahead, I am very much in favour of the top 5 seeding.

Yes wonderful if you are 2 points from relegation and you draw Manu.

I think a knock-out competition at the end would be the best. Say, the 4-10 play in a little competition, winner taking a champions league spot and UEFA cup spots going to the losing finalist and two losing semi-finalists. That would be the only way this sort of idea could work in my mind and even this is a bit stupid.

I think a knock-out competition at the end would be the best. Say, the 4-10 play in a little competition, winner taking a champions league spot and UEFA cup spots going to the losing finalist and two losing semi-finalists. That would be the only way this sort of idea could work in my mind and even this is a bit stupid.

I'd be curious to hear from our Dutch fans what they think of the new end of season playoff system. That would be the only way I would see this working. Too many matches to be done. They should do either something similar to what the Dutch are doing with UEFA Cup places and relegation, or have it only one or 2 matches a season like the NFL.

Why don`t they just move the whole shabang to the US & call it ESL (English Soccer League)??

If this stupid plan to play league games abroad goes ahead, i`ll hang up my scarf & give up on the game i used to love.

:(

It means that you used to be a supporter Fife - and no doubt a very avid roverite, once upon a time.

I fully understand what you're saying, but take you up, when you tell us that you wouldn't go to watch rovers even if you had the opportunity, - tell us to stay away and also tell us that we're fools for doing that.

Apart from that, I've no doubt that you are a very nice man! :)

Oh dear I've done it again! If that is what you have understood me to be saying Den then I am sorry I did not make myself clearer. None of what I have highlighted is what I meant at all. What I was actually meaning was that the people that invented the whole idea of prem leagues as an elite were intending right from the start to make a mint of money out it. And were was that money going to come from? There is only one place it can come from ultimately, and that is out of the pockets of football fans. When I used the term fools meaning all of us fans, I was not trying to be insulting in any way, I was trying to point out that that was how they the PL money grabbers saw us either consciously and intentionally, or otherwise. Do they really imagine that they can go on and on exploiting us without limit?

That is the question I asked myself some time ago and decided that I would no longer be a fool. I have taken the action that I deem appropriate for me. If you or anybody else does not agree then don't do it, but if you do agree that you are being exploited then each one of you must decide for yourself what is the appropriate action for you to take. If you decide that there is nothing you can do about it, as I fully expect most will, then fair enough you carry on getting exploited it is entirely your own choice. On the other hand I fully expect 99% of all those that do think about it deeply enough will decide that they are not actually being exploited at all, and so no need to take any action. Until one day they wake up!

When would these games be fitted into the season?

They can't be played at the end of the regular season, that would be a massive slap in the face to fans who followed their team all season, only to miss out on the most important fixture of the season, ie the one that got them a Euro league place, avoided relegation or even the one that got them relegated.

I cannot get over how ridiculous this is.

Perhaps a one off regular season fixture would have turned my stomach, but a "showpiece" game for the likes of Manchester United or whoever else wouldnt upset me on a personal level.

But the officials of my own clubs supporting a wholesale change to the league to add an extra match, WITH SEEDING TO BENEFIT THE RICHEST CLUBS ALREADY.

What an absolute joke, cheerio top flight football. Hello full time Unibond attendance. I also fully intend to contact both Rovers and the league with my views.

I personally think there's being an over-reaction to this, I've no objection whatsoever to Rovers playing one game a season in Dubai or whatever, (in fact I'd be quite proud to see us on a global stage) the only problem comeswith the luck of the draw with that particular game if you're battling for the title, fighting relegation etc.

(As regards seeding, what would be wrong with first playing second, third playing fourth and so on and so on.?)

And all that said you know the rules before you start, the extra game is proposed for January, so you could argue, if you're still in relegation trouble in April, it's your own fault.

If you need any clue why the 20 Premiership chairmen agreed to look at the proposal, Adam Pearson the Derby boss came on today and said that one game alone would add about 10% on Derby's turnover. (Presumably 4-5m)

John Williams is probably hoping we can get two games a season. :rolleyes:

I dont think anything will stop Jordans committment to games UNLESS any of the following occur, and some, maybe described as modern miracles !!

1. He gives up drinking and goes teatotal.

2. He finds a women who dislikes football, falls in love and bows to her every whimper.

3. He has a memory lapse, falls asleep and wakes up from his slumber thinking he is a burnley supporter which gives him the uge to quit following the round ball sport.

4. british rail increase travel prices that are consummerate with weight carried by the passenger !

5. Rovers go bust and are renamed Lancs United.

Maybe we should have a poll on the most likliest !!

Personally, I cant see him ever stopping drinking :rolleyes:

Current odds

1. 50/1

2. 1000/1

3. 20/1

4. 1/6

5. 3/1

On a serious note....I kind of like the idea. Gives the overseas fans an oppotunity to see Rovers live and fans from here seeing Rovers play a competitive game overseas each year. I do however personally think that if premier league clubs wish to advertise their brand then they do this in pre-season.

Was it not Scudermore who was wanting to reduce the premier league to 18 teams and as such having less games.

What an absolutely stupid idea. Not even the Premier League is stupid enough to put this plan into place.

Imagine; for arguments sake, Rovers and, say, Bolton, are on equal points after 38 games, but Rovers stay in the Premier League on goal difference. Then, Rovers get drawn against Manchester UTD and Bolton draw last place Derby. We get beat and Bolton get a draw, and we face Championship football next season.

Absolute joke.

What an absolutely stupid idea. Not even the Premier League is stupid enough to put this plan into place.

Imagine; for arguments sake, Rovers and, say, Bolton, are on equal points after 38 games, but Rovers stay in the Premier League on goal difference. Then, Rovers get drawn against Manchester UTD and Bolton draw last place Derby. We get beat and Bolton get a draw, and we face Championship football next season.

Absolute joke.

Not going to happen like that, the proposed extra game is in January.

If you need any clue why the 20 Premiership chairmen agreed to look at the proposal, Adam Pearson the Derby boss came on today and said that one game alone would add about 10% on Derby's turnover. (Presumably 4-5m)

Don't see why he should care, It's not as if Derby are going to benefit from the cash.

In fact chucking an extra £5m per season at each club is going to make it even harder for promoted clubs to compete and likewise would probably make relegated clubs too strong for the championship.

As others have mentioned, not one word on the actual fans here. Also no one has said how they think things like ticket allocation is going to work. They want to promote the game overseas and get those supporters involved, therefore, possibly there may be no, or very few tickets available to the UK based supporters.

It doesn't matter when it's played, some teams overall league position will be affected in a negative way because of that extra game. Possibly even relegation.

Agree, if this is to go ahead, it should have absolutely nothing to do with the points. But then it just makes it a showpiece game and no one will go if it's not Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool.

Maybe this is just a ploy so that we can start naming the league winners as "World Champions" in the same way the commentators did after the Giants won the Superbowl.

I personally think there's being an over-reaction to this, I've no objection whatsoever to Rovers playing one game a season in Dubai or whatever, (in fact I'd be quite proud to see us on a global stage) the only problem comeswith the luck of the draw with that particular game if you're battling for the title, fighting relegation etc.

(As regards seeding, what would be wrong with first playing second, third playing fourth and so on and so on.?)

And all that said you know the rules before you start, the extra game is proposed for January, so you could argue, if you're still in relegation trouble in April, it's your own fault.

John Williams is probably hoping we can get two games a season. :rolleyes:

I also thinks its a good idea. i couldnt care less if potentially we might lose out on 3 points if we got man utd as oppose to derby county in this proposed extra game. grew out of caring about things like that as a kid. what i do care about is following rovers away and for me there would be no better buzz than following rovers to somewhere like new york for example.

I also thinks its a good idea. i couldnt care less if potentially we might lose out on 3 points if we got man utd as oppose to derby county in this proposed extra game. grew out of caring about things like that as a kid. what i do care about is following rovers away and for me there would be no better buzz than following rovers to somewhere like new york for example.

New York, great nice and easy to get to and not too expensive. Now try getting to somewhere like Australia for 1 game. 24 hours there, 24 hours back, £700+ in flights alone. Not too sure many fans would make that trip. Heck, some of the more obscure European away games are an absolute nightmare to get to.

Archived