BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] When (in Your Opinion) Was The Last Time We Played Really Well?

I think the general consensus in recent times has been that whilst we have been picking up points, our level of performance has been pretty mixed. In recent times a general observation I have seen and that has been backed up by statistics is that we have been struggling in the first half of games which has usually resulted in us going a goal down but coming back stronger in the second half.

Obviously what a person perceives or interprets will differ from person to person. But I’m curious as to what my fellow Rovers fans think in terms of when was the last game that you felt that we really bossed a game? Or in other words really happy with the overall performance?

For me it probably was the match vs Reading on the 20 October 2007, it was a cracking game and we won 4-2. Yeah we let 2 goals in, but I thought the performance was very good against at the time a good Reading team. We also had numerous chances to score some more goals and our attacking play was breathtaking at times.

I think the general consensus in recent times has been that whilst we have been picking up points, our level of performance has been pretty mixed. In recent times a general observation I have seen and that has been backed up by statistics is that we have been struggling in the first half of games which has usually resulted in us going a goal down but coming back stronger in the second half.

Obviously what a person perceives or interprets will differ from person to person. But I’m curious as to what my fellow Rovers fans think in terms of when was the last game that you felt that we really bossed a game? Or in other words really happy with the overall performance?

For me it probably was the match vs Reading on the 20 October 2007, it was a cracking game and we won 4-2. Yeah we let 2 goals in, but I thought the performance was very good against at the time a good Reading team. We also had numerous chances to score some more goals and our attacking play was breathtaking at times.

Against villa the other week.

We really looked like we were getting back to our best and if Matty`s pen had gone in i think we would have gone on to win the game.

Against villa the other week.

We really looked like we were getting back to our best and if Matty`s pen had gone in i think we would have gone on to win the game.

...But we took the lead in the second half and still drew?

I think you'd have to go back a considerable time for a really good 90 minutes. Against Villa, City and Derby we seemed to play well in patches. Our early season form however does not look like being found in the near future.

You seem to forget the second half of the Reading game were we became lacklustre having only the one chance second half whilst Reading could have scored at least four goals as opposed to the two they got.

...But we took the lead in the second half and still drew?

I think you'd have to go back a considerable time for a really good 90 minutes. Against Villa, City and Derby we seemed to play well in patches. Our early season form however does not look like being found in the near future.

I'm finding it difficult myself to remember when we had a game where we pretty much dominated a game for the full 90 and got a positive result at the same time.

I suppose one could even argue with my choice of the Reading match in that we let them get back 2 goals. *Edit* Like JAL pointed out! ;)

I'm finding it difficult myself to remember when we had a game where we pretty much dominated a game for the full 90 and got a positive result at the same time.

I suppose one could even argue with my choice of the Reading match in that we let them get back 2 goals. *Edit* Like JAL pointed out! ;)

If were being honest when does a team dominate for ninety minutes, but i understand what you mean. We seem to be hanging on more and more relying on one or two key players when it should be spread amogst the team .

Robbie Savages energy seems to be sorely missed for me in the middle of the park, he led the team set the standard and the rest responded.

But whatever happened to Morten Gamst Pedersen and Benni Macarthy.

Dunny's failure to energise himself and take his place amongst former Ewood Park legends hasnt helped either.

It will be interseting this summer not just for Rovers but Mark Hughes.

Saturday, 20 October 2007

Blackburn 4-2

(HT 3-0) Reading

McCarthy 18

Santa Cruz 22

Kerimoglu 32

McCarthy (pen) 82

Doyle 80

Doyle 90

To be honest we let ourselves go at the end there, but that's the best I can do.

The thing is a good number of our players for some reason have suffered a big loss in form/quality, and we didn't have the funds to replace them.

A lot of confusing poor form with the fact that most Prem clubs except Derby know exactly how to nullify each other. How often do any Prem clubs get on top and dominate for 90 minutes against Prem opposition (excluding Derby)? We were spoilt by the 7 goal romps!

And yet we are top half. The Prem is so tough that supporters of every club up to and definitely including Lpool are prob asking that question.

Reallity check required.

I don't see any harm in asking the question and gauging the opinions of Rovers fans.

From a personal point of view i'm happy to be near the top half of the table and in contention for a european place, but i still wonder when our last good solid performance was.

I don't see any harm in asking the question and gauging the opinions of Rovers fans.

From a personal point of view i'm happy to be near the top half of the table and in contention for a european place, but i still wonder when our last good solid performance was.

I think your right to point out when did we last really play well and give the fans the feel good factor and as Revidge points out only on a few occassions have Rovers done that.

The amount of luck we have had this season in gaining a draw away to Chelsea their disallowed goal, Liverpool at home, Everton at home, Sunderland at home.. we should be five points lighter that springs to mind.

This luck cant continue, Hughes needs more quality attacking players for me and Jason Koumas isnt the answer.

I know we lost but I thought we were awsome against Chelski. They didnt deserve a draw never mind a win.

I agree. We were great that day.

Our problem is we play decent football up until the edge of the box and then it just stops with very little end product. That is the reason we have to have Bentley on the right, especially with the lack of MGP crosses from the left. So it's not that we aren't playing well it's more that we just don't create enough.

I wonder how some folks expect us to be dominating games week in, week out. Even Liverpool can't manage that with all their money and star players.

My votes are Chelsea at home, Villa away and Everton at home.

Sure there's room for improvement but no need for the toys to come flying out the pram.

I wonder how some folks expect us to be dominating games week in, week out. Even Liverpool can't manage that with all their money and star players.

People don't expect that and shouldn't expect that. However once again i will say its a valid question to ask when was the last time we played really well for 90 minutes.

Sure there's room for improvement but no need for the toys to come flying out the pram.

Again i don't see that being the case. People have a right to discuss in their opinion when they last felt happy with a Rovers performance.

In terms of comparative levels of spend and support its an amazing achievement we are even in the top half.

For my penny worth I thought we were excellent against Reading. Apart from that I would like to point out that whilst we have not played particularly well equally we have not been dominated by anyone either apart from perhaps Man Utd away. WHen we have been pasted - Villa at home for example - we just get killed on the break. We play decent football, play an attacking style and get hurt by pace.

I'm not sure what people want. There are 2 clubs in the league who both play attractive football and win all the time and they are Man Utd and Arsenal. There are several teams who are doing well by playing it tight and hitting teams on the break- Chelsea, Everton, Villa, Portsmouth. There are only two teams who play a relatively open style in the top half - apart from Man U and Arsenal - and thats ourselves and Liverpool.

We are in the rather impressive position of playing open football whilst having no money and we are in the top half. I'm proud of that. We compete against teams who have much larger resources than us. We do a lot better than teams who have much larger resources.

Archived